Bonenash

Tuesday Actuals: Jurassic World - 13.13M | Inside Out 13.04M

Fudging happens all the time.

Fuck u Terminator Salvation

There seems to be no archives for the BOM forums strangely enough. Would have been interesting to see the threads from pre-2012 with the benefit of hindsight, especially Avatar's run.

• Like 2

Since I didn't see a review thread for Dope I will just post my review here.

As I was watching Dope in a almost empty theater, it sadden me that the majority of film goers will probably not be seeing this film because its a very well made film that deserves to be watched. Its really funny, good acting especially from Shameik Moore, a fantastic soundtrack, and just a good time. If you get the chance, go see this movie.

10178063_10206097820899509_6878546671096

Yeah, this film really got screwed by the studio when they selected its date. This should have been out around February or September, not June.

Which means every double-feature is fudged for both movies on the bill. So with that reasoning, why is any one movie getting singled out by us for being "fudged"?

The term 'fudged' is getting thrown around way too much lately.

Studios books are audited and they all follow standard accepted accounting procedures in reporting their numbers.

The idea that they just move money around to make certain movies look good is laughable.

• Like 4

The reaction I hear  from this movie from friend and family is.

"cool actor, cool action, dino vs trex, hot girl, no bs " 

Pretty much is a well made 90s blockbuster. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

The term 'fudged' is getting thrown around way too much lately.

Studios books are audited and they all follow standard accepted accounting procedures in reporting their numbers.

The idea that they just move money around to make certain movies look good is laughable.

It's important to note that "fudging" does happen on occasion, though.

I think Inside Out should be good for low 50s this weekend. I can sumise this scenario:

53m weekend.

Problem is since it will be under $10 million on Thursday the biggest past Friday increases in late June for Pixar films wouldn't get it to $16 million on Friday.

Problem is since it will be under $10 million on Thursday the biggest past Friday increases in late June for Pixar films wouldn't get it to $16 million on Friday.

I'm not sure why it would be. It would need a big drop today to miss $10m on Thursday.

There seems to be no archives for the BOM forums strangely enough. Would have been interesting to see the threads from pre-2012 with the benefit of hindsight, especially Avatar's run.

I was there for Avatar's run. I predicted 240m :ph34r: Most had it in the 200's and the absolute maximum I saw was 340m and that was considered loonie. Two users did nail avatar though: Kal and BJ. The latter predicted 750m.

Avatar was the most fun I've ever had on the forums. We had users who hadn't been on in 5 years come back to witness the run as well as a ton of new people. Every daily thread had 20+ pages of responses and each and every day (no I'm not exaggerating) Avatar beat even the most bullish predictions for that day. It's holds were sensational and we still even after the first 2 weekends didn't have it above 450m.

It was a beast that will not be touched for a very long time at the box office. I think my Favorite part is one user found an old post of what the next titanic would be and the factors that needed to happen. His username started with an "o". He absolutely nailed every single factor in Avatars run 6 years before it released. I wish I could remember his name as he should go down as one of the best prognosticators in box office history.

Ah the memories.

• Like 1

I was there for Avatar's run. I predicted 240m :ph34r: Most had it in the 200's and the absolute maximum I saw was 340m and that was considered loonie. Two users did nail avatar though: Kal and BJ. The latter predicted 750m.

Avatar was the most fun I've ever had on the forums. We had users who hadn't been on in 5 years come back to witness the run as well as a ton of new people. Every daily thread had 20+ pages of responses and each and every day (no I'm not exaggerating) Avatar beat even the most bullish predictions for that day. It's holds were sensational and we still even after the first 2 weekends didn't have it above 450m.

It was a beast that will not be touched for a very long time at the box office. I think my Favorite part is one user found an old post of what the next titanic would be and the factors that needed to happen. His username started with an "o". He absolutely nailed every single factor in Avatars run 6 years before it released. I wish I could remember his name as he should go down as one of the best prognosticators in box office history.

Ah the memories.

can you post the link of this thread of the forumm if it exists yet cause i m sure there is not avatar box office thread on this forum :/

Ah the memories.

Wished I knew about this site back then, I would've been here to WITNESS THE GLORY!!

Edited by Queen Shar
  • Like 1

ah those were the days...

I can remember posting weekly reviews on it's how it progressed back in the australia box office... it was even more crazy here than the US to be honest.

for example in australia, Avatanic... pushed all the way to 115m in AUD.  That at the time was a mere 5 to 10m short of the adjusted total of Titanic (taking 3D into account).  Using the normal conversion rule this is equilalent of a film making 1.1B at the US domestic box office!  You think it will take a while for a film to pass the US #1 record of only 750m.  At least you will have 2 films > 600m other than avatar.  so it's not completely out of reach ...

In australia our top 5 looks like as follows:

1. Avatar 115m

2. Titanic 57m (63m if you include the re-release)

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 53m

4. The Avengers - 52m

5. Shrek 2 - 50m

• Like 1

One can only get a slight taste of the fun those who followed Avatar's run had, from KJ's Avatar thread.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=41659

Reading that thread made me realize what a monster Titanic was. The daily comparisons are ridiculous, when Avatar broke 600M, Titanic had only done 300M at that point. It earned more than half its gross after its 7th weekend in release.