kayumanggi

WEEKEND ACTUALS [4-day] | 10.91 M AWITW | 10.85 M SOC | summer 2015 with 2nd fewest tickets sold in over 20 years

:lol: you've lost it

I said 2 or 3 days before release date Inside Out would do 80M OW and in the day before I mentioned a potential 90M OW. 

But we are talking about a movie 10 months away. My opinion might change. I might be saying it will struggle to reach 100M in 6 months :lol: 

I think Heads of states get their obituary already written and updated every year or so. I think broadcasters rehearse the death of say The Queen so that they're prepared for when it does happen.

Other big-time politicians and older figures in entertainment/literature/sports, too... When Red Auerbach (legendary Boston Celtics coach) actually died, I remember Bill Simmons writing a column about his days at a newspaper in the mid-1990s, when he discovered the newspaper's file of prepared obits and how it freaked him out that this was a thing. When Heath Ledger died, there were stories about the wire services and major outlets not having a ready-to-go obit due to his age, and that they only really did advance obituaries for stars under 30 if they were kind of known trainwrecks, in and out of jail or rehab repeatedly. I don't know if that's still true or not, though. But if you've ever had to write an obituary, it's hard, and even if you're detached from the person, it's just easier be prepared than have to come up with something on the fly.

How often does it happen that the overall #1 movie isn't even in the Top 10 for engagements? I would love to see an admissions break down of War Room.

Who knows with Pets? Did anyone see Home making what it did? But it might break out, it might not.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Other big-time politicians and older figures in entertainment/literature/sports, too... When Red Auerbach (legendary Boston Celtics coach) actually died, I remember Bill Simmons writing a column about his days at a newspaper in the mid-1990s, when he discovered the newspaper's file of prepared obits and how it freaked him out that this was a thing. When Heath Ledger died, there were stories about the wire services and major outlets not having a ready-to-go obit due to his age, and that they only really did advance obituaries for stars under 30 if they were kind of known trainwrecks, in and out of jail or rehab repeatedly. I don't know if that's still true or not, though. But if you've ever had to write an obituary, it's hard, and even if you're detached from the person, it's just easier be prepared than have to come up with something on the fly.

How often does it happen that the overall #1 movie isn't even in the Top 10 for engagements? I would love to see an admissions break down of War Room.

Who knows with Pets? Did anyone see Home making what it did? But it might break out, it might not.

I wonder how many times they've updated really old actors' obituaries. Kirk Douglas' for example was probably written back in the 50s or 60s or maybe even earlier given he's nearly 100

The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: Teachers in Seattle to strike Wednesday as negotiations with school district fail.

I wonder if someone can take an eye on changes in cinema ticket sales for Wednesday there, curious about if it might have an impact (for my cause and reaction in movie business studies)

Pets is gonna do crazy numbers. People are gonna love those cute animals, WOM is gonna be terrific. Ice Age 5 will end up moving. Pete's Dragon opens like 1 month after Pets :lol: I think 300M are quite possible but for now I am sticking with DM1 numbers.

DM1 #'s are absolutely happening, unless Dory becomes the Titanic of animation and just completely dominates the market. Illumination are the marketing kings (they got the horrid Lorax to open huge) and the Pets teaser has gone over with kids in theaters I've seen it in like none I've ever seen for an original animated movie. It got far more and far bigger laughs than the entirety of Minions when I saw that. Furthermore, what kid doesn't love pets?

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

You are barred from predicting Illumination film grosses after you told us about 10 million times that there was zero chance for Minions to go over 250m. ;)

I'm not saying Pets can't go over 200M but I don't think we can guarantee that it well yet

I have to admit the Pets teaser was much funnier than anything in Minions. The audience response was great in the theater I was in. It could do very well. Very well domestic would be 250. It won't be sniffing DMfranchise OS numbers but should do 400+ if marketed well. That's a very successful original animated box office run.

Edited by Planodisney

I'm not saying Pets can't go over 200M but I don't think we can guarantee that it well yet

Well no we can't. We couldn't actually guarantee AoU as the #1 film of the summer in spite many people "guaranteeing" it as the #1 film of the year before May. But it has a fantastic shot to go over 200m. Illumination will do as much as they can to ensure a big opening like they have with all their films. If they could get Lorax to 70m several years ago, then Inside Out's OW seems like a likely bar to set.

• Like 1

You are barred from predicting Illumination film grosses after you told us about 10 million times that there was zero chance for Minions to go over 250m. ;)

I was happy when Minions finally released because at least we wouldn't see that "85M OW max" comment in every single thread anymore.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2