grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

The end result will probably just be . . .fine.

This is the only place I really see outright unanimous hate, but then again, I saw the same with Beauty and the Beast here. The rest of the hate has calmed down on other sites and social media somewhat since the release of the actual trailer. The Whole New World cover is also blowing up right now.

No offense but what in the heck are you smoking. Aladdin's absolutely savaged on social media.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No offense but what in the heck are you smoking. Aladdin's absolutely savaged on social media.

Someone apparently doesn't understand SOMEWHAT in a post,

Of course the hate is there, just like it was for Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Maleficent, Alice, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Pete's Dragon, Christopher Robin, and all these other live action Disney movies. 

There's not even enough reactions from the people that saw it earlier in the week to really give you an actual idea on how the movie is, except they all seem to really like Will Smith as the genie.

But compared to the reaction to the first look at the live action genie, there is SIGNIFICANTLY less hate towards it and more the traditional "Why can't Disney do anything original and stop remaking their animated movies" spiel that goes on with each and every one of these. You could make a Mean Girls style Burn Book out of all the videos and posts people do against these remakes. 

Lion King gets it too, when it's not just people excitedly posting BEYONCE?!?! and yet the movies going to make a shit ton of money.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Someone apparently doesn't understand SOMEWHAT in a post,

Of course the hate is there, just like it was for Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Maleficent, Alice, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Pete's Dragon, Christopher Robin, and all these other live action Disney movies. 

But compared to the reaction to the first look at the live action genie, there is SIGNIFICANTLY less hate towards it and more the traditional "Why can't Disney do anything original and stop remaking their animated movies" spiel that goes on with each and every one of these. You could make a Mean Girls style Burn Book out of all the videos and posts people do against these remakes. 

Lion King gets it too, when it's not just people excitedly posting BEYONCE?!?! and yet the movies going to make a shit ton of money.

No there is a lot of Aladdin-specific disdain for it. While TLK has the usual suspects, there's still a ton of hype for it. I've seen nothing but disdain for Guy Ritchie being the director, the brownface controversies, the Genie design etc etc.

37 minutes ago, movieboner said:

$175 million budget yikes

Hard to imagine anything smaller for a movie like this, that was Dumbo I think:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09227447/filing-history

They had spend on it 200m by november 2017(and received a nice 38.5m in tax credit by then it look like) 

That Aladdin I think:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09359156/filing-history

Around 166m spent by january 2018.

Next account update on both will give us a better idea of the total spending.

Building a worldwide brand that if it a success will help feed for a decade the parks/Disney+/etc... content, from one of those Disney renaissance crown jewel property, not a place to go cheap and try to make 15m more on the movie side profits imo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mulder said:

No there is a lot of Aladdin-specific disdain for it. While TLK has the usual suspects, there's still a ton of hype for it. I've seen nothing but disdain for Guy Ritchie being the director, the brownface controversies, the Genie design etc etc.

I'm quite possibly the one person on this board that is the most hyped for Lion King. It's going to be an absolute game changer in the special effects department.

Aladdin was always, always going to be the hardest one for people to accept a remake of. But outside of film buffs and movie forum posters, who actually knows who Guy Ritchie is? The brownface controversies, I'll give you that. That's inexcusable. 

The genie is a weird case. Internet went crazy saying how bad the design looked in the sneak peek. Then the actual trailer dropped and the reaction towards him changed for the most part. Sure you got people complaining about a CGI genie but most people pretty much figured when Will Smith was announced he'd be playing a CGI blue genie. 

So basically, when it was revealed that he was a big blue CGI genie, people went all surprised Pikachu.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, movieboner said:

$175 million budget yikes

That's actually pretty standard for these remakes, so not really surprising. 

42 minutes ago, TMP said:

Dumbo cost the same

Deadline stated some time ago that Dumbo's budget was around $130 million, and Wikipedia says it cost $150.

3 minutes ago, rihrey said:

Deadline stated some time ago that Dumbo's budget was around $130 million, and Wikipedia says it cost $150.

Disney had spent 200m Dumbo 2 year's before it's release, deadline said 170m at one point:

https://deadline.com/2019/03/dumbo-box-office-results-disney-us-jordan-peele-weekend-1202584883/

After shelling out $170M to make a movie based on a 78-year old Disney cornerstone character, this can’t be celebrated as a grand slam in the wake of Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Cinderella, and Maleficent

Same for LA Time:

https://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-box-office-dumbo-us-20190327-story.html

All being said though, I believe Aladdin will pull a Pirates 5 

Thursday Nights: 6 million

3-Day OW: 70 million

4-Day OW: 85 million

Total Domestic: 150 million

Global: Somewhere around 700-800 million

But if it makes more in spite of what this board thinks. . . heheheehehehahahahhah

Watched the original Aladdin and its just as good as ever. Really a very solid film. However what really elevates it at the end is that final fight. Insane animation and really creative.

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

All being said though, I believe Aladdin will pull a Pirates 5 

Thursday Nights: 6 million

3-Day OW: 70 million

4-Day OW: 85 million

Total Domestic: 150 million

Global: Somewhere around 700-800 million

But if it makes more in spite of what this board thinks. . . heheheehehehahahahhah

I’m thinking $8M/$80M/$105M/$240M/$800M.