BoxOfficeZ

Monday 6.8 IO, 6.4 JW, 3.6 TED2

Hopefully both TG and Ant-Man underperform with the IMAX showings that JW gets another run for some shows a little later in the summer.

It won't happen. The IMAX switch-up is happening too often, now. MMFR only managed to get some screens for a week because Tomorrowland had a 3-week engagement and really underperformed.

TG has two weeks. Ant-Man has two weeks. MI has two weeks, I guess. By then we're deep into August and JW won't be a factor.

• Like 1

I don't even get why IMAX signs these contracts instead of just giving their screens to movies based on merit and profit like other screens do. You don't see a theater sign over their largest non-IMAX screen blindly to one movie. If something flops, they can always switch it up.

I don't even get why IMAX signs these contracts instead of just giving their screens to movies based on merit and profit like other screens do. You don't see a theater sign over their largest non-IMAX screen blindly to one movie. If something flops, they can always switch it up.

l

Well the filmmakers want to make sure that putting their film out in that format is worth it

It's MARVEL and when have you ever heard of a MARVEL movie failing Ethan?? When?? And don't say AOU cause that was super high expectations brought on by US, not Whedon or the movie..

I didn't say Ant-Man would fail, I said it wouldn't be the GOTG of the Summer

IMAX gets a bigger share of the gross than the theaters do for their premium large format screens. In exchange, the studios probably have more leverage to guarantee their biggest movies get an IMAX release.

Meanwhile the theaters have way more leverage with their PLF screens. My local Regal dropped JP4 from RPX for fucking Ted 2. I bet they regret that decision, but I am sure they are glad to have the freedom to move stuff around. The thing I like about PLF is that it's more flexible on 2D vs. 3D showtimes. I hate that all shows in IMAX are 3D unless you get lucky (M:I4, Catching Fire, Nolan movies).

• Like 2

Because the contracts are signed well ahead of time and there's no way for IMAX to know what's going to sell well based on "merit and profit" that far before release.

Like, we know NOW that choosing to showcase AoU and Tomorrowland for 3 weeks apiece was a mistake, when they could have done AoU for 2, MMFR for 2, and San Andreas for 2 before JW opened. But earlier this year it looked like giving Avengers and Disney a long period would be the right choice.

The 2 week minimum is pretty standard. It sucks if a film underperforms, especially if you're running a single-screen premium theater, but that's the business. Theaters project the best they can and hope for the best.

• Like 1

It's MARVEL and when have you ever heard of a MARVEL movie failing Ethan?? When?? And don't say AOU cause that was super high expectations brought on by US, not Whedon or the movie..

Ant-Man will miss $200 million.

• Like 1

Because the contracts are signed well ahead of time and there's no way for IMAX to know what's going to sell well based on "merit and profit" that far before release.

Like, we know NOW that choosing to showcase AoU and Tomorrowland for 3 weeks apiece was a mistake, when they could have done AoU for 2, MMFR for 2, and San Andreas for 2 before JW opened. But earlier this year it looked like giving Avengers and Disney a long period would be the right choice.

The 2 week minimum is pretty standard. It sucks if a film underperforms, especially if you're running a single-screen premium theater, but that's the business. Theaters project the best they can and hope for the best.

What I was questioning was not why they sign the movies they do, but why they sign anything at all instead of leaving it up to their call in real time.

But I guess it has to do with giving movies the incentive to either film in IMAX or make the conversion.

Nope.

Jurassic World is at 62,426,100 while Spider man(2002) ended with 69,484,700. It will beat it this week. 

Oh and hey people, new here(although I've been following the box office threads for some time now.) 

• Like 1

Jurassic World is at 62,426,100 while Spider man(2002) ended with 69,484,700. It will beat it this week. 

Oh and hey people, new here(although I've been following the box office threads for some time now.) 

The BOM chart does not properly account for IMAX, 3D, or premium large formats like Regal's RPX or Cinemark's XD. None of this stuff was around in 2002. Other thing is Spider-Man likely sold more kid tickets than Jurassic World. Kid tickets cost less than adult tickets, which is something that really screws up the ticket counts listed on BOM. Shrek 2 is likely very underestimated on there compared to more adult-driven stuff like TDK. In the end, I believe SM1's ticket total is over 70m and JP4 will do very well for itself if it can get over 70m as well.

• Like 1

The BOM chart does not properly account for IMAX, 3D, or premium large formats like Regal's RPX or Cinemark's XD. None of this stuff was around in 2002. Other thing is Spider-Man likely sold more kid tickets than Jurassic World. Kid tickets cost less than adult tickets, which is something that really screws up the ticket counts listed on BOM. Shrek 2 is likely very underestimated on there compared to more adult-driven stuff like TDK. In the end, I believe SM1's ticket total is over 70m and JP4 will do very well for itself if it can get over 70m as well.

Oh, I see, thanks for the info. I guess we can just say that JW will beat Spiderman's estimated admissions on BOM's charts. lol

• Like 2