WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg31): The Martian 37 | HT2 20.3 | Pan 15.5 | Intern 8.66 | Sicario 7.35 | The Walk 3.65 | Steve Jobs 521k

Guaranteed, if Warner's had known they would be making the Potter spin off,they would have been a lot slower to greenlight Pan.

Warner's year, if you look at it, has not been a disaster like Universal had a few years ago. They had one solid hit with San Andreas,and a number of their other,smaller films that made a modest profit. Problem is their high profile,expensive films(San Andreas excepted) either disappointed at the box office

("Fury Road",which will make a small profit,but you don't spend 150 Million to make a small profit) or out and out bombed( "Jupiter" and "Pan").

And the lack of a film from their DC franchise is notable.

I hope studios is will be more cautious about trying to get a franchise out of material that is just not good franchise material.

They also had smaller mid sized films that have lost quite a bit of money like

UNCLE (with an $84m budget is that even mid sized?)

Entourage

Hot Pursuit

Run All Night

Edited by TalismanRing

In what world is a Mad Max movie making $370m a disappointment?

I think they're talking strictly budgets. The movie did much better than expected at the box office but the studio apparently still lost money from it due to the astronomical costs. Call it the "Hugo Effect" (a movie that was widely loved, got a lot of Oscar love and did better than expected that no one remembers that it was one of that year's biggest box office bombs), if you will.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

I'm sure they mean in terms of barely covering the budget. I for one would've never expected the movie to be able to clear 250m though prior to release, so it certainly exceeded all my expectations. It was just a doomed movie in many ways with that budget. Did the best it possibly could and still wasn't really good enough.

Edited by MovieMan89

Not a disappointment, but considering the money that went into it, pretty sure more would have been needed. It will make a profit in the long term, but it is a money loser for the time being for sure. Is there even any merchandising tied in to the movie?

• Like 1

I think they're talking strictly budgets. The movie did much better than expected at the box office but the studio apparently still lost money from it due to the astronomical costs. Call it the "Hugo Effect" (a movie that was widely loved, got a lot of Oscar love and did better than expected that no one remembers that it was one of that year's biggest box office bombs), if you will.

Compare it with STAR TREK '09. Essentially the same WW gross from similar budgets. It's also worth pointing out that $20m or so of that budget was added because the studio was delighted with what they'd seen. Calling it a "disappointment" feels wrong, on every level. Sure, you can say it won't be a huge money-maker... but that's not the same thing.

HUGO, by comparison, cost $170m and only made $185m WW (including only $75m domestic).

Alvin 4 looks awful. What sucks is our theatre will probably get it in Christmas Day. We're only going to have room for 2 of the new releases, and the other will likely be Point Break or Daddy's Home. I'm done with the world.

We have this Alvin 4 banner hanging from the ceiling and its got these 2 red stuffed dice things hanging from it with a gold A on them. When we put it up this "trying to he cool or his friends" 11 year old exclaimed "that thing looks like a ball sack!"

So now we at the theatr are calling the movie Alvin and the Chipmunks 4: The Nut-sack