Halba

Spotlight - November 2015 (mark ruffalo, michael keaton, liev schreiber, rachel mcadams)

lol. This is not an Oscar front-runner. This year's biggest Oscar contenders are coming out really late.

The pundits haven't been too hot this year. If it gets in it'll be bottom five.

I don't really trust pundits in general anymore. Remember how they were so sure Selma would get a bunch of nominations despite tons of evidence that it wouldn't?

I don't really trust pundits in general anymore. Remember how they were so sure Selma would get a bunch of nominations despite tons of evidence that it wouldn't?

I fell for it too. :P

This screams "good TIFF reception but soon forgotten about as the real players make themselves clear."

I think the most surprising story of TIFF is this huge buzz following Brooklyn after a quiet Sundance.

• Like 1

this has a good shot for best picture. currently on RT its the #2 ranked hollywood film(not incl anomalisa which is very experimental)

the top 3 are (ave rating to separate them)

Carol 8.9/10 - 23 reviews

Spotlight 8.7/10 (best ensemble) - 29 reviews

Brooklyn 8.6/10 - only 16 reviews.

nothing to separate the above. more reviews will see if there is any meaningful difference.

because of the higher profile ensemble, spotlight has a very good shot. Even if its ave rating is lower, it doesnt matter .Birdman didnt have the highest rating and won best picture.  Even whiplash, boyhood and selma had higher ratings, yet all missed out. So its not just about the highest RT average.

Keaton is absolutely at his peak now.

Brooklyn doesnt have a good shot for BP imho, because of the lesser profile cast.

now we await what bridge of spies, revenant and in the heart of the sea. These are the bigger budget oscar candidates and have the advantage of scale and "Event" film nature.

Edited by Halba

HOLY FUCK, BENEFITS OF TAKING A FILM CLASS:

My professor put together a film festival about investigative journalism, and the opening night film is Spotlight and she's inviting her students and I'm going to see it next week LGHSDJKCSUDKGHJVFWDKSU

• Like 1

HOLY FUCK, BENEFITS OF TAKING A FILM CLASS:

My professor put together a film festival about investigative journalism, and the opening night film is Spotlight and she's inviting her students and I'm going to see it next week LGHSDJKCSUDKGHJVFWDKSU

That's great. She should've gotten "Truth" because it is the better journalism movie. ;) Edited by TStechnij

That's great. She should've gotten "Truth" because it is the better journalism movie. ;)

Who cares sdjkhfbassdfjbk it's like an invitation only screening with the people from the Boston Globe and apparently Mark Ruffalo and another actor might come too. Website of info: http://investigativefilmfestival.com

This is so rad.

He is referring to the clip the air at the Oscar's as they announce each nominee. Those clips usually have a fair bit of scenery chewing and melodrama.

That being said, Keaton has a few moments that are loud and fun. Ruffalo had the most passion of the team but I'm sure the Academy is more incline to reward Keaton over Ruffalo.