Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

15 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Apologies for interrupting but I believe this thread is for franchise discussion, perhaps you could make a Disney safe space thread? It should be very exciting full of interesting people with lots to say.

At least Disney has two franchises in the title of this thread unlike some other movie you won't shut up about.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Glad to see you're finally coming round to the idea that having/making more money is equal to better. 

Surely by that logic that makes the MCU, as a franchise, over $11 billion better than the Avatar 'franchise'.

3 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Surely by that logic that makes the MCU, as a franchise, over $11 billion better than the Avatar 'franchise'.

It means Avatar is better than any single release by Disney.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

It means Avatar is better than any single release by Disney.

But if you're sticking by the more money/more quality logic, then you also have to admit that the MCU, Star Wars, DCEU, etc are all better franchises than Avatar.. And this is the franchise thread, after all.

Hell, by this same logic, the Twilight Saga is a better franchise than Avatar. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Of course, it's all a matter of what your frame of reference is (in in your example you're patently correct). Disney for me is doing great things in the commodification of entertainment from the perspective of making money. That I truly respect. It terrifies me from an intellectual and cultural perspective, but that hardly matters. 

It also seems that far too often my position is far too often confused with a strawman we might call "TheAvatarMovieScholar". 

What I seek to argue is from a frame of reference where the essential components of a franchise are themselves as studied and quantified as individual films within the broader framework of said franchises. 

I should also note that I think Bob Iger is a genius, not quite on par with Jim, but certainly up there. 

3 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I said I want you to stop, but then again, I did not expect you to have any serious reading comprehension.

That's the thing about jokes, they're usually based on syntax and toying with it. Is it really that grim in SW2 that you've all lost your sense of humour?  

I still don't understand the (online) hate for Avatar though.  Granted the story is not original, except original stories are very rare.  Most movies are a variation on a previously seen theme. 

Avatar may not be original, but the story is told perfectly.   The pacing is perfect.  Every characters motivations are defined, complex and don't feel forced (from the Ex Army leader with clear rules of engagement, to the CEO trying to please the shareholders, to the native girl torn apart from her love of her people and Jake, to the assistant losing his avatar role to Jake but accepting this and moving on...). 

The visuals are stunning even nearly 10 years later.  The only thing I hate about Avatar is the delayed sequels.  Get to work James, you lazy filmmaker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, langer said:

I still don't understand the (online) hate for Avatar though.  Granted the story is not original, except original stories are very rare.  Most movies are a variation on a previously seen theme. 

Avatar may not be original, but the story is told perfectly.   The pacing is perfect.  Every characters motivations are defined, complex and don't feel forced (from the Ex Army leader with clear rules of engagement, to the CEO trying to please the shareholders, to the native girl torn apart from her love of her people and Jake, to the assistant losing his avatar role to Jake but accepting this and moving on...). 

The visuals are stunning even nearly 10 years later.  The only thing I hate about Avatar is the delayed sequels.  Get to work James, you lazy filmmaker. 

I think the hate comes with the territory of being so successful, also the Avatar hate in this thread is exacerbated for obvious reasons.

Agree with all your points about this film, for me the visuals are still better than pretty much all heavy CGI films today.

Edited by IronJimbo

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I think the hate comes with the territory of being so successful, also the Avatar hate in this thread is exacerbated for obvious reasons.

Agree with all your points about this film, for me the visuals are still better than pretty much all heavy CGI films today.

I think the last 2 POTA movies surpassed the CGI in Avatar by a fair margin, but agreed they do hold up well considering their age. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, langer said:

Outside the generic what is really popular and loved will often find resistance (the first Star Wars got a lot of hate for similar reason), some that was generated in particular for Avatar:

3D I think, being such a massive success made it almost certain that a vague of 3D movie will be made, maybe even this time a permanent shift toward that format, for people disliking (or physically uncomfortable with it) some of that hate toward the format got transferred toward the movie that raised is popularity.

Some rooted for the humans I would guess and did find both the never showing earth suffering of climate change / spirit-religion being real as an easy way out and made the movie a bit of a irritating watch. Attached to the root for the humans, the theme of the movie are quite strong and quite the attack in some ways on politics many support (and/or are beneficiary off), can make it an hard watch.

For this one, I would think how close as a reference to trope/movies they knew, Star Wars was heavily influenced by more obscure material to audience than Dance With the Wolves narrative and there is a group of people up there that like to think they watch movies for the story and that all that matter (even when they watch 200m movies.... they like to think it is all about the story), even if some of them are Big Lebowski fans and would have an hard time telling you what is the story in that movie.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1