Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

1 hour ago, Hades said:

They are clearly dominating, they won 2016-2019, Just four year, nothing special, but WB and Universal are having their best years so its all good for them. As we saw with Solo box office things can change very quickly. Going to dry up quicker than we think

Lol...Lionsgate could have released Avengers and it still would have gone big. The wheels were already set in motion. with the phase one Paramount films. Others do the hard work while they get the praise, makes sense.  

Paramount didn't do that much hard work - they were distributors of movies produced and financed by an independent studio.  They didn't even agree to distribution until Marvel Studios pre-sold foreign rights to get financing for IM (not covered under Marvel Studios $500m loan).  

People forget Iron Man was an independent movie. I had to do a lot. I pitched that movie dozens of times to foreign buyers because we had to get, I don’t remember exactly what the percentage was, but a large percentage of financing it from selling it, pre-selling the foreign. We had a completion bond company.  -- Kevin Feige (Vanity Fair)

Avengers never would have been as big with Paramount distribution.  Nor would the films after.  Feige said as much in a recent interview.  Marvel pre Disney was already chaffing at the lack of O/S expansion for IM2 and the way they dropped the ball on Captain America O/S.  The increase in the budget for Avengers, as well as the huge marketing might that came with Disney helped propel the franchise.  They get credit for that though most of the credit still goes to Marvel Studios. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, I think people forget that Thor 1 and Cap 1 were very small successes. Basically did the bare minimum they needed to do to get The Avengers.

Nah, TA was happening no matter what after IM2. Unless maybe they were both epic bombs. Though even still, filming for TA was already well under way when Thor came out. 

Speaking of TA, dear god is this the most horrific trailer for it imaginable:

Wow, were all trailers really like that just 6 years ago? I truly don't remember them being that bad that recently, clearly that had to suck even for then right? Can you even imagine the ensuing online metldowns if MCU put out a trailer like that today, lmao. 

4 hours ago, Jessie said:

Everything Disney touch becomes praised and massively successful. I'd say Disney deserves their credit.

A Wrinkle In Time and Solo say Hi.....

Disney is easily the most successful studio around but they have their failures like every other studio.

Edited by dudalb

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Feige: People forget Iron Man was an independent movie. I had to do a lot. I pitched that movie dozens of times to foreign buyers because we had to get, I don’t remember exactly what the percentage was, but a large percentage of financing it from selling it, pre-selling the foreign.

That payment, combined with the pre-sales of distribution rights in the Reserved Territories and other co-financing proceeds for Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, equals 33% of those films’ budgets. Because of the requirement that we fund 33% of future films, we therefore expect to be in compliance, without any further action on our part, with the Pre-Sale Test when it is first applied (upon funding of the fifth film) and at all relevant times thereafter.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/933730/000136231009002976/c81637e10vk.htm

Seem to have been raising 33% by pre-sales and co-financier, a bit different than your usual independant movie that often need to raise 80-85% before getting the rest from a bank loan.

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Nah, TA was happening no matter what after IM2. Unless maybe they were both epic bombs. Though even still, filming for TA was already well under way when Thor came out. 

Yeah not only they were nice big success, I am unsure that the timeline work either.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

Disney is the most sucked off company there is right now.  People think they are bigger than everyone. I've heard people saying they should buy Microsoft or Amazon so they can dominate software and e-commerce.

Being totally ignorant of how big the other companies are in comparison to Disney. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Speaking of TA, dear god is this the most horrific trailer for it imaginable:

Wow, were all trailers really like that just 6 years ago? I truly don't remember them being that bad that recently, clearly that had to suck even for then right? Can you even imagine the ensuing online metldowns if MCU put out a trailer like that today, lmao. 

This is by far the best Avengers trailer. 

1 minute ago, Warmaster506 said:

Disney is the most sucked off company there is right now.  People think they are bigger than everyone. I've heard people saying they should buy Microsoft or Amazon so they can dominate software and e-commerce.

Being totally ignorant of how big the other companies are in comparison to Disney. 

True,but sort of beside the point. In  the world of entertainment, Disney IS the 500 pound Gorilla.

But is do get a "I hate Disney because they own Marvel" vibe...

Paramount has certainly had it share of problems over the past few years. They did catch a break with "A Quiet Place" bur most of the profits from that hit will be eaten covering the costs of their flops.

They have "MI:Fallout" in July, but other then that they have  very weak summer.

The only thing Paramount has for the Holidays is "Bumblebee", an attempt to reignite the aged Transformers franchise. They are going for a "kinder gentler" approach in this film with an appeal to famalies, but December is full of family aimed movies, and the competition is brutal.If Bumblebee fails..a realistic possibility, then it has lost another franchise. They have had to reboot their Star Trek franchise, their ambitious animation program has ran into problems, (they had to fire the director of their "Amusement Park/Wonderland " animated feature after he caught Harvey Weinstein disease) and their only new franchise acquisition, the Terminator franchise, is a couple of years off from bearing fruit. Paramount is in for a couple more rough years at least.

40 minutes ago, manny1234 said:

Man @Barnack you sure have a good track of making of post about the financial things about movies, my question is do you have a career or education about knowning such stuff?

No career, almost no formal education except some basic economics class and free online course on coursera, mostly books and having most of my money invested in the stock market.

I got interested in the movie business side (and a little bit by box office in extension), after seeing how wrong I got about Netflix stock/prospect around 2012/2013 (I thought it could be a good pick to short.... lol) and trying to find what could be the next one, Liongates at the time at some plan's to start a streaming platform in China and I started to read their annuals report of them and others.

For the individual movie side, it is by reading a lot of the leaked sony stuff, revenues/expense/profit for different performances at the box office expectation for a lot of different movies and looking at the actual result of what they did, even if every movie is a bit is own story, there is general pattern and rules of thumb that emerge. Never worked in the movie business in any way and I would assume that it would rapidly show if an actual world distributor accounting is reading any of what I wrote (i.e. should be taken for someone that is just trying to interpret by is own accounting figures leaks).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

True,but sort of beside the point. In  the world of entertainment, Disney IS the 500 pound Gorilla.

But is do get a "I hate Disney because they own Marvel" vibe...

Only in one sphere of entertainment. Disney's bark is far less than its bite. YouTube's recommendation algorithm alone has more influence on entertainment than all of Disney's media properties put together. I work in Silicon Valley and what makes us so insidious is people forget just how much entertainment influence we have. I'm in between jobs at the moment for a sabbatical, but during my time at my previous job, I was able to make [media/entertainment] decisions that affected hundreds of millions of people, and there was no accountability, no red tape, no media attention. Facebook took a lot of heat recently, sure, but people left Facebook to join Instagram which just makes me laugh.

During Zuckerberg's "inquisition" I could only think of the Watchmen quote, "I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!"

• Like 1

1) Invent a narrative that all fans are just hating her.

2) Easily destroy the narrative you just invented.

3) Never have to address the actual narrative.

Do sound quite similar to what people are accussing LucasArt and cast of doing...

I mean what kind of strange made up so easy to look if it is true people believe outhere:

You’ve not mentioned that @JohnBoyega hasn’t tweeted since the exact same date

When Boyega litteraly answer to him directly with twitter with is validate account, the person respond if I am wrong about that....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

YouTube's recommendation algorithm alone has more influence on entertainment than all of Disney's media properties put together.

On the principle that yt has never challenged me (or any viewer really), i don't see how they can be so influential when all the recommendations do is reinforce the existing dominant opinions of each viewer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

"invent a narrative" jesus christ

Honestly, fandom in general is toxic. Y'all suck.

I am not sure if that in respond to my message, so I will ask

do you believe anyone is actually pushing a narrative that all star wars fans are hating an actress that happen to have appeared in one Star wars movie ?

And not pushing a narrative that so many of them do and express is online that it is an issue ?