New predictions:

Original:

1. Spotlight

2. Inside Out

3. The Hateful Eight

4. Bridge of Spies

5. Trainwreck

Spoilers: Son of Saul, Love and Mercy

Joy bombing throws a big question mark for the fifth spot. Trainwreck seems like the best possibility.

Adapted:

1. The Martian

2. Carol

3. Steve Jobs

4. The Revenant

5. Brooklyn

Spoilers: Room, Creed

It's getting harder and harder for Jobs to win this, it needs a BP nomination to win IMO.

Original Screenplay:

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Spotlight

Suffragette

Alt: Trainwreck

Adapted Screenplay:

Brooklyn

Carol

The Martian

The Revenant

Room

Alt: Steve Jobs

Took me a while for original screenplay. Went with Suffergate as it just seems like something the Oscars would like-Trainwreck is something that would of been nominated before the indies took over that category (though Bridesmaids did get nominated, but it use to be a lot more common for mainstream comedies to be nominated for OS)

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Spotlight

Son of Saul

Inside Out, Spotlight, and The Hateful Eight seem approximate to being locked at this point (with Spotlight being the only one 100% guaranteed), and Bridge of Spies has enough prowess to get the fourth spot. I'd say Son of Saul is getting the last spot, as Foreign contenders usually can sneak into these categories, and reviews are great so far. If anything can keep the fifth spot from Joy, it's that.

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Anomalisa

The Big Short

Carol

Room

Steve Jobs

Anomalisa is the only questionable pick of these three, but given the current raves and the Academy's love of Kaufman, I see it getting in.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎55‎:‎12‎, The Panda said:

Adapted, and it should get in.  It got a Globe nom and the screenplay is one of the highlights apparently.

So should I drop Brooklyn or Room?

Adapted (with precursor wins/nominations):

1. The Big Short (0/3)

2. Room (3/13)

3. The Martian (1/10)

------------------------

4. Carol (2/10)

------------------------

5. Steve Jobs (0/14)

6. Brooklyn (1/8)

7. The Revenant (0/2)

8. Star Wars (0/0)

I don't think anything is locked here. The Big Short is a late bloomer and is the only movie that can challenge Spotlight at this point so I have it #1 here. Room has picked up a lot of precursors and NBR has an insane track record for Adapted Screenplay so I'm not doubting The Martian. Carol has fared pretty well in precursors but no Globe nomination is a concern. The last spot's pretty tough; right now I'm going with Steve Jobs since it has the most precursor nominations. Brooklyn is losing steam, The Revenant really hasn't done well in precursors, and then there's the unknown quantity of Star Wars.

Original Screenplay update:

Bridge of Spies

The Hateful Eight

Inside Out

Spotlight

Straight Outta Compton

Alt: Trainwreck

Adding in Compton, though music films tend to never be nominated here, but still you never know!

I'm starting to wonder if IO misses Original Screenplay. The guilds are largely ignoring it, and a lot of rising newcomers are also competing for the original category. Primarily Ex Machina, Sicario, and SOC.

I know it wasn't eligible for WGA, but I'm still concerned. Even just how this film is getting cast to the wayside is wildly frustrating.

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I'm starting to wonder if IO misses Original Screenplay. The guilds are largely ignoring it, and a lot of rising newcomers are also competing for the original category. Primarily Ex Machina, Sicario, and SOC.

I know it wasn't eligible for WGA, but I'm still concerned. Even just how this film is getting cast to the wayside is wildly frustrating.

It's weird - the academy fell all over themselves to get UP in on what it could back in '09, but in what is arguably a weaker year and to me a much better script in Inside Out, I can't figure out why its not making more traction. Particularly how in the summer it was all the pundits were talking about (its award chances.) If Anamolisa was taking the heat away I could understand that, but even that film isn't making much traction.

25 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

IO should still be safe.