grim22

Weekend Actuals 7/17-7/19 | Ant-Man 57.23M DEMOLISHING , Minions 49.27M TOXIC WOM, TW 30.1M,IO 11.54M, JW 11.45M CRUMBLING

Think about it. What did Universal expect in return if it spent 600m on promotion. 1b dom? Who would greenlight that much money?

I know the article and the source of the number you are referring to. That was not what Universal spent on Minions P&A.

They spent the normal range 130-170m.

Obviously is a long range promotion, concerning also home video, toys, licensing and merchandise that for an animated franchise are most important than cinema gross. Do You know the numbers of DM franchise? They are insane but the Minions alone are in strong risk of overexposition. In other hands we know that Frozen has generated more than 5 billions of global revenues in less than two years, so 600m isn't a wrong number.

That's too long. Focus can do better than that.

Yes he can. Come on focus show us what you're made of!

It's also worth noting that barring the first few pages, this whole thread including its titled is centred on Focus.  :lol:

• Like 1

JW is a franchise film and IO is an original film, let's not play a college team against an NFL team. Losing on its OW then on it's second weekend, being 0-2 down the great coach Mr WoM turned things around and it's 2-3 now against JW.

• Like 5

Yes he can. Come on focus show us what you're made of!

It's also worth noting that barring the first few pages, this whole thread including its titled is centred on Focus.  :lol:

It's the Focus weekend actuals thread.

• Like 3

"IO ended Pixar's Streak"

It hit #1 in its 3rd weekend, so it continued Pixar's streak of #1 films at the weekend box office. And that Minions drop is huge, I predict a final domestic gross of $320 million.

• Like 1

Obviously both Jurassic World and Inside Out are gigantic hits and at the end of the day, Universal would have been very happy if you told them 6 months ago that JW would be doing IO #s.

This is the truth.

• Like 1

God. This is the issue with fan-boyism. To not be content with IO's run universally tagged as 'amazing'. But to try to justify clubbing it with JW, a movie that will out-gross it by roughly 300m. "JW is a franchise film and IO is an original film"...so if a sequel to IO were made you would expect it to match JW?

This. I love IO and am happy to see it do well, but I see absolutely no point to pit it against JW as if there's some rivalry. What is that even good for? They're both doing well beyond expectations and making huge bank. Making it a race seems both unnecessary and a bit silly considering you basically have to remove JW's opening week to even make it remotely close.

• Like 1

I think it just has to do with  we immediately compare things even if they aren't remotely related.  But also Disney and Universal are so intertwined whether it's movies or their theme parks. 

No, you are trolling because we have financial figures that prove that you're full of shit.

Minions is #2 while Ant-Man debuted at #1.

"IO ended Pixar's Streak"

It hit #1 in its 3rd weekend, so it continued Pixar's streak of #1 films at the weekend box office. And that Minions drop is huge, I predict a final domestic gross of $320 million.

No. Pixar had a streak at debuting at #1. IO failed to do so.