WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread | Official estimate: The Martian 55M. Rth Sunday Est Pg43: 13.4M. Gravity will remain October OW record holder.

I didn't splurge on 3D like I originally intended but some scenes seemed like they'd be too dark for 3D.

I saw it at an AMC Prime Theater and it looked and sounded great. No brightness issues in the least. But sometimes that can happen at other theaters which is a shame. This actually may have been the crispest and clearest film I have seen yet. Visually speaking, it was pretty state-of-the-art.

• Like 2

The Joy trailer is pretty abysmal at giving the GA any hint of what it's about. They may be putting too much stock in J Law. They still need to sell the movie. DOR's name has little relevance to the GA. 

Completely agree. It's good as a teaser trailer, but they really need a true theatrical trailer. Similar to The Revenant, that had an interesting teaser but it really needed the most recent one to sell it imo. 

Martian is better than Gravity and slightly better than Interstellar. It's Scott's best since Gladiator, and the performances are pretty great. The movie is pretty amazing.

That being said, I don't think it's getting a BP nom, and Damon getting a Best Actor nom is a long shot. I can see this being like Interstellar, where it does very well in the technical categories.

As for now, I think Martian is in my bottom half of the top 10 for the year. 6th or 7th place I would say, but I have to double check the movies that are already occupying those spots.

• Like 1

Martian is better than Gravity and slightly better than Interstellar. It's Scott's best since Gladiator, and the performances are pretty great. The movie is pretty amazing.

That being said, I don't think it's getting a BP nom, and Damon getting a Best Actor nom is a long shot. I can see this being like Interstellar, where it does very well in the technical categories.

As for now, I think Martian is in my bottom half of the top 10 for the year. 6th or 7th place I would say, but I have to double check the movies that are already occupying those spots.

For all its flaws, Interstellar is still my favorite of the 3 but they are all really great and I'm so glad to be getting sci-fi films of this quality in such a short span. Awesome for fans of the genre. 

The Joy trailer is pretty abysmal at giving the GA any hint of what it's about. They may be putting too much stock in J Law. They still need to sell the movie. DOR's name has little relevance to the GA. 

Is it a drama? A comedy? What's up with the shotgun? Makes J Law look like a sociopath...???

For all its flaws, Interstellar is still my favorite of the 3 but they are all really great and I'm so glad to be getting sci-fi films of this quality in such a short span. Awesome for fans of the genre. 

I think what was so great about The Martian was that it combined what was good about both movies, plus added it's own little flair. It had (not quite on the same scale but still) the cool effects of Gravity plus some of the emotional weight of Interstellar minus the stupid ending.

• Like 1

I saw the trailer today with the Martian and its almost as bad as the reverent. She's an inventor of some kind apparently? No idea.

I think what was so great about The Martian was that it combined what was good about both movies, plus added it's own little flair. It had (not quite on the same scale but still) the cool effects of Gravity plus some of the emotional weight of Interstellar minus the stupid ending.

Lol. I liked the Interstellar ending but totally agree otherwise. The Martian is a grade A blockbuster and it's got everything going for it - a great story, cast, director, and visual world. I can't say enough good things about it. 

• Like 1

Gravity is the best movie of 2013

Her is the best piece of cinema tho

We agree to disagree... in the Gravity part. I love the other movie you mention and I might just agree with what you said about it.
  • Like 1