BoxOfficeZ

Monday 6.8 IO, 6.4 JW, 3.6 TED2

Does anyone know when the original Avengers ended its IMAX run? And if it did any significant loss to its daily gross?

I believe IMAX was taken by MiB 3 over Memorial Day weekend. It didn't drastically affect Avengers.

Oh, I see, thanks for the info. I guess we can just say that JW will beat Spiderman's estimated admissions on BOM's charts. lol

haha, we could...but that would be like saying Avatar beat Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park's domestic ticket sales...Avatar is the most overestimated on there due to the 75-80% 3D ratio and over $100m IMAX. It's around 8-10 million tickets behind Jurassic Park but BOM lists it around 10 million tickets ahead (original runs only).

Either way, if you said Jurassic World would come anywhere near the admissions number of SM1 people would laugh you off this website just a month ago.

haha, we could...but that would be like saying Avatar beat Phantom Menace or Jurassic Park's domestic ticket sales...Avatar is the most overestimated on there due to the 75-80% 3D ratio and over $100m IMAX. It's around 8-10 million tickets behind Jurassic Park but BOM lists it around 10 million tickets ahead (original runs only).

Either way, if you said Jurassic World would come anywhere near the admissions number of SM1 people would laugh you off this website just a month ago.

I don't think anyone or the majority of people could have predicted JW's success. Going back, I've seen some OW and even lifetime predictions that were nowhere near even JW's first 2 day gross.

What I was questioning was not why they sign the movies they do, but why they sign anything at all instead of leaving it up to their call in real time.

But I guess it has to do with giving movies the incentive to either film in IMAX or make the conversion.

It's partly that. IMAX gets a benefit when their tech is used in production. But it's also that while IMAX has the brand as THE premium format, it's not like they hold all the cards. If they did something like what you propose, they'd probably get a smaller cut of the pie.

More limited choice but bigger cut of the profits > Specific choice and smaller cut.

Assuming such a thing could even be possible. There might be industry-wide agreements that prevent it.

There are also technical limitations, probably. It's probably not something that can happen on a whim.

I don't think anyone or the majority of people could have predicted JW's success. Going back, I've seen some OW and even lifetime predictions that were nowhere near even JW's first 2 day gross.

Quigley was under 150 total I think and people are still giving him shit about it in the International forum, lol. JP4 is more than doubling the $300m some of the biggest fans were hoping for prior to release week. Pretty incredible stuff. Poor TA2 is the quietest $450m domestic and $1.4B global box office run we will ever see.

• Like 1

I see what you did there. ;)

Really :mellow:

Because I don't known what you're talking about , I was just saying that October is crowded with lots of potentially big adult dramas that could potentially destroy each other

Quigley was under 150 total I think and people are still giving him shit about it in the International forum, lol. JP4 is more than doubling the $300m some of the biggest fans were hoping for prior to release week. Pretty incredible stuff. Poor TA2 is the quietest $450m domestic and $1.4B global box office run we will ever see.

I need to re-read the start of the JW OW thread sometime when I don't have much to do. That was incredible how quickly the bar kept rising and rising once preview numbers came in.

I think this summer is terminated.

No one upcoming film have the appeal of "big event" a la "Avengers 2" or "Jurassic World".

The rest of these movies could be happy if cross the $200M line. We'll don't see another +$300M beast til Christmas... 

• Like 1

On the contrary, but ANT-MAN will be a hit the same way GOTG was.. 300M Domestic is ensured.. I have confidence in this and MARVEL..

Hmmm.... no.

• Like 1

I think this summer is terminated.

No one upcoming film have the appeal of "big event" a la "Avengers 2" or "Jurassic World".

The rest of these movies could be happy if cross the $200M line. We'll don't see another +$300M beast til Christmas... 

You don't think Mockingjay Part 2 will get to $300m?

• Like 2