WrathOfHan

Monday numbers: The Martian 1.22M | Spies 984k | Steve Jobs and Paranormal 535k

• Like 1

Jem at $71,275 for a per theatre average of $30 on its fourth day! Holy shit. Are distributors really obliged to run this at its full theatre count for 14 days? Surely there's some mutual opt-out for the sake of preserving the dignity of all involved...

Martian holds are fantastic. I don't think an increase is possible for the IMAX week as a whole but drops in the teens or even single digits look like a possibility (assuming Fox and IMAX do a half decent job informing the fanbase).

• Like 2

Jem at $71,275 for a per theatre average of $30 on its fourth day! Holy shit. Are distributors really obliged to run this at its full theatre count for 14 days? Surely there's some mutual opt-out for the sake of preserving the dignity of all involved...

Martian holds are fantastic. I don't think an increase is possible for the IMAX week as a whole but drops in the teens or even single digits look like a possibility (assuming Fox and IMAX do a half decent job informing the fanbase).

They can cut down the screenings to one a day and move it onto the smallest screen.  Many might have already done so.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, movieboner said:

Matt Damon and Ridley Scott power

No, just not enough good movies in the multiplex.

Martian strikes me as the kind of movie that would make $120M, or $150M at best. Since this Fall is full of lousy offerings, 

people have no other choice but to check out The Martian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zackzack said:

Martian strikes me as the kind of movie that would make $120M, or $150M at best. Since this Fall is full of lousy offerings, 

??? I think the reason it's made so much money is that it is a very appealing concept, adapted from a best-selling book, a star in the lead, and the movie being good. Sure it's legs have been helped by the weak competition, but I think 120m was always going to be a low #.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zackzack said:

Competition doesn't matter that much. If the other films it had performed better it might have done modestly less, but not to the tune of $50m.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, zackzack said:

What? Even if the competition was more competitive it still would have made high 100's at least.

8 hours ago, zackzack said:

Black Mass?

Everest?

The Walk?

Sicario?

Bridge of Spies?

Goosebumps? 

Steve Jobs? 

There's plenty of solid movies this fall... they just had a poorly conceived release date/pattern, or had poor marketing.