BoxOfficeZ

Wednesday: Minions 11.1, IO 2.6, JW 2.2

So it looks like Minions, after an OW 26m greater, will have a second weekend within 5m of IO's second one. Looks like its gonna start losing ground to IO as early as next friday, probably before...

Somehow I don't think Universal cares. It cost $100m less to produce than Inside Out.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 4

You don't think Disney spent a lot marketing a movie they spent $175m just on production?

I don't think it's as big as Universal spent on Minions. I've never seen a movie in my country being heavily marketed like Minions before, they're literally everywhere.

Somehow I don't think Universal cares. It cost $100m less to produce than Inside Out.

Disney reasonably spent 150 mil marketing Inside Out (those are the usual Pixar figures). We know Uni spent 300 million marketing Minions. It's a huge success for them, but we can't pretend they spent any less than a massive blockbuster did. 

(bumping Minions up to 11.35 (-33%) btw) 

Disney reasonably spent 150 mil marketing Inside Out (those are the usual Pixar figures). We know Uni spent 300 million marketing Minions. It's a huge success for them, but we can't pretend they spent any less than a massive blockbuster did. 

How are IO, JW looking?

Where did you get the $300m number? That sounds outrageous.

Anyways, anybody keep forgetting a Marvel movie is opening tomorrow? 

Well I have tickets to a sold out showing tonight, so...

Anyways, let's be honest here and say that no matter what Minions does at this point it's a win for Universal. At this point it's kind of like why Fox keeps renewing the Simpsons, and why Pixar is making Cars 3... whatever keeps the franchise alive and making merch money is all good.

Edited by goldenstate5

I know that Universal's promotional partners spent over 500m on their own marketing. (Minions-branded non-toy merchandise, basically). Universal obviously spent a ton as well, but I haven't seen anything about their numbers.

I misquoted the source but found this - Bloomberg says companies paid 593m for all promotions. Not sure what the breakdown is between each company and Uni but I imagine the studio paid at least half that amount for their own promotion (25 mil for TV ads alone). When the budget's that small and you know you can hit at least 700 mil worldwide, it's easy to go all out. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-10/-minions-593-million-publicity-spree-points-to-film-profit

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

I misquoted the source but found this - Bloomberg says companies paid 593m for all promotions. Not sure what the breakdown is between each company and Uni but I imagine the studio is on the hook for half of that.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-10/-minions-593-million-publicity-spree-points-to-film-profit

That figure doesn't include Universal's marketing push.

Partners alone have delivered $593 million in ads and promotions, Universal said.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

I misquoted the source but found this - Bloomberg says companies paid 593m for all promotions. Not sure what the breakdown is between each company and Uni but I imagine the studio paid at least half that amount for their own promotion (25 mil for TV ads alone). When the budget's that small and you know you can hit at least 700 mil worldwide, it's easy to go all out. 

The $593m was just from the other partners, not Universal. That's pretty amazing in and of itself, but I guess there was plenty of money to be made on merchandising so the partners didn't mind ponying up.