Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Star Wars is declining because they are just recycling old ideas and giving nothing new, whereas Marvel is constantly introducing audiences to new characters (yes I know they had their comics, but most people didn't know what a Black Panther or Doctor Strange were before the movies).

Say what you want about the prequels but they had tons of exciting new stuff in them. They still feel like no other blockbusters. They're almost like old Greek dramas. And they made the old look new, like this scene:

(more memorable and bad ass than anything in the new films, no tea no shade)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hunch said:

Star Wars is declining because they are just recycling old ideas and giving nothing new, whereas Marvel is constantly introducing audiences to new characters (yes I know they had their comics, but most people didn't know what a Black Panther or Doctor Strange were before the movies).

Say what you want about the prequels but they had tons of exciting new stuff in them. They still feel like no other blockbusters. They're almost like old Greek dramas. And they made the old look new, like this scene:

Weird thing to say considering SOLO is the first SW movie with a plot not focused on Jedis or the Force or stakes that impact the galaxy’s safegy or the friggin Skywalkers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hunch said:

This is borderline a blasphemy.

9 hours ago, Hunch said:

Duel Of The Fates makes taking a dump on screen awesome. John Williams, the Michael Jordan of movie soundtracks.

• Haha 1

It s  a Captain Obvious statement but the nostalgia/adoration people feel for the Lucas/Spielberg golden age has 66% to do with John Williams music.

No other composer had the impact he had on the film industry and music in general, Zimmer maybe : his music has the X factor, that magical element composers usually capture once or twice in their life if they are lucky, Williams at one point was writing Mozart s Requiems and Beethoven's 9ths with each film in terms of sheer beauty and memorability.

He s one of the most important artist of the 20th century.

All the Star Wars/Jurassic World trailers woud be wet farts without Williams music.

Edited by The Futurist

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

It s  a Captain Obvious statement but the nostalgia/adoration people feel for the Lucas/Spielberg golden age has 66% to do with John Williams music.

No other composer had the impact he had on the film industry and music in general, Zimmer maybe : his music has the X factor, that magical element composers usually capture once or twice in their life if they are lucky, Williams at one point was writing Mozart s Requiems and Beethoven's 9ths with each film in terms of sheer beauty and memorability.

All the Star Wars/Jurassic World trailers woud be wet farts without Williams music.

What about Horner! :whosad:

2 hours ago, The Futurist said:

What is remarkable is how he is able to crank all those memorable main themes in major mode that don't sound corny and cheesy. It's fucking hard as it's much easier to compose in minor mode because it sounds naturally dark and sad. Major mode sounds happy and naff, borderline sugary when overdone but Williams crafted all those themes that sound majestic and uplifting.

Jaws is in minor mode (suiting the horror and the dread of the movie's text) but Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, ET, Jurassic Park, their main themes are all in major modes, when you hum them you have a sense of genuine wonder and warmness combined with the fanfaresque epic horns. It is linked to fond cinematic memories, they're like odes encapsulating cinematic joy, escapism and enchantment.

I think his Home Alone main theme is up there but a bit overlooked, it's a heavy nod to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I am not even excited about Star Wars and none of my friends are (I am 19) but I do look forward to more Avatar movies and of course MCU :) 

Maybe Star Wars is for the older generation to remember the good times now? That is okay to me, but I do not understand why people think that it is a "special" franchise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

I am not even excited about Star Wars and none of my friends are (I am 19) but I do look forward to more Avatar movies and of course MCU :) 

Maybe Star Wars is for the older generation to remember the good times now? That is okay to me, but I do not understand why people think that it is a "special" franchise. 

It’s a terrrible franchise that needs to be put down already. The original highly praised triology is the most boring thing that I have ever seen.  I had to slap myself to stay awake. I think to enjoy it you would have had to watch it as a kid. That way your naive young mind would have probably enjoyed seeing grown men fight with silly laser swords and thought how awesome and cool it looked.  However watching without nostalgia as an adult is truly painful. So glad that the franchise is finally over (again).    

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

Back in the day the OT was revolutionary, it changed cinema forever. It's painful for those that grew up on it having to watch Disney now drag it through the mud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GraceRandolph said:

It’s a terrrible franchise that needs to be put down already. The original highly praised triology is the most boring thing that I have ever seen.  I had to slap myself to stay awake. I think to enjoy it you would have had to watch it as a kid. That way your naive young mind would have probably enjoyed seeing grown men fight with silly laser swords and thought how awesome and cool it looked.  However watching without nostalgia as an adult is truly painful. So glad that the franchise is finally over (again).    

5f89447a7e039bf22e1be1532b7f7107.jpg

tell em' how it is Grace

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Back in the day the OT was revolutionary, it changed cinema forever. It's painful for those that grew up on it having to watch Disney now drag it through the mud.

I remember fans saying that Disney + SW was a bad combo. Didn't take long to go south. truth is, SW is a brand built around the creator's cult and as such it had a vision behind it. Now both the vision and cult guru are gone and in their place we have highly unpopular CEO and a vision-less production. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2