CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

The fact that Minions is going up to 117 makes me really pissed it couldn't muster the extra 4m to get Shrek 3 off the record. Sucks such an awful movie has kept one of the longer records in modern box office.

Minions got more than a fair shot though. They opened on 6pm Thursday and had 3D. I don't know if wom spreads around on weekend 1 (assuming Minions wom was meh) and that affected it negatively. Shrek 3 too had bad wom. Maybe opening at 6pm gives ample opportunity for wom to spread.

Minions got more than a fair shot though. They opened on 6pm Thursday and had 3D. I don't know if wom spreads around on weekend 1 (assuming Minions wom was meh) and that affected it negatively. Shrek 3 too had bad wom. Maybe opening at 6pm gives ample opportunity for wom to spread.

But look at it's Sunday drop. I dont see any evidence at all of bad WOM. It is just such a huge opener. And it is an animation. It's legs will be good. Can't see anything lower than 350m, which would barely be a 3 multi, and that is if it doesn't increase again from estimates.

But look at it's Sunday drop. I dont see any evidence at all of bad WOM. It is just such a huge opener. And it is an animation. It's legs will be good. Can't see anything lower than 350m, which would barely be a 3 multi, and that is if it doesn't increase again from estimates.

Yeah. Topping Shrek 3 is not gonna be easy. It was a sequel to a 440m+ 2D animation.

quick check Minions Sun think 30.5-32

Thanks for the update. Anything on IO and JW?

would just say prob  both around 5.5

Minions 31, JW 5.3,IO 5.2, tG 4.2, MM@ 2.4,Gal 2.2

With Actuals JP4,IO should increase both Fri/sat, probably be few other increases as well TG Fri for one

• Like 12

With Actuals JP4,IO should increase both Fri/sat, probably be few other increases as well TG Fri for one

Excellent drop for Minions - is that like a -20% Sunday? Amazing

Exactly!

Thanks!

So with JW decreasing and IO increasing can these two switch their place when the actuals come in? :mellow:

Thanks!

So with JW decreasing and IO increasing can these two switch their place when the actuals come in? :mellow:

How would that be possible? Even with Sunday increase, IO number is behind JW.

JW had bigger days all the weekend.

Thanks!

I doubt it. JW has the higher Saturday and Sunday and both barely have any differences on their Friday gross.

IO wins weekdays, JW wins weekends, so funny  :P They are neck to neck to end of their legs

IO won last weekend. It'll probably win the forthcoming weekends, too.

Both have had pretty strong legs so far. All the weekend drops have been under 50%. (I think for wide releases this summer with at least 4 weekends, only Spy and MMFR can say the same.)

IO should have dropped around 60% against an opener like Minions. 43% drop means it is having insane WOM.

IO would have probably made 20m this weekend had Minions not opened. Minions opening will probably have probably effect IO's final gross by about 10-15m

IO would have probably made 20m this weekend had Minions not opened. Minions opening will probably have probably effect IO's final gross by about 10-15m

IO had faced little direct competition especially for a summer movie. Minions just normalized things. One cannot hope of no competition. It again has a clear run for a few weeks. With just Mininos, in the long run IO has still been better off than other big animations when it comes to competition (and good for it).

Edited by a2k