Alpha

Wednesday Numbers | Official Estimates: Magic Mike XXL - 9.3M; Terminator: Genisys - 8.9M

San Andreas did fine and it was also original. 

I guess it's hard to think about why certain ones hit and others don't. Especially in the case of Tomorrowland vs. San Andreas.

San Andreas had a simple premise. Dwayne Johnson was coming off his biggest hit to date with Furious 7. And a particular female actor featured in the film had gained a good number of new admirers the year before.

Hearing dire WOM on Terminator already.

Not surprised. I thought the trailer was laughable.

"Come with me if you want to live!" Haha.

And Channing Tatum, that's what you get for slagging the Scream franchise. He said to Howard Stern GI Joe contract from Paramount could have been worse, he could have been made to do Scream 5. Well, Let's see Magic Mike XXL do the $175m adjusted gross of Scream 2, you prick.

I'm sure Channing is content actually having a career and relevance, unlike anyone in Scream.

Oh, and 22JS already passed that S2 adjusted gross. Let's see Scream 5 do it.

Another contributing factor to the decline if "original" movies - nowadays you can't attach a huge star to a non-franchise stand-alone thing and expect people to show up.

Let's go back just 15 years. Big original films in 2000:

Cast Away - Tom Hanks, reuniting with the director of Forrest Gump

Gladiator - This one was a surprise, Russell Crowe wasn't that big yet, this is what put him on the map

What Women Want - Mel Gibson was still Mr. Nice Guy, everyone loved him

The Perfect Storm - OK, is this cheating because it's a true story? Either way, George Clooney plus giant waves (Classic "SFX money shot" marketing of the 90s era)

What Lies Beneath - Harrison Ford

Also, this whole "blockbusters used to be original" is only really half-true. Yeah, it applies to some, but stuff like Speed is no more original than San Andreas, except in the specific high concept. The pitch for Speed was literally "Die Hard on a bus". Original, yet simultaneously derivative.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

It had the Rock and the disaster genre is generally pretty durable

I'd mainly give it to The Rock, particularly coming off of Furious 7. A lot of people thought the disaster formula was deflated after Into the Storm. And some people thought the Rock wasn't worth a whole lot unless he's reinvigorating a pre-existing franchise.

But not risky or unfamiliar in any way. 

Well, Tomorrowland is awful and while I liked both JA and Chappie, reception was far from good either.

Well, Tomorrowland is awful and while I liked both JA and Chappie, reception was far from good either.

If we're talking about wholly or mostly original concepts, you need a solid reception to make it big.

We've seen movies like San Andreas before, so that isn't wholly original.

Another contributing factor to the decline if "original" movies - nowadays you can't attach a huge star to a non-franchise stand-alone thing and expect people to show up.

Let's go back just 15 years. Big original films in 2000:

Cast Away - Tom Hanks, reuniting with the director of Forrest Gump

Gladiator - This one was a surprise, Russell Crowe wasn't that big yet, this is what put him on the map

What Women Want - Mel Gibson was still Mr. Nice Guy, everyone loved him

The Perfect Storm - OK, is this cheating because it's a true story? Either way, George Clooney plus giant waves (Classic "SFX money shot" marketing of the 90s era)

What Lies Beneath - Harrison Ford

Also, this whole "blockbusters used to be original" is only really half-true. Yeah, it applies to some, but stuff like Speed is no more original than San Andreas, except in the specific high concept. The pitch for Speed was literally "Die Hard on a bus". Original, yet simultaneously derivative.

Good point.

Hollywood always relied on star power to make or break risky studio projects. Even going back as far as the golden age.

Now with the death of star power the best way to minimize risk is by using a built in audience with endless sequels.

Here's a fun game. How many risky, original blockbusters/hits of the past can we all actually name? (Should we include adaptations of existing works that were still risky projects, or stuff based on historical events?)

You should keep it within the past 10 years.

Actually, I was thinking within the last 40 years. I feel like we've built up somewhat of a myth of something which didn't really exist to the degree we "remember."

The only risky, original blockbusters I can think of off the top of my head is Star Wars, Titanic (if you count historical fiction) and Avatar. Almost everything else, I can think of ways it either wasn't risky or wasn't original.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1