WrathOfHan

Official Weekend Estimates: Goosebumps - 23.5M; The Martian - 21.5M; Bridge of Spies - 15.4M; Crimson Peak - 12.9M (Page 1)

I don't understand it. You've got Spielberg, you've got Hanks and you've got superb reviews - a 93% RT rating... What more do the people need? What more do they want?

Maybe I watch it for next to nothing on a streaming site in 6 months? 

She was dressed to the nines but slightly rumpled, so my guess is that she was coming back from a late night (it was like 6 am, no idea why I was up at that horrible hour).  No one looks very good under those conditions, especially not someone you'd automatically assume to be beautiful. Her skin looked surprisingly wrinkly with, I assume, no make up.

I used to work for a consulting firm and one time early on I had a project manager who was model-grade attractive (she was smart and competent and all that, but that's not really relevant for this story). It wasn't so much that she was beautiful, though she certainly was quite pretty, it was that she had incredible skin. Someone asked her about it one time, and she said apparently she had super dry skin. The result was that during the day she looked really good, but as soon as she got tired she instantly looked 10 years older. She said it was nice then (she was in her early 30s), but she expected to age *really* fast.

Anyway, Claire Danes kinda made me think of that.

Seeing actresses without make up destroys my fantasies.

But it's a much needed reality check. They're just normal human beings.

I get where the Jimmy Stewart comparison comes from, but Hanks still hasn't come close to doing his own Vertigo, where he could unearth something seriously dark and fucked up from under his aw-shucks surface. I wish someone would give him a role like that. 

Actually, Stewart had showed us his dark side before Vertigo.

Probably the darkest character he ever played was in "The Naked Spur"(1954) often pointed to as a good example of a "Western Noir". Stewart plays a totally unsymphatic Bounty Hunter whose only concern is collecting rewards,and who is as ruthless as the outlaws he hunts. Great Performance. One of a series of great Westerns Stewart made with director Anthony Mann .

Would not be surprised to see some homages to Mann's westerns in "The Hateful Eight".since Tarantino is a huge fan of Anthony Mann.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 2

I don't understand it. You've got Spielberg, you've got Hanks and you've got superb reviews - a 93% RT rating... What more do the people need? What more do they want?

Sometimes you make a really good film, but it still goes to hell at the box office. A bitter reality of the film industry.

Lmao.

Del Toro makes movies he personally wants to watch kind of like the Wachowski's but Del Toro's movies usually break even and the Wachowski's flat out bomb.

Del Toro can make his films with a modest budget ( in fact Pacific Rim was the only really huge budget he has ever had) but the Wachowski's seem unable to make a film for under 150 Million. That is the difference, frankly. And that is why, although some of his projects fall through,Del Toro can keep making movies but the Wachowskis are switching to television. They have just had too many big budget busts in a row for them to be trusted with any more huge budgets.

• Like 1

The final two weeks of the month, yes. Next weekend's crop looks very unappealing.

Yeah, except for Jobs opening wide next weekend looks like a disaster. "The Last Witch Hunter" looks like a "worst film of the year" contender.

I was old when the molecules of your world joined, and called themselves land and sea and fish ... and man...

When the universe was merely a speck of dust, Tele was there.

Edited by FancyArcher
  • Like 2

It's a terrible thing when your children fight. I warned the others, but they didn't listen. They never listen.

Sometimes the test is not to find the answer, it is to see how you react when you realize there is no answer.