kayumanggi

WEEKEND ACTUALS [4-day] | 10.91 M AWITW | 10.85 M SOC | summer 2015 with 2nd fewest tickets sold in over 20 years

A very optimistic top 20 projection:

1. Finding Dory - $505m

2. Captain America: Civil War - $420m

3. The Secret Life of Pets - $325m

4. X-men: Apocalypse - $275m

5. Suicide Squad - $275m

6. The Bourne Betrayal - $225m

7. Ghostbusters - $215m

8. ID4 2 - $205m

9. Star Trek Beyond - $200m

10. Alice 2 - $170m

11. TMNT 2 - $160m

12. The BFG - $150m

13. Central Intelligence - $140m

14. Ice Age 5 - $140m

15. Now You See Me 2 - $125m

16. Neighbors 2- $120m

17. Tarzan - $105m

18. Angry Birds - $90m

19. King Arthur - $85m

20. The Conjuring 2 - $85m

That would put the top 20 a solid 400m ahead of this year's. Not that I expect the top 20 to actually be that fantastic. Best case scenario.

• Like 1

I think the major studios would prefer a summer like 2014 where they didn't have any bombs (but no outright huge breakouts) as opposed to the feast or famine of this summer.

Would they? I thought there was all sorts of hand wringing over the lack of megahits. This summer (and year in general) has been a lesson in "be careful what you wish for." Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Again for the reason of releasing it first, right?

Again: no

re-read, several reasons, logically every  news station wants to be first, but it's a sign of quality to be able to fastly releasing something sounding like quality. It's more to NOT embarress yourself with behing behind all the others.

Plus as better the release is as higher is the probability people stay with your station or... to hear more or ....

It's simple one of the things you as a ~ customer will expect from a station or magazine or whatever outlet of a certain (better) reputaion

Some did the same even around 1920... (as in since ages)

The Secret Life of Pets is very unlikely to crack $300m, it would need a OW similar to Minions for that to happen and given it opens the same day as Star Trek 3, that's not going to happen.

The Secret Life of Pets is gonna perform like the first Despicable Me. 

The Secret Life of Pets is gonna perform like the first Despicable Me.

DM was well received though and didn't really have family competition since both The Sorcerers Apprentice and Legends of the Guardians both bombed, Pets isn't so lucky as it faces Ice Age, Petes Dragon and Kobo and the Two Strings as well as Ghostbusters, BFG, Bourne and Suicide Squad. I personally think Universal moving Pets from a fairly cushy February slot to July was not a good move. Edited by Jonwo

DM was well received though and didn't really have family competition since both The Sorcerers Apprentice and Legends of the Guardians both bombed, Pets isn't so lucky as it faces Ice Age, Petes Dragon and Kobo and the Two Strings as well as Ghostbusters, BFG, Bourne and Suicide Squad. I personally think Universal moving Pets from a fairly cushy February slot to July was not a good move.

Pets is gonna do crazy numbers. People are gonna love those cute animals, WOM is gonna be terrific. Ice Age 5 will end up moving. Pete's Dragon opens like 1 month after Pets :lol: I think 300M are quite possible but for now I am sticking with DM1 numbers.

• Like 2

It's a pretty standard media practice that goes back years and years...preparing for the inevitable. It's like the news equivalent of having a will.

Again for the reason of releasing it first, right?

Not exactly. Back in the days when print newspapers were the primary news source, the idea was that a paper wanted to be ready so that when they got the word that someone famous had died, they could get a well written article into the next day's paper without having to give one of their writers a large, unexpected last-minute assignment.

• Like 2

Pets is gonna do crazy numbers. People are gonna love those cute animals, WOM is gonna be terrific. Ice Age 5 will end up moving. Pete's Dragon opens like 1 month after Pets :lol: I think 300M are quite possible but for now I am sticking with DM1 numbers.

Things is, it's one of many animated talking animals films in 2016 and I think that may work against it.

Not exactly. Back in the days when print newspapers were the primary news source, the idea was that a paper wanted to be ready so that when they got the word that someone famous had died, they could get a well written article into the next day's paper without having to give one of their writers a large, unexpected last-minute assignment.

I think Heads of states get their obituary already written and updated every year or so. I think broadcasters rehearse the death of say The Queen so that they're prepared for when it does happen.

• Like 1

Clearly none of you noticed the stupid hype on social media when the first teaser was released.

I noticed that. But the time of the teaser release and the film's actual release are two different things.

Families, come July 2016, will have already spent a lot of money for films like CA: CIVIL WAR, THE ANGRY BIRDS, ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, TMNT II, and FINDING DORY.

I'm not saying it's impossible though.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 2

I noticed that. But the time of the teaser release and the film's actual release are two different things.

Families, come July 2016, will have already spent a lot of money for films like CA: CIVIL WAR, THE ANGRY BIRDS, ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS, TMNT II, and FINDING DORY.

I'm not saying it's impossible though.

Many people thought HTTYD2 would do $300m but it ended up doing $177m, I think people are getting carrying away due to how great Illumination has done with DM and Minions. A $150-200m domestic gross would still be good for Pets since the budget will be $75m.

Many people thought HTTYD2 would do $300m but it ended up doing $177m, I think people are getting carrying away due to how great Illumination has done with DM and Minions. A $150-200m domestic gross would still be good for Pets since the budget will be $75m.

There is 0% chance Pets does less than 200M.

• Like 1