WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Ratatouille is a masterpiece, but it's weird to think despite his first three films being great, every Brad Bird film is worse than the previous one

Disagree, Incredibles is better than Iron Giant IMO.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2011 is such an underrated year, IMO. Alot of people shit on it because the Oscar nominees were boring and featured Extremely Dumb and Incredibly Stupid, but it had some ace blockbusters (ROTPOTA, First Class, DH2), some awesome mid size movies that didn't get the pub they deserved (50/50 and Warrior, two of my favorites of the decade, and Ides of March, which inspired me to go into poli comm), some awesome movies that DID get the attention (Moneyball!!!! and the Descendents), and some movies that get shit on more than they probably should for various reasons online (The Help, Dragon Tattoo, and fuck you, the Artist). Goes to show it's all a matter of taste. Outside of IB, Star Trek, and kinda Hurt Locker and Avatar, 2009 sucked hard for me. 

• Like 3

2011 is such an underrated year, IMO. Alot of people shit on it because the Oscar nominees were boring and featured Extremely Dumb and Incredibly Stupid, but it had some ace blockbusters (ROTPOTA, First Class, DH2), some awesome mid size movies that didn't get the pub they deserved (50/50 and Warrior, two of my favorites of the decade, and Ides of March, which inspired me to go into poli comm), some awesome movies that DID get the attention (Moneyball!!!! and the Descendents), and some movies that get shit on more than they probably should for various reasons online (The Help, Dragon Tattoo, and fuck you, the Artist). Goes to show it's all a matter of taste. Outside of IB, Star Trek, and kinda Hurt Locker and Avatar, 2009 sucked hard for me.

First Class was pretty average.

First Class was pretty average.

Eh, matter of opinion, of course. I'm not a big fan of jamming movies into categories like this, but I think First Class is one of the best large-scale "blockbusters of the past five years. DOFP, too. I think they sorta nailed both of these movies. They have a good thing going.

Then again, I wasn't really feeling something like CA: The Winter Solider like everyone else (maybe because of the complete bullshit "it's an intelligent old-school spy thriller!!!!" hype), so I'm sure my opinion isn't exactly reflective. 

Edited by cmasterclay
  • Like 1

Disagree, Incredibles is better than Iron Giant IMO.

You say that two weeks ago, I agree with you but rewatching Iron Giant in theaters made me realize the simplicity in it is pure beauty. More emotionally resonant than any of Bird's other films.

Maybe since the only two movies you mentioned (Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Moneyball) I've actually seen is why I think it's weak.

• Like 1