Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, theStun said:

It is funny that a movie winning an Oscar can trigger so many people lmao

that's not the triggering, the triggering is posters claiming oscar film > non oscar film because of the oscar. Then the triggering goes even further by the fact it was costume design.

It's a good job titanic won everything so I don't have to worry about these sort of nonsense being thrown at me.. also 2.2 billion dollars

46 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

that's not the triggering, the triggering is posters claiming oscar film > non oscar film because of the oscar. Then the triggering goes even further by the fact it was costume design.

It's a good job titanic won everything so I don't have to worry about these sort of nonsense being thrown at me.. also 2.2 billion dollars

Life is so good for James Cam fans.. 

:P:ph34r:^_^

• Like 1

This is the only thing I'm gonna say right now, I hope this is the right thread: 

When it comes to Marvel vs DC, it's just not close. At all. Marvel is whooping DC like 5 times over. Popularity wise. Acclaim wise. Everything. 

I used to be a "yay Marvel, Screw DC!" person, but ever since BvS pretty much proved that it wasn't going to be a competition on any level, I kinda stopped routing against DC because I feel legitimately bad for the property and their fans. 

Yeah, I know Marvel has an unfair advantage because they have worked with 3-4 studios this decade, but if you look at the entire decade box office as a whole, Marvel vs DC, it's $15.201 billion to $3.821 billion. That's at least what I got from adding them up right now. 

And it kinda sucks because it's like 21 films from 4 different studios against 6 films from 1 studio, but it still tells you something when DC has only been able to release 6 films this decade. 

On a critical level, even though DC has put out 6 films, while Marvel put out 21, DC has still had more rotten films than Marvel. 4 rotten for DC. 3 rotten for Marvel.

This is clearly the golden era of superhero films, and DC has been mostly banished off to the sidelines this whole decade. Even after going full speed ahead and putting all their big draws into a single film, they didn't manage to break a billion?

This is the only post I'm going to make, because at this point, it's so incredibly one sided. It's just mutilating a dead horse. 

4 hours ago, theStun said:

It is funny that a movie winning an Oscar can trigger so many people lmao

No one cares that the movie won an oscar. It is the fact that some people have to compare it to Marvel. If someone could leave Marvel out of it then no one would respond. This isnt the type of oscar that people get jealous about or care about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

It means it won an Oscar. Which means something.

Pray tell...what does it mean?   It doesn't make one movie better than another....that much we know.    Should we also bring up which studio has better sandwiches during lunch breaks?    That would be another "fact".

6 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

Uh huh. You're point? The meme is funny because it's ben affleck. sad.

90+% of people who saw the meme have no idea it's from a youtube video showing RT scores etc etc. Most think it's from an interview with him/cavill and him looking sad.

You left out part of it.   "The meme is funny because it's Ben Affleck sad because the RT score was horrible".    That was the joke.

9 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

Pray tell...what does it mean?   It doesn't make one movie better than another....that much we know.    Should we also bring up which studio has better sandwiches during lunch breaks?    That would be another "fact".

You left out part of it.   "The meme is funny because it's Ben Affleck sad because the RT score was horrible".    That was the joke.

It means it won an Oscar.

No, Affleck is not sad about the RT score. He's sad about the interviewing saying it hasn't had good reviews. The RT score was only added to the video after the fact. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

"Franchise Wars: Marvel Vs DC Vs Star Wars vs etc."

ETC. ??  What do you mean ETC.?? How can you disrespect IronJimbo like that.

To be completely fair, Avatar isn't a franchise yet. It needs to have at least one sequel in order to be considered a franchise, a condition that it may or may not meet sometime in the next century. 

• Like 2

Suicide Squad's Oscar means nothing, and anyone comparing it to Marvel should stop. Suicide Squad's award was for Best Makeup and Hairstyling, which means it excelled in that particular area. And good for it. But it's in places like the screenplay and the acting and pretty much everywhere else that the film collapses. An MCU film may have never won an Oscar, but its combined individual characteristics make them objectively better than movies like Suicide Squad.

That's why Passengers isn't a better movie than Silence because it was nominated for two Oscars compared to one. That's why Moonlight won Best Picture even though La La Land got 14 nominations - individual parts of a film may work and work brilliantly, but by comparing films you have to look at the entire spectrum. If you were to say, "Suicide Squad has better makeup than The Force Awakens because it won an Oscar", you might be justified in saying so. But if you were to say "Suicide Squad is a better film than The Force Awakens because it won an Oscar", you can't make that claim on that basis. Same goes for DC vs Marvel.

I'd argue there's one Oscar that you can make that justification with, which is Best Picture, which no comic book film has ever been nominated for. So let's stop using this as an excuse to put down Marvel. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Talkie said:

To be completely fair, Avatar isn't a franchise yet. It needs to have at least one sequel in order to be considered a franchise, a condition that it may or may not meet sometime in the next century. 

I think it would be fair to call it a franchise:

media franchise is a collection of related media in which several derivative works have been produced from an original creative work (usually that of fiction), such as a film, a work of literature, a television program or a video game. A media franchise is characterized by its components generally sharing a common fictional universe.

They made many product in many medium with the Avatar world:

A big cirque du soleil live show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toruk_-_The_First_Flight

A Big video game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cameron's_Avatar:_The_Game

An attraction park opening in may: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_–_The_World_of_Avatar

Books too:

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Confidential-Biological-History-Camerons/dp/0061896756

They franchised Avatar pretty much as much as movies can be, short of the sequels that are in the way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I think it would be fair to call it a franchise:

media franchise is a collection of related media in which several derivative works have been produced from an original creative work (usually that of fiction), such as a film, a work of literature, a television program or a video game. A media franchise is characterized by its components generally sharing a common fictional universe.

They made many product in many medium with the Avatar world:

A big cirque du soleil live show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toruk_-_The_First_Flight

A Big video game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cameron's_Avatar:_The_Game

An attraction park opening in may: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_–_The_World_of_Avatar

Books too:

https://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Confidential-Biological-History-Camerons/dp/0061896756

They franchised Avatar pretty much as much as movies can be, short of the sequels that are in the way.

Barnack is correct.

Video Game + Movie = Franchise.

We're going to need a title change, we can be ahead of the curve. We were talking about the highest grossing film franchise of all time when it only had one film released.

2 hours ago, vc2002 said:

"Franchise Wars: Marvel Vs DC Vs Star Wars vs etc."

ETC. ??  What do you mean ETC.?? How can you disrespect IronJimbo like that.

I take it as a personal attack. Would hurt but my heart is iron.

17 hours ago, Eevin said:

Suicide Squad's Oscar means nothing, and anyone comparing it to Marvel should stop. Suicide Squad's award was for Best Makeup and Hairstyling, which means it excelled in that particular area. And good for it. But it's in places like the screenplay and the acting and pretty much everywhere else that the film collapses. An MCU film may have never won an Oscar, but its combined individual characteristics make them objectively better than movies like Suicide Squad.

That's why Passengers isn't a better movie than Silence because it was nominated for two Oscars compared to one. That's why Moonlight won Best Picture even though La La Land got 14 nominations - individual parts of a film may work and work brilliantly, but by comparing films you have to look at the entire spectrum. If you were to say, "Suicide Squad has better makeup than The Force Awakens because it won an Oscar", you might be justified in saying so. But if you were to say "Suicide Squad is a better film than The Force Awakens because it won an Oscar", you can't make that claim on that basis. Same goes for DC vs Marvel.

I'd argue there's one Oscar that you can make that justification with, which is Best Picture, which no comic book film has ever been nominated for. So let's stop using this as an excuse to put down Marvel. 

DC has an Oscar. Marvel doesn't.

Fact.

• Like 2

Fact: No DCEU movie has every gotten a multiple higher than 2.3x or an RT score and Metacritic score above 55%. 

Spoiler

However that will either change with Wonder Woman or Aquaman

17 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Do either of you have a point?

Yes, I believe I outlined it very clearly in that post you chose to completely ignore. 

18 hours ago, Eevin said:

1 hour ago, ChipMunky said:

Do either of you have a point?

Aquaman will make the most out of any DCEU movie domestic. I've already excepted the fact that the DCEU won an Oscar which is a major achievement.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1