Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

Fox boss James Murdoch could be next Disney CEO in possible merger – report

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/05/disney-james-murdoch-21st-century-fox-ceo?CMP=share_btn_tw

this-deal-is-getting-worse-all-the-time.

He would be a good candidate because he isn't a hold-over from the Eisner regime and would bring some outside ideas, which Disney needs. That being said, I don't think he is a front-runner. However, I am liking this deal more and more. Disney needs some new outside executives.

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

He would be a good candidate because he isn't a hold-over from the Eisner regime and would bring some outside ideas, which Disney needs. That being said, I don't think he is a front-runner. However, I am liking this deal more and more. Disney needs some new outside executives.

Uhh...he would be a terrible candidate. Either that or he’d be a puppet for his father. His career history as an executive doesn’t give me much hope for his possible tenure as the Disney CEO (or CEO of any company). That said, I don’t see this happening. But it does seem like Disney is more interested in finding an outside candidate than promoting one in-house. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Uhh...he would be a terrible candidate. Either that or he’d be a puppet for his father. His career history as an executive doesn’t give me much hope for his possible tenure as the Disney CEO (or CEO of any company). That said, I don’t see this happening. But it does seem like Disney is more interested in finding an outside candidate than promoting one in-house. 

Their leading in house candidates were Staggs and Rasulo, both of whom were horrible choices. Murdoch has experience equal to Staggs and Rasulo, but he doesn't have the stench that comes with being from the Eisner regime. Disney has been sorely needing new ideas. That's why the strategy of buying whole companies has been so great because they can bring in people like Lassetter (I know that is taboo to say, but he was important to the company), Feige, Kennedy, and Murdoch would be good as well. Murdoch is different from the previous 3 because his experience is with managing a corporation, as opposed to just a movie studio.

I doubt he is the next CEO, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good choice.

Edited by Walt Disney

22 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

This is going suck if Disney buys Fox. I guess Universal and WB should but Columbia and Paramount.  Disney could buy Loinsgate. 

Comcast already bought Universal. That was the first move in the new round of Hollywood take-overs. AT&T is trying to buy WB. Disney itself was rumored to be taken over by Apple or Verizon. Disney buying Fox is to actually prevent another company from taking them over.

I would expect any combination of Netflix, Amazon, Apple and Verizon to make a play for any combination of Sony Pictures, Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM.

Edited by Walt Disney

36 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

Paramount and Sony will be the next to be swallowed up.

To be honest, I always thought Disney would end up buying Sony Pictures because they seemed to be the weakest studio among the big 6, and it would get Disney the Spider-Man film rights completely. And I read rumors 2 years ago that Sony would be selling Columbia Pictures, but nothing ever came of it.

I read an article a few days ago, which was written on or about November 11, where the author said that the talks would end up resuming. He also said that before the news of the Fox talks came out, he had expected Disney to buy Sony or Paramount because they were the studios that were doing the worst right now. He was surprised that Disney aimed so high with Fox. It is an interesting situation because only a few years ago, Fox tried to buy WB, and now Fox is close to being bought themselves.

I do agree with you that Sony will be next. Sony Pictures is so different from the rest of Sony Corporation's businesses. Matsushita sold Universal Studios over a decade ago. Paramount I am 50/50 on because I don't know if Sumner Redstone wants to get out of the movie business or not.

Edited by Walt Disney

2 hours ago, Warmaster506 said:

Paramount and Sony will be the next to be swallowed up.

Lionsgate and MGM as well. However I can see Sony trying to buy MGM to stay afloat.

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

Their leading in house candidates were Staggs and Rasulo, both of whom were horrible choices. Murdoch has experience equal to Staggs and Rasulo, but he doesn't have the stench that comes with being from the Eisner regime. Disney has been sorely needing new ideas. That's why the strategy of buying whole companies has been so great because they can bring in people like Lassetter (I know that is taboo to say, but he was important to the company), Feige, Kennedy, and Murdoch would be good as well. Murdoch is different from the previous 3 because his experience is with managing a corporation, as opposed to just a movie studio.

I doubt he is the next CEO, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good choice.

If we're talking stench there's hardly a bigger one than being attached to the name Murdoch.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lionsgate and MGM as well. However I can see Sony trying to buy MGM to stay afloat.

MGM's pre-1985 back catalogue is owned by WB, so MGM's value is basically its 1985-present movie catalogue, the United Artists back catalogue, the Orion Pictures back catalogue, and the James Bond franchise. There is definitely some value there, but I am not sure Sony would want to buy it.

I think MGM is a better fit for Lionsgate.

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If we're talking stench there's hardly a bigger one than being attached to the name Murdoch.

But a lot of that has to do with peoples' political leanings. Staggs and Rasulo had a stench from their vision (or lack thereof) for the company as a whole and from being part of the old Eisner regime. Disney clearly needs to move in a different direction to compete. Murdoch doesn't have those short-comings and would bring a new perspective to the company. He could have other short-comings, but I haven't heard of any, except that his last name is Murdoch, which again goes back to political leanings.

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

But a lot of that has to do with peoples' political leanings. Staggs and Rasulo had a stench from their vision (or lack thereof) for the company as a whole and from being part of the old Eisner regime. Disney clearly needs to move in a different direction to compete. Murdoch doesn't have those short-comings and would bring a new perspective to the company. He could have other short-comings, but I haven't heard of any, except that his last name is Murdoch, which again goes back to political leanings.

A Murdoch perspective?  Who wants that except Fox News devotees?   But let's ignore all the vile things associated with Murdoch's heinous rise to a media empire and the vile people he's helped put in power...

James Murdoch had to step down from Sky because of the phone hacking scandal.