Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

22 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

What I find hilarious is how some people worship everything Cameron does without question. How can you like a grindhouse type of film like the first terminator and a melodramatic, bloated love story like titanic ? I bet the people that pass off as Cameron fans in this forum would laugh at something like the first terminator if it wasn’t directed by Cameron.

oHgfAbD.jpg

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Never sure if people are serious on Internet.... but to think that a 60b transaction would take something like this into consideration.......

Why not? Disney is their biggest competition and are kicking their butt all over the place. It makes sense that they wouldn't want them to get even more power and would take the opportunity to get that power for themselves at just about any cost.

Edited by poweranimals

9 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Why not? Disney is their biggest competition and are kicking their butt all over the place. It makes sense that they wouldn't want them to get even more power and would take the opportunity to get that power for themselves at just about any cost.

You think Comcast biggest competition is Disney ? My reflex would have thought that it was something like AT&T ? But I must admit and declare my vast innocence and distributor of content business here. 

Comcast is mostly an Internet, Phone, TV providers the second largest behind AT&T, it is a 85 billion dollar revenues a year company, Universal movies is a tiny bit of that, a particular movie vs an other particular one opening weekend ? For an acquisition about how media are distributed around the world that is part of a many decades long vision and plan's would be affected and people planning it would care a lot about the second weekend on a Pixar movie influence on a Jurassic World opening ? And buying one of the biggest distributor of world media and library of content in Fox would have anything to do about Incredible 2 box office  ?

16 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Disney is their biggest competition and are kicking their butt all over the place.

Who, Comcast? It is still mainly a telecom conglomerate (and bigger than Disney), not really a media company - unless they do buy FOX.

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

What I find hilarious is how some people worship everything Cameron does without question. How can you like a grindhouse type of film like the first terminator and a melodramatic, bloated love story like titanic ? I bet the people that pass off as Cameron fans in this forum would laugh at something like the first terminator if it wasn’t directed by Cameron.

:thinking:   Terminator is great and his best movie.

1 hour ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Perhaps you are projecting? I like films of most genres and am not pigeon holed into liking just one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:thinking:   Terminator is great and his best movie.

I agree. it's Cameron's best movie.

And was, incredible as it may seem given Cameron's current spending habits on his movies, a prime example of what you can do on a small budget.

It also an very well written movie, with charecters you really care about...and that,IMHO, has been the weak point with Cameron;s work lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

This.

Yes, Kennedy made some stupid decisions, but that does not justify the asshole behavior we have seen from the SW fans.

And I am getting real suspicious of your anger about the SW universe becoming a bit more inclusive. I  am beginning to smell a "Angry White Male" at work...a breed I do not like very much, because it pretty much just digusied racism.

Well for one I'm not white, I'm mixed, and for a second I'm not a SW fan. Actually I think they're very poor for how big they are.

But let me ask you this: If you don't like racism, then you must not like prejudice either, correct? I see a lot of prejudice in your post, my friend. 

What I am against is piling people into groups, like individuality doesn't matter. If someone is a piece of shit, that should not be attributed or correlated to race, ethnicity, gender et cetera. Now I don't say that you're racist, because racism is tied with malice, and I don't see that in your post. I just want to point out how easy it is to fall into this kind of thinking. 

I believe that social issues can be solved by people coming together, not with by pointing the finger, cultural segregation and forced thought neutrality. These are totalitarian tactics. Maybe try to have a more nuanced approach next time before you accuse people.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Barnack said:

You think Comcast biggest competition is Disney ? My reflex would have thought that it was something like AT&T ? But I must admit and declare my vast innocence and distributor of content business here. 

Comcast is mostly an Internet, Phone, TV providers the second largest behind AT&T, it is a 85 billion dollar revenues a year company, Universal movies is a tiny bit of that, a particular movie vs an other particular one opening weekend ? For an acquisition about how media are distributed around the world that is part of a many decades long vision and plan's would be affected and people planning it would care a lot about the second weekend on a Pixar movie influence on a Jurassic World opening ? And buying one of the biggest distributor of world media and library of content in Fox would have anything to do about Incredible 2 box office  ?

Which is why the speculation is that Sky TV is what Comcast is really after.

I can see the final result being a 3 way deal, with both Disney and Comcast getting some of the Fox's assets.

1 minute ago, LaughingEvans said:

Well for one I'm not white, I'm mixed, and for a second I'm not a SW fan. Actually I think they're very poor for how big they are.

But let me ask you this: If you don't like racism, then you must not like prejudice either, correct? I see a lot of prejudice in your post, my friend. 

What I am against is piling people into groups, like individuality doesn't matter. If someone is a piece of shit, that should not be attributed or correlated to race, ethnicity, gender et cetera. Now I don't say that you're racist, because racism is tied with malice, and I don't see that in your post. I just want to point out how easy it is to fall into this kind of thinking. 

I believe that social issues can be solved by people coming together, not with by pointing the finger, cultural segregation and forced thought neutrality. These are totalitarian tactics. Maybe try to have a more nuanced approach next time before you accuse people.

I think the events of the past two years have shown the bigotry is not a thing of the past. And it will get only worse with Cheeto Mussolini in charge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

And that is less than 1/3 of their income.

That generous way to put it, it was less than 1/10 of their income in 2017, filmed entertainment was 7.63b of the over 80b comcast revenues and just 15% of their ebidta.

But filmed entertainment division is also less than 1/3 of The Century Fox annual income....

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I agree a lot of PC is stupid, but all too often "fighting PC" is really "pushing racism".

In case you don't really get it, the term political correctness is a negative term. Correctness is absolutely positive, so the addition of political, adds the implication that there is political agenda (or another agenda when used outside of politics) behind it.

Why do I think it's bad? Because it's fake correctness, hypocritical and indecent.  And honesty is a virtue I really respect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:
14 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

I think the events of the past two years have shown the bigotry is not a thing of the past. And it will get only worse with Cheeto Mussolini in charge.

Sure it's not, and I don't believe it ever fully will. We're not a perfect species, and trust me if you think America has it bad, consider that there are places that have it much worse.

We should not ignore though, that things are getting better as we progress, in pretty much every aspect, bigotry included.

Cheeto Mussolini

:hahaha:

Case in point, I don't believe that everyone who voted for Trump is a bigot though. 
What was more likely to get votes for Trump? A) Random dumb Trump tweet  B )Hillary's side idiotic reaction to said dumb tweet

I'm pretty sure it's B, what I don't know is if it was intentional (controlled opposition in politics) or if Americans just lost it in 2016 having to vote between  Trump and Hillary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LaughingEvans said:

and lastly remember to clean your room and stand up straight

• Haha 1

Toby Emmerich (WB film chief) basically implying Batman v Superman was ahead of its time and that in 20 years it will be appreciated for the masterpiece it is:

"(...) when you’re talking about art, I do believe that it’s tough to judge art at the moment when its presented to the world. My father was very involved in the arts, he was always taking me to museums and galleries and historical buildings. He believed any kind of art — whether it’s fashion or sculpture or architecture or filmmaking or music — it takes 20 years to judge the quality of something. Twenty years after Sgt. Pepper or Born to Run comes out, then you can understand what that album was. I guess when I say “quality,” I don’t want to judge anybody’s movies completely at the moment of release. But I would say there are movies that are right for their time, that an audience is ready for, that’s in sync with the zeitgeist, and I think you need a movie whose quality is recognized at the moment of release so it’s in touch with the culture of the moment. We’re at a unique moment around the planet and certain types of movies are working better than others at this moment of time."

http://ew.com/movies/2018/06/18/warner-bros-toby-emmerich-interview-aquaman/

WB executives love Zack Snyder, I have no doubt we will see his cut of Justice League one day, probably in some anniversary edition. They must have been pissed at Jon Berg and Geoff Johns arguing with Snyder for a fun and colorful Justice League and then failing spectaluarly at the box office. No wonder they were given the boot so quickly.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1