CJohn

Terminator: Genisys (2015)

Terminator Genisys  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

I'm a huge fan of both T1 and T2. With T1 having the slight edge. T3 is OK action movie but it's pretty much a rehash and it doesn't get the tone right. Although I did like the ending.

I really enjoyed this. It plays with the events of T1 in a neat way. The movie keeps a steady pace with some pretty good action. Arnie is much better here then in T3 and everyone else is pretty good.

I am annoyed at the marketing giving away a key plot point.

Also, it really is a film that depends on the attitude you take into the viewing experience. I can see why some may not like it the way I have.

• Like 9

I'm a huge fan of both T1 and T2. With T1 having the slight edge. T3 is OK action movie but it's pretty much a rehash and it doesn't get the tone right. Although I did like the ending.

I really enjoyed this. It plays with the events of T1 in a neat way. The movie keeps a steady pace with some pretty good action. Arnie is much better here then in T3 and everyone else is pretty good.

I am annoyed at the marketing giving away a key plot point.

Also, it really is a film that depends on the attitude you take into the viewing experience. I can see why some may not like it the way I have.

I  just want to have fun.

• Like 1

Not good.

The action is all-round terrible.  That Arnie vs. Arnie fight that everyone is excited for?  it's a damn joke.  

Awful script that took the time travelling waaaay too far and that's coming from someone who fucking loves time travel.  It never really works, but you shouldn't write it in such a way that it isn't at least sort of feasible.  This ain't that.  It's a dumb fucking jumble that doesn't stand up to any thought whatsoever.  Then they layer on some more!

I did think Emilia was a decent Sarah Connor though.  

• Like 6

This may contain spoilers.

Although I went with flow of the movie these are my questions which weren't answered in the movie.

Who sent a T-1000 back to kill young Sarah Conner at the lake?

Who sent Arnie back to save her?

How was Arnie able to kill a T-1000 when he saved young Sarah at the lake?

Why could Arnie build a functioning time machine pre-1984 but John Conner of 2017 hasn't yet?

How does John Conner even exist if Sarah and Kyle have yet to do the deed?

The movie seems to hint at the idea of a multi-verse. Kyle Reese has memories of two different times lines. Is this something that is supposed to be developed in any sequels?

Although I went with flow of the movie these are my questions which weren't answered in the movie.

Who sent a T-1000 back to kill young Sarah Conner at the lake?

Who sent Arnie back to save her?

How was Arnie able to kill a T-1000 when he saved young Sarah at the lake?

Why could Arnie build a functioning time machine pre-1984 but John Conner of 2017 hasn't yet?

The movie seems to hint at the idea of a multi-verse. Kyle Reese has memories of two different times lines. Is this something that is supposed to be developed in any sequels?

Something about the space time continuum.  It's heavy.

There's a problem with the Earth gravitational pull in the future. :)

• Like 1

Who sent a T-1000 back to kill young Sarah Conner at the lake? My guess is Skynet or John Connor.  But that makes literally no sense now because Skynet NEEDS John Connor to live, so why would they kill his mom thereby killing him?

Who sent Arnie back to save her?  Who the fuck knows?!

How was Arnie able to kill a T-1000 when he saved young Sarah at the lake?  He obviously watched T2 and learned that you can blow him up and make him kind of useless.

Why could Arnie build a functioning time machine pre-1984 but John Conner of 2017 hasn't yet? Because the script needed him to!

This one is actually easy!  Because they are going to do it.  The time travel in the Terminator movies isn't like the time travel in BTTF or Looper(or even a movie like Frequency, there was no actual time travel, but events in the past had an immediate effect on the present(future)) where the future is changed immediately when something is changed.  They are obviously going to hook up and clearly "do it."  Who wouldn't?  She's adorable!  But the problem comes from the fact that they are now in 2017, and who knows when they will have him and stuff.   But, at this point they've changed so much shit, they can't even keep up with it themselves, so who the fuck cares?

The movie seems to hint at the idea of a multi-verse. Kyle Reese has memories of two different times lines. Is this something that is supposed to be developed in any sequels?  That would be something different and could be cool.  Certainly better than "let's go back to the past and try to kill someone related to John Connor."

From the main thread:

Terrible. The story is a mess. The execution lackluster, no style or flair. The action is the standard shit we've come to expect from most modern blockbusters, lacking both edge and creativity. The inane T3-style "comedic" moments are back and are as cringeworthy as ever. The same can also be said for a lot of the dialogue. Clarke and Courtney are horribly miscast. Both are utterly unconvincing in their roles.

All in all Genisys is the kind of dull, forgettable, CG-heavy and OTT blockbuster suitable only for today's ADD audience. Me, I'm getting too old for this shit.

4/10
Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 3

Hey guys, how long is Matt Smith in the film?

It's Matthew Smith now.  Do you know what character he plays?

He's Skynet.  He isn't actually in it very much. He's in it for about 30 seconds with one line of dialogue when Kyle Reese goes back and then during the climax he's a hologram.

Did the marketing reveal his character?  

Edited by DeeCee

Ok, I'll try to give a more full review than the other threads

I love the beginning how they match up this movie with the original and some of T2.  Basically it shows or talks abo ut how they finally kill off Skynet and find the time machine.  It is really all that was missing from the future stories to connect to the start of T1.  The Arnold vs Arnold fight was good.  yes it was a tad shorter than I wanted, but when the older one showed up in the silloette and did the "you won't be needing any clothes" and "I've been waiting for you", the crowd went nuts.

Then following Reese through his whole store and all and seeing how evenrts are now different all around him but he is still doing the same stuff, down to the velcroing of the Nikes, was kind of cool too.

I liked most of the action.  I think the helicopter chase was probably the best part of that.

I think Emilia did pretty good for her part.  I think people forget that in T2, she is much older where here she is still just 20 years old.  So she is still tough, but a bit youthful at the same time.  I don't see a problem in that personally.

Arnold was great, as usual.  i think them showing that a Terminator can grow attachment was a different, but nice touch.  Plus the "upgrade" was pretty good too.

The one completely out of place scene was the Cops theme song playing as they were getting the mug shots.  Don't get me wrong, it was funny, but at the same time, just seemed off.  But the crowd liked it.

Which brings me to the humor, it all worked.  It may be more light hearted than all the other movies, but me and crowd didn't seem to mind.

Jai Courtney was ok.  He did seem a little dry at times even when he wasn't supposed to be.  He didn't ruin the film for me, so I didn't care too much.

There is a mid credit scene and I do mean mid credit.  It just pops up out of nowhere.  It basically shows that Skynet is still alive.

I didn't stay until the end as usual as I had to leave, but I didn't hear there was an end credit though

I could go on, but I think that's a lot of the film

I give it at least a B as it was, at worst, a fun movie.

• Like 4

I found the film to be a bit of a mess.  I did enjoy parts of it and I didn't hate it but there's just way too much altering of the Terminator time line for me to accept.  I guess it can all be chalked up to the line in BTTF 2 where Doc talks about the space time continuum and how the 1985 they now know is not the 1985 they knew before they left. But that's really a stretch.  They really take liberties with the film.  Now, I'm going to get this out of the way immediately.  I don't understand how just because the film is pg-13 that they can't show an ass.  They showed Winslet's breasts in Titanic and there have been plenty of ass shots in films when it's pg-13.  But when Arnold from 84 gets to LA, they black out his ass.  As silly as that sounds, it took me out of the film, albeit briefly.  Then the big fight happens, old grey haired T-800 vs 1984 T-800.  What a waste.  This is where the direction really lacked, or this is where it started to lack. It needed Cameron's eye to do it right and unfortunately, the fight was completely wasted.  For inspiration they should have used the T-1000 fight with Arnold at the mall.  This fight was so horrible that it really left me disappointed.

Now all the time line stuff really gave me a headache.  I can buy that not all of the exposition was told to us, they seem to be saving it for the next film.  But there was just too much of it.  Sara meeting a Terminator at age 9.  John Connor becoming a super Terminator.  John Connor getting accosted by Skynet just as Reese is leaving.  The Terminator apparently worked at Genisys.  Connor works for Genisys.  An alternate time line where Reese has memories of him as a kid in the year 2017.  It's just not something that makes a whole lot of sense.

As I mentioned, the film lacked good direction.  When I check Alan Taylor's credits, it does not surprise me that he directed Thor the Dark World.  It's probably the worst Marvel film and it bored me to tears.  I think he was out of his element here.  It felt stale in a lot of places.  He certainly didn't allow Arnold to be Arnold and I think there were a lot of places that needed more skill.  

I thought Emilia was terrific.  She had the Sara Connor look and her anger was well placed.  She was easily my favourite part of the film.  I also thought Jai was good.  He was actually good despite what was written for him.  I also liked JK simmons a lot and my favourite part of the movie was everything after the bad boys line up shot right up to the end of the helicopter chase.  That felt like we were in a Cameron Terminator.    I didn't quite get why Arnold was upgraded.  Did he fall into the liquid metal pool and now he is part T-1000?  

I'm a little disappointed in the film, I expected more.   I didn't hate it the way I did with Salvation but they could have done a lot more.

6/10

• Like 7

I found the film to be a bit of a mess.  I did enjoy parts of it and I didn't hate it but there's just way too much altering of the Terminator time line for me to accept.  I guess it can all be chalked up to the line in BTTF 2 where Doc talks about the space time continuum and how the 1985 they now know is not the 1985 they knew before they left. But that's really a stretch.  They really take liberties with the film.  Now, I'm going to get this out of the way immediately.  I don't understand how just because the film is pg-13 that they can't show an ass.  They showed Winslet's breasts in Titanic and there have been plenty of ass shots in films when it's pg-13.  But when Arnold from 84 gets to LA, they black out his ass.  As silly as that sounds, it took me out of the film, albeit briefly.  Then the big fight happens, old grey haired T-800 vs 1984 T-800.  What a waste.  This is where the direction really lacked, or this is where it started to lack. It needed Cameron's eye to do it right and unfortunately, the fight was completely wasted.  For inspiration they should have used the T-1000 fight with Arnold at the mall.  This fight was so horrible that it really left me disappointed.

Now all the time line stuff really gave me a headache.  I can buy that not all of the exposition was told to us, they seem to be saving it for the next film.  But there was just too much of it.  Sara meeting a Terminator at age 9.  John Connor becoming a super Terminator.  John Connor getting accosted by Skynet just as Reese is leaving.  The Terminator apparently worked at Genisys.  Connor works for Genisys.  An alternate time line where Reese has memories of him as a kid in the year 2017.  It's just not something that makes a whole lot of sense.

As I mentioned, the film lacked good direction.  When I check Alan Taylor's credits, it does not surprise me that he directed Thor the Dark World.  It's probably the worst Marvel film and it bored me to tears.  I think he was out of his element here.  It felt stale in a lot of places.  He certainly didn't allow Arnold to be Arnold and I think there were a lot of places that needed more skill.  

I thought Emilia was terrific.  She had the Sara Connor look and her anger was well placed.  She was easily my favourite part of the film.  I also thought Jai was good.  He was actually good despite what was written for him.  I also liked JK simmons a lot and my favourite part of the movie was everything after the bad boys line up shot right up to the end of the helicopter chase.  That felt like we were in a Cameron Terminator.    I didn't quite get why Arnold was upgraded.  Did he fall into the liquid metal pool and now he is part T-1000?  

I'm a little disappointed in the film, I expected more.   I didn't hate it the way I did with Salvation but they could have done a lot more.

6/10

LMAO HOLY SHIT, THIS IS HOT GARBAGE. PULL IT FROM THEATERS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.

yX3FjLx.gif

• Like 5