CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Shrek 2, Forrest Gump and Home Alone are probably the most oddball of the films to hit the all-time top 5 unadjusted. Not just because they're films you wouldn't expect to have made as much as they did/sold as many tickets as they did, but because their reputation 10+ years later doesn't seem to match with their performance.

Forrest Gump is beloved. Look at the IMDB rating. It's not exactly a fanboy movie either so I think the ratings are more honest for that particular film. Home Alone is still loved by people who grew up with it like me. It's a Christmas tradition. The sequel is really good too. Laugh my ass off every time I watch those movies. I don't think I will ever be too old to laugh at those movies, haha.

• Like 5

Oh, make no mistake, I love Home Alone. A lot of people do. It's one of the movies my family watches every Christmas - I think we've watched it every Christmas since it came out on VHS in '91. It's just that it's sometimes forgotten HOW big it was theatrically.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Shrek 2, Forrest Gump and Home Alone are probably the most oddball of the films to hit the all-time top 5 unadjusted. Not just because they're films you wouldn't expect to have made as much as they did/sold as many tickets as they did, but because their reputation 10+ years later doesn't seem to match with their performance.

What are you talking about? Everyone loves Forest Gump

except Tele

• Like 1

Minions will not break the domestic record :lol:

Suuuure, because it has bad WOM? Lol, you should really look at the other markets. The movie is staying flat or increasing in the second weekend and breaking records everywhere. That is evidence of great WOM. With a 130m OW it would only need average animation legs to become the highest grossing animated flick.

• Like 2

Oh, make no mistake, I love Home Alone. A lot of people do. It's one of the movies my family watches every Christmas - I think we've watched it every Christmas since it came out on VHS in '91. It's just that it's sometimes forgotten HOW big it was theatrically.

Yeah, bigger than B89 by quite a margin yet B89 is still talked about due to shattering the weekend record. But when you watch Home Alone, you can easily see why it did so well with audiences. It's funny and the story has something for everyone. The McCallisters seem like a terrible family but you could easily imagine other families interacting like that, lol.

• Like 3

Suuuure, because it has bad WOM? Lol, you should really look at the other markets. The movie is staying flat or increasing in the second weekend and breaking records everywhere. That is evidence of great WOM. With a 130m OW it would only need average animation legs to become the highest grossing animated flick.

Its not necessarily the WOM, but just that the movie was always going to be more front loaded than the typical animation. I think a 2.7-2.9x multi is what this film will end up seeing

• Like 3

And that is without 3D.

I wonder how the mojo forums reacted to the first 2 days gross and then the rest of the run.

Oh man, it's been a while but I vaguely remember those days. i don't think the movie was ever expected to be as big as it turned out but I think people expected the opening day to be bigger than it was. After the number came in, no one, and i mean no one, so that opening weekend happening, lol.

And then it just kept going and going. 

Yeah, bigger than B89 by quite a margin yet B89 is still talked about due to shattering the weekend record. But when you watch Home Alone, you can easily see why it did so well with audiences. It's funny and the story has something for everyone. The McCallisters seem like a terrible family but you could easily imagine other families interacting like that, lol.

Catherine O'Hara is so great in that movie. I almost wonder if she could have gotten a Best Supporting Actress nomination. I'd love to know if she was on the nominee voting ballot.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Yep. No artistic integrity in Minions. Took them two weeks to make it.

Have you read the reviews? They've flat out said, unlike the first two DMs, Minions doesn't even try to entertain adults. 

Where's the thematic depth? Where's the narrative substance? Pixar, most WDAS, Studio Ghibli, some DreamWorks, Laika and Aardman have this in spades. Somehow, I can't imagine Minions has this, just based off reviews and the trailers. 

If you can find that, I might admit Minions have artistic integrity. Visually, it may look good, but the story is almost non-existent. Decent animation doesn't make a film great. It could have easily been written over 2-3 days, like Rocky. "Minions look for greatest supervillain to serve". Way too easy to come up with that idea. 

Go Minions!

Happy for Spy crossing 100M after a disappointing OW I thought it wont reach that anymore :D

The reason Spy did $100m with a $30m OW is because of the good WOM and rave reviews.

I feel Gareth Edwards was given the same control over Godzilla. And, before him, Jackson over Lord Of The Rings and Cuaron with Prisoner Of Azkaban. Not to mention, Raimi seemed to essentially do what he wanted with Spidey. Ang Lee with The Hulk as well. And, no doubt, I totally agree with you.

Even MOS, like it or not, certainly feels like a Zach Snyder movie. Now, whether that worked or not is obviously up for debate, but at least there IS a debate, and I'll take something that's significantly flawed and interesting over something that's blandly totally competent and completely forgettable any day of the week. What's even the point of getting someone like Webb or CT if you're not gonna let them have any creative control potential that has been shown by their indie resume? You might as well just get one of the million competent TV directors who know how to work within a producer's system, like the Russos. And if studios are picking directors based on level of control rather than directorial vision, do they HAVE to pick only mid 30 white guys? If the artistic vision has no bearing on the movie, you might as well give someone underrepresented a chance (though obviously the optimal situation would be for these underrepresented directors to actually be given the opportunity to direct something with significant creative input, ala Cuaron with POA, for one example). 

• Like 1