WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

To some degree it is, but the film really wears thin because its the same scene over and over and over again. So the first time you see her spinning out of controlled in space and shit its kinda of exciting but after that... Whatever

She only spins around one time....

• Like 3

Gravity, Instersteller and now The Martian.   3 back to back to back quality sci-fi space movies in a row during fall time.   All of them had a solid opening as well.   "The Martian" should have so pretty good legs off that opening.  I'm going to check it out next week.  Always been a fan of Ridley and his brother.   I'm glad Ridley is moving back more towards sci-fi.  

• Like 3

I feel like the Martian is really a crowd pleaser. There was about a span of three minutes of film where the entire theatre was just erupting in laughter. ( these three minutes included one visual gag that was so incredibly hilarious it caused me to spill my water and I think I actually clapped at that moment too which is something I never do during a movie)

• Like 1

SICARIO earned an estimated $4.28M on Friday in its first day of wide release. Domestic total is now $7.28M.
#Sicario
— BoxOffice (@BoxOffice)
October 3, 2015

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Much better than estimates last night. Good.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

I think considering how many of us were looking forward The Martian a strangely low number of has seen it at this point (which is a shame because all I want to do is talk about how fucking brilliant it is)

It's really fun, a feel good story. The final act was eh. Good work from cast all around. Mackenzie Davis = waifu

B+

The Martian: $53 million

Hotel Transylvania 2: $33 million 

Sicario: $13.5 million 

The Intern: $12.5 million 

Not too shabby! 

The Martian will leg its way to $200 million+ DOM, since The Walk is looking to do similar numbers to Everest, and everything else this month targets a slightly different demo (Pan/Goosebumps=kids, Crimson Peak=horror crowd, Bridge of Spies=older adults, Steve Jobs=younger adults)

Hotel Transylvania 2 should be able to get $150 million+ DOM, as long as Pan/Goosebumps doesn't hurt it too much. 

Sicario might be able to leg its way to $45-55 million DOM, while The Intern very well could leg its way to $75-85 million DOM, since it has almost no competition for the next 2 months (Our Brand is Crisis and Sisters being the only films targeting a similar demo). It's looking to have a mini-Proposal esque run. 

The Visit and War Room also continue to hold well

That makes it 3 in a row for plausible sci-fi blockbusters. The Martian might not go as high as 700m like Gravity and Interstellar, but it's going over 500m WW for sure. If Passengers also becomes a hit next fall, we have a trend.

And it happens only a few years after NASA stopped sending people in space.