Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

Turns out F4 rights might not have been at Fox this whole time...

I didn't think Constantin Films still owned them.  It looks like they still have production rights while Fox has distribution rights but Constantine hasn't actually produced anything since the Corman debacle and wouldn't the distribution rights revert to Disney?  So what could Constantine do with them if the can't distribute?

http://www.slashfilm.com/fantastic-four-rights-disney-20th-century-fox/

I think the popular Marvel women are mostly in x-men. Storm, Rouge and Jean Gray.

MCU turned GOTG, a bunch of Z listers into A listers, so popularity of source material is not really good excuse. They simply weren't interested in women leads.

1 minute ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Ike and the Creative Committee blocked any female led movie because they felt they wouldn't sell toys. Same with changing the villain in Iron Man 3 and why it took so long for Black Panther to happen.

Yeah, looked like Feige had to agree to an Inhumans movie in exchange for Black Panther and Captain Marvel. That Inhumans was dropped from the film lineup after Marvel Studios was removed from Perlmutter's control wasn't a coincidence.

1 hour ago, Sand-omJC said:

:ph34r: well that isn't true either.

Was is not mostly true under Ike reign ?

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Michael,

As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples.  There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1.  Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2.  Catwoman (WB/DC) - Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3.   Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.

Best, 
Ike

I mean the first one will be made after 20 entries (will still be less than 5% of the output, how much less would it take to say they were not interested... ? Would it have taken 25 movies in a row without one female lead to start to say they were not interested, 30 ? if 20 is not enough).

Shane Black went on record to say the Marvel Toy department made him change the gender of a female character (not even the hero) in is script to male fearing an impact on the toy sales and he is one of the most powerful writer in the business making the movie of is personal friend RDJ, imagine what it was like for a more nobodies that would have pitch a female lead.....

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Captain Marvel is basically an apology film from Marvel Studios for not having a single female lead movie after 20 movies over 11 years with males leads.

They get zero praise from me.

CM was also only announced after a Woman Woman movie was announced.

Then Wonder Woman shouldn't get praise period since its 2017 and this is her first movie also it pretty much took Marvel Studios to show DC that you can actually care about other characters that aren't Batman & Superman

• Like 1

The fact people talk as if Catwoman/Electra/Supergirl was never made does give credit to this statement quite a bit

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Why would you praise anyone for filling quotas? Praise them for doing a good job.

Then Wonder Woman shouldn't get praise period since its 2017 and this is her first movie also it pretty much took Marvel Studios to show DC that you can actually care about other characters that aren't Batman & Superman

WB and DC have always been supportive of Wonder Woman. WW comics have been near constant publication since her creation in 40s, the Lynda Carter WW show is very iconic, WW has appeared in many DC cartoons and direct to video animated movies. There have been several attempts to make new shows and movies about WW like that one on the NBC and the Amazon show on CW, things just didn't work out.

38 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Was is not mostly true under Ike reign ?

https://wikileaks.org/sony/emails/emailid/121981

Michael,

As we discussed on the phone, below are just a few examples.  There are more.

Thanks,

Ike

1.  Electra (Marvel) – Very bad idea and the end result was very, very bad. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=elektra.htm

2.  Catwoman (WB/DC) - Catwoman was one of the most important female character within the Batmanfranchise. This film was a disaster.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=catwoman.htm

3.   Supergirl – (DC) Supergirl was one of the most important female super hero in Superman franchise. This Movie came out in 1984 and did $14 million total domestic with opening weekend of $5.5 million. Again, another disaster.

Best, 
Ike

I mean the first one will be made after 20 entries (will still be less than 5% of the output, how much less would it take to say they were not interested... ? I mean would it have taken 25 movies in a row without one female lead to start to say they were not interested, 30 ? if 20 is not enough).

Shane Black went on record to say the Marvel Toy department made him change the gender of a female character (not even the hero) in is script to male fearing an impact on the toy sales and he is one of the most powerful writer in the business making the movie of is personal friend RDJ, imagine what it was like for a more nobodies that would have pitch a female lead.....

My point was more that it wasn't a they, it was a he.

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

WB and DC have always been supportive of Wonder Woman. WW comics have been near constant publication since her creation in 40s, the Lynda Carter WW show is very iconic, WW has appeared in many DC cartoons and direct to video animated movies. There have been several attempts to make new shows and movies about WW like that one on the NBC and the Amazon show on CW, things just didn't work out.

When you're making a Catwoman movie, a Steel movie, and a Jonah Hex movie, all before you make a Wonder Woman movie, I find it hard to believe they have always been supportive of Wonder Woman.

• Like 2

When you're making a Catwoman movie, a Steel movie, and a Jonah Hex movie, all before you make a Wonder Woman movie, I find it hard to believe they have always been supportive of Wonder Woman.

I imagine WB wanted to get WW right for her first movie. The moment they put out a shitty WW movie, the character is turned into a laughingstock like Green Lateran did after this movie came out. The GL brand is really tainted right now because of the film, that failure even led to the cancellation of his popular animated show.

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

I imagine WB wanted to get WW right for her first movie. The moment they put out a shitty WW movie, the character is turned into a laughingstock like Green Lateran did after this movie came out. The GL brand is really tainted right now because of the film, that failure even led to the cancellation of his popular animated show.

I don't buy this argument. Catwoman and Steel were way before Green Lantern tainted that brand. And they had no idea Green Lantern was going to bomb. They thought it would be a great success. I don't think they took more time with Wonder Woman than they did with their previous superhero movies. Green Lantern is much more ambitious and difficult to pull off than Wonder Woman is.

• Like 1

I don't buy this argument. Catwoman and Steel were way before Green Lantern tainted that brand. And they had no idea Green Lantern was going to bomb. They thought it would be a great success. I don't think they took more time with Wonder Woman than they did with their previous superhero movies. Green Lantern is much more ambitious and difficult to pull off than Wonder Woman is.

I think it was more that WB wanted Green Lateran to be their "Iron Man" in terms of launching a cinematic universe. When GL flopped WB pretty much tried to make everyone forget about it, and later on went with MoS instead as the DCEU starter.

I'm not saying there were zero fears of that WW would flop with the past failures of Catwoman and Supergirl, but a movie with WW was always in the cards.

Development for a live action Wonder Woman feature film began in 1996,, that's like 20 years ago and all that. WB even announced in 2005 a WW movie to be directed by Joss Whedon that never materialized, thank god for that since his WW script was shit.

It wasn't just like "FUCK YEAH! WE ARE DOING A WONDER WOMAN MOVIE!" while they were coming up with the idea for BvS.

Edited by Mojoguy

Look back at Wonder Woman's long and winding journey to the big screen

http://mashable.com/2017/05/29/wonder-woman-movie-history/

Next week, Wonder Woman hits theaters with her-ever first live-action solo adventure. And it only took her 76 years to get there.

Although she's only a few years younger than her Justice League teammates Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman has had far worse luck making the leap to movies. But it's not for lack of trying.

To the contrary, Wonder Woman is the payoff to decades of on-again, off-again efforts to bring the Amazonian princess to the big screen. With the film just days away from release, let's take a look back at the long and winding journey it took to get here...