Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

There is a lot of speculation going on here.

Johnson watched and used a lot of Kurosawa for Last Jedi:

https://www.fandor.com/posts/i-the-last-jedi-i-and-the-infinite-appeal-of-akira-kurasawa

The sequence with the bombing were a big homage to the WW2 movies and actual events, I think that were the casting simply came from to make it sure audience have the pacific war / kamikaze in mind during some shot (and that will come back again toward the end of the movie in an other scenario).

I am not sure he was thinking about Asian market appeal by casting an unknown American in the role, when they go for the Asian market they do like Magnificent 7 remake, Dark Knight, Rogue One, Days of Future Past, Mulan and cast Asians stars. Asians is the richest demography in North America over whites and a relatively big one, when they cast black actor in a movie people do not assume they are catering to the world black population.

Studio ask their local distributor office about casting and feedback and get explaining what local market like/dislike by people from there and working in movie distribution there all the time, you are talking about a Disney studio that just spent fortune casting real big Asian stars in some movies and assume they think casting random American actor with Asian descent would work as well ?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is a lot of speculation going on here.

Johnson watched and used a lot of Kurosawa for Last Jedi:

https://www.fandor.com/posts/i-the-last-jedi-i-and-the-infinite-appeal-of-akira-kurasawa

The sequence with the bombing were a big homage to the WW2 movies and actual events, I think that were the casting simply came from to make it sure audience have the pacific war / kamikaze in mind during some shot (and that will come back again toward the end of the movie in an other scenario).

Let's let the man himself speak:

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I'm not sure she has any sway with casting decisions. Also doesn't mean she knows anything about Asia....

All I was trying to say was you could've made your same point by substituting "American" for "white". Or even dropped the adjective modifier altogether. LucasFilm certainly has the money to hire some people who know Asian cultures whether it's run by white people or not. I bet you Marvel has consultants making sure they at least don't offend asian audiences even if they don't explicitly try to appeal to them.

11 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

Let's let the man himself speak:

I mean.. when you write a "nerdy" character who seems like she doesnt' belong in SW, then cast an Asian girl and put her in an anime hairdo... it's just. Why on earth would you assume Asian audiences would be happy about that.

15 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Honestly it's like some fans are waiting to be offended and then complain about. Well yeah if you think everything is an attack on you then of course you're going to get offended easily. 

This.

3 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

Kathleen made some stupid decisions, she should man up  and face the music.  :redcapes:

Yes, Kennedy made some stupid decisions, but that does not justify the asshole behavior we have seen from the SW fans.

And I am getting real suspicious of your anger about the SW universe becoming a bit more inclusive. I  am beginning to smell a "Angry White Male" at work...a breed I do not like very much, because it pretty much just digusied racism.

4 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Marvel has Kevin. Kevin doesn't really care about bullshit political correctness. He cares about the product.

Yeah, is just a coindence that from Iron Man on, Marvel has been careful to be ver inclusive in it's casting.

I agree a lot of PC is stupid, but all too often "fighting PC" is really "pushing racism".

49 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

It’s already dead, we’re just doing the autopsy. I thought it would be straightforward because SW has bullet wounds to the back of the head, but people still have other theories they say demand investigation.

BZ1AylGB0Zfg3iLIpRfx_6BLsBDiZnLPqTT7hdfV

One failed film does not equal a dead franchise.

And, even if SW as a franchise is in trouble, there is no freaking guarantee that "Avatar" will take it's place...particualtry given that "Avatar" is not nearly as well remembered as the SW films.,as much as the Cameron fanboys like to deny that.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

With Incredibles 2 (another Disney movie) potentially curbstomping Jurassic World (Universal's biggest franchise), I think Comcast/Universal is going to do whatever it takes to stop Disney from getting FOX.

In any bidding war, Disney is going to have deeper pockets.

Anyway, what Comcast really wants is SKY tv and the other Fox TV assets;Comcast has never been that interested in acquiring FOx Studios.

And Iger HATES Comcast. Comcast tried a hostile takeover of Disney back in 2004 after Eisner left, and Iger has never forgotten that.

The Film studio aspects of these mergers is just one of many factors involved...and a long way from being the most important.

The other issue is that Comcast Fox deal might well trigger antitrust problems..with fears that Comcast is getting too big a share of the statellite TC market. The Disney deal does not have that problems. In fact, Disney will use that argument as part of their strategy.

How well the Increidles 2 does against JW:FK is not even a factor in this.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Yeah, is just a coindence that from Iron Man on, Marvel has been careful to be ver inclusive in it's casting.

I agree a lot of PC is stupid, but all too often "fighting PC" is really "pushing racism".

When the purple haired social studies teacher showed up wearing her prom dress and made decisions that got everyone killed, do you think that was a win for women? When Finn was made to be the butt of a joke and Poe was dressed down by a white woman, was that a win for people of color? People aren't very good at articulating their reasons for disliking a movie, and when they say PC they usually mean tokenism. I guarantee you Star Wars fans would've been happy with a badass woman of color who was more like this:

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

With Incredibles 2 (another Disney movie) potentially curbstomping Jurassic World (Universal's biggest franchise), I think Comcast/Universal is going to do whatever it takes to stop Disney from getting FOX.

Never sure if people are serious on Internet.... but to think that a 60b transaction would take something like this into consideration.......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One failed film does not equal a dead franchise.

And, even if SW as a franchise is in trouble, there is no freaking guarantee that "Avatar" will take it's place...particualtry given that "Avatar" is not nearly as well remembered as the SW films.,as much as the Cameron fanboys like to deny that.

This sounds like projection. I bet even @IronJimbo and @JamesCameronScholar would admit they'd love it if the new Star Wars movies were great. Cameron fans are fans of great movies. That's why we're Cameron fans.

dDqURYo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Never sure if people are serious on Internet.... but to think that a 60b transaction would take something like this into consideration.......

Agree, it's little more than a footnote in the book they've internally compiled of strategic reasons for the purchase.

32 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

No, it sounds like a self-insert for a girl he had a high school crush on.

Maybe, but she is the sister of someone used in a scene that used a lot of WW2 era movies/Kurosawa aesthetic with a Kamikaze aspect to it (and that will be a theme of that movie and spoiler alert re-used at least 2 times after that if not 3).

Needless to say, sound like pure speculation supported by no arguments that it was some Disney exec thinking it would help the east-Asia box office to cast an unknown american actress. People invent that speculation base on what look nothing, from a studio that just cast actual big Asian stars in their movies including the very previous Star Wars movie and than play to destroy a strawman they just made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Barnack said:

25 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

This sounds like projection. I bet even @IronJimbo and @JamesCameronScholar would admit they'd love it if the new Star Wars movies were great. Cameron fans are fans of great movies. That's why we're Cameron fans.

dDqURYo.jpg

A lot of people don't think Avatar is a great film....visullay impressive ,yes, but not great.

And since when is Cameron a infallible, al knowing source of Wisdom.? A lot of people find his pontificating to be silly and nothing but an ego trip.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

A lot of people don't think Avatar is a great film....visullay impressive ,yes, but not great.

And since when is Cameron a infallible, al knowing source of Wisdom.? A lot of people find his pontificating to be silly and nothing but an ego trip.

What I find hilarious is how some people worship everything Cameron does without question. How can you like a grindhouse type of film like the first terminator and a melodramatic, bloated love story like titanic ? I bet the people that pass off as Cameron fans in this forum would laugh at something like the first terminator if it wasn’t directed by Cameron.