Asyulus

Official Weekend Estimates |MI5 - 56M; Vacation - 14.9M; Ant-Man - 12.6M; Minions - 12.2M; Pixels - 10.4M; Trainwreck - 9.7M| Pg58

So there was that discussion earlier about not believing that Ferguson could do those takedown moves. Did someone say that because the men she was fighting were bigger and stronger, it shouldn't have been possible?

What she's doing isn't about strength or size, it's about physics.

Real world example:

giphy.gif

When I first saw it, I wasn't quite sure how it worked. Like, the woman is just in mid-air without anything to leverage the throw, right? Except she does, her whole body and movement is the leverage. The man can't stop the movement even if he's bigger and stronger unless he wants to snap his neck.

• Like 8

So there was that discussion earlier about not believing that Ferguson could do those takedown moves. Did someone say that because the men she was fighting were bigger and stronger, it shouldn't have been possible?

Real world example:

When I first saw it, I wasn't quite sure how it worked. Like, the woman is just in mid-air without anything to leverage the throw, right? Except she does, her whole body and movement is the leverage. The man can't stop the movement even if he's bigger and stronger unless he wants to snap his neck.

Around 30 years back I worked 2 jobs, at the weekends as a (female) bouncer. I'm of average height (what here is average height) means 5 foot 7 to 8 inches. Normal body... (there is a pic of me in the pic-thread).

I could then 'throw' my then partner on the bed standing not directly by the bed, as in he was completly on the bed = the complete length. His weight then was 108kg.

I once carried a male guest, 1 head higher than me - out of the ... what do you call a 'Disco' in English?

I'm not the only female that is/was able to do that, neither here/now nor in the past.

Anyone really knowledgeable (is that a word?) about history should know about e,g, why e.g. Romans had a very high respect for ~ German female warriors and why they needed other sizes of armies whilst fighting against tribes, that today are considered German.

I'm pretty sure similar details are to find in other countries / regions present and past too.

I also know female martial arts fighters very much able to 'finish' way bigger / heavier males...

• Like 2

Real world example:

giphy.gif

Plus, hasn't Black Widow done that at least once or twice?

• Like 1

I think it's worth noting that they were in the middle of filming MI5 at the end of January when Paramount pushed the film up FIVE MONTHS. That cut post-production time on the film from nine months to three and a half. The fact that the film was ready at all is amazing, let alone the fact that it's (IMO) the best Mission film.

No doubt, MI5 is a high quality movie but I feel they miss the opportunity to do something truly special with that airplane scene

because I think it is surprisingly way too brief and abruptly cut to opening credit.

Edited by grim22

No doubt, MI5 is a high quality movie but I feel they miss the opportunity to do something truly special with that airplane scene

because I think it is surprisingly way too brief and abruptly cut to opening credit.

The action in general just doesn't have that edge to it that Ghost Protocol doss where just as the tension starts to ease up they throw something new on the table and you're right back on the edge of your seat

• Like 1

The action in general just doesn't have that edge to it that Ghost Protocol doss where just as the tension starts to ease up they throw something new on the table and you're right back on the edge of your seat

That was my thought too, but that doesn't mean the action was bad. GP just has a few of the better action sequences in several years. RN > GP for plot/characterization GP > RN for action and thrills. Neither was bad in any of those aspects though. For me preferring one over the other will probably always come down to what kind of mood I'm in when I see them.

• Like 2

But I think that level of stunt driving shown in this movie reaches a new level of awesomeness. If FF7 is a very fulfilling fast food full of fat & carb, MI:RN is like a plate of gourmet burger. I wish they do something more with the action (the plane sequence, the final chase & fight) but the presentation displays old fashioned skill and I appreciate that. The sound design in that scene should earn the movie at least a Sound FX Editing nomination. The theater exploded into laughter at the way Ilsa ended the motorbike chase. Very bad-ass.

• Like 2

Just admit this movie sucks compared to Ghost Protocol Ethan and get it over with.. :popcorn:

It doesn't though its just a very different film that doesn't rely on action as much but instead fleshes out the characters more thoroughly and puts them in new situations and lets you look at them from different angles then you've seen them from before.

Meanwhile in Portugal box office is exploding so insanely theater managers are struggling to keep up with the demand. My local theater sold both their 360 seats screens tonight (Minions and The Courtyard of the Ballads), plus one of the 170 seats screen (preview show of Rogue Nation, which only opens on August 13). Add to this Pixels, Ant-Man and Beyond the Reach which together sold around 150 tickets, and the theater boomed past 1000 tickets just in the 9 PM shows today. So beautiful. 

Meanwhile tickets have increased 20 cents a couple of months ago thanks to the explosion of 2015 in ticket sales, which is way above 2014, 2013 and I think 2012 as well at the same point in time. 3D is also dead. It is over. 3D is not a thing anymore in Portugal. The future of the rest of the world right here. Pixels only has one 3D show per theater at 6 PM. That is it. Same happened with every major blockbuster since Age of Ultron. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

That was my thought too, but that doesn't mean the action was bad. GP just has a few of the better action sequences in several years. RN > GP for plot/characterization GP > RN for action and thrills. Neither was bad in any of those aspects though. For me preferring one over the other will probably always come down to what kind of mood I'm in when I see them.

Yeah I agree with most of what you have to say here. Both film are all around incredibly strong but I will probably always prefer Ghost Protocol though and I don't mean to take anything away from Rogue Nation because its brilliant but Ghost Protocol is just so perfect to me.

• Like 1

But I think that level of stunt driving shown in this movie reaches a new level of awesomeness. If FF7 is a very fulfilling fast food full of fat & carb, MI:RN is like a plate of gourmet burger. I wish they do something more with the action (the plane sequence, the final chase & fight) but the presentation displays old fashioned skill and I appreciate that. The sound design in that scene should earn the movie at least a Sound FX Editing nomination. The theater exploded into laughter at the way Ilsa ended the motorbike chase. Very bad-ass.

Yeah the action in it is great ( and certainly better than anything from Furious 7) but during some of the action sequences you have to kick yourself and remind yourself not to compare it to Ghost Protocol before you can really settle into it. Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1

But if you combine RN's awesome bike chase with MI1's CIA vault scene & GP's Dubai spiderman scene, you have a troika of spy movie essential ingredients.