Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

40 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Well Potter has a constellation named after him and a wasp. Lol

We need to name a new Wasp species after Evangeline Lilly 

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I keep thinking we should restrict discussion in this thread to actual franchises that have at least seen a minimum 2 films with a theatrical release. 

:thinking:

Anything to help the comic book boys forget they're not #1 eh? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

The Force Awakens is the highest grossing film of all time!

If they do implement the rule I want to see very explicit definitions of 'actual franchises' as that term seems extraordinarily vague. (Although I don't actually expect to see any rigor from the blue staff on here (except for @baumer of course). 

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

If they do implement the rule I want to see very explicit definitions of 'actual franchises' as that term seems extraordinarily vague. (Although I don't actually expect to see any rigor from the blue staff on here (except for @baumer of course). 

Sorry, what rule are you talking about?

He's referring to a hypothetical new rule as proposed a few posts up. 

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

I keep thinking we should restrict discussion in this thread to actual franchises that have at least seen a minimum 2 films with a theatrical release. 

:thinking:

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Sorry, what rule are you talking about?

@DeeCee said "I keep thinking we should restrict discussion in this thread to actual franchises that have at least seen a minimum 2 films with a theatrical release."

As to obviously censor discussion about Avatar (and its upcoming sequels). 

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@DeeCee said "I keep thinking we should restrict discussion in this thread to actual franchises that have at least seen a minimum 2 films with a theatrical release."

As to obviously censor discussion about Avatar (and its upcoming sequels). 

Oh, well @DeeCee does have a point.  Avatar really isn't a franchise at this point.  

I'm not in this thread but maybe the issue is you guys are derailing it with talk of Avatar all the time.  I'm just speculating here.

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Avatar really isn't a franchise at this point.  

I'm not even sure what a franchise is though baumer, and the title of the thread is 'Fanboy wars' not 'Franchise wars'. 

Would you be able to enlighten me on exactly what a franchise is, who decides it, and by what criteria is that decided upon? 

Is my 'James Cameron Cinematic Multiverse' a franchise?  

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm not in this thread but maybe the issue is you guys are derailing it with talk of Avatar all the time.  I'm just speculating here.

This.

It's not that anyone can't objectively look at Avatars numbers and say, yes, it's the #1 grossing film.

It's that there isn't agreement to it's quality and what factor(s) got it there. 

Post-2020 we'll all know and Avatar will be a theatrical franchise. They have their playground thread. I hardly come in this thread anymore cause it's exhausting.

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

Oh, well @DeeCee does have a point.  Avatar really isn't a franchise at this point.  

It's not derailing if Avatar is a topic! That's why they renamed it to fanboy wars.

1 minute ago, Captain Craig said:

This.

It's not that anyone can't objectively look at Avatars numbers and say, yes, it's the #1 grossing film.

It's that there isn't agreement to it's quality and what factor(s) got it there. 

Post-2020 we'll all know and Avatar will be a theatrical franchise. They have their playground thread. I hardly come in this thread anymore cause it's exhausting.

We have the same right in this thread as comic book films, which I find terribly exhausting (extremely exhausting).

6 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

Reading exhausts you? That's rough. 

I'm actually having a lot of fun trying to figure out exactly what a franchise is, take James Bond for example, the thing that maintains continuity across the 'franchise' is merely the leading character's name. 

Yet at the same time we also have the 'dollars trilogy' where there is continuity of cast and crew etc. 

Now by my judgement we all agree James Bond is a franchise right? So what about the second case is 'Dollars' a franchise? What about Westerns?

I'm thinking about creating a "John" universe wherein all the protagonists main characters are called John (Godzilla also falls into this category per its franchise rule). 

Maybe the only thing I love more than the Box Office is making sure clarity and consistency are maintained in discussion!  

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Reading exhausts you? That's rough. 

I'm actually having a lot of fun trying to figure out exactly what a franchise is, take James Bond for example, the thing that maintains continuity across the 'franchise' is merely the leading characters name. 

Yet at the same time we also have the 'dollars trilogy' where there is continuity of cast and crew etc. 

Now by my judgement we all agree James Bond is a franchise right? So what about the second case is 'Dollars' a franchise? What about Westerns?

I'm thinking about creating a "John" universe wherein all the protagonists main characters are called John (Godzilla also falls into this category per its franchise rule). 

Maybe the only thing I love more than the Box Office is making sure clarity and consistency are maintained in discussion!  

:rolleyes: That's all this deserves

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

We have the same right in this thread as comic book films, which I find terribly exhausting (extremely exhausting).

See my other post about more discussion of actual franchises. I know you two have made it Avatar vs CBM vs SW in your head and every other poster must be in one of those camps. The reality is a majority of us enjoy so many more films that this "battle" is exhausting. 

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No one knows what this means (and neither do you apparently). 

I know exactly what it means. Your condescending tone is annoying and doesn't help further discussion. Yet you wonder where the exhaustion come from. 

Just now, Captain Craig said:

I know exactly what it means.

Then please, do tell!

(Don't worry I know you won't) - it's the old children's game of "I have a magical bean in my hand, but you can't see it!" 

• Like 1

Here's a fun game: 

Searches "Film Franchise" -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_series -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_universe -> "Another, more recent, famous fictional universe is that of the Avatar film series, as James Cameron has invented an entire ecosystem, with a team of scientists to test whether it was viable. Additionally, he commissioned a linguistics expert to invent the Na'vi language."

Just three clicks required! 

• Thanks 1