Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

37 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Miramax did not go to court with Disney. Disney let the Weinsteins run Miramax the same way that they let Feige run Marvel. It's also the same way that they let Kennedy run Lucasfilm. 

I think it was completely different than Feige in recent year, Weinsteins was financing movie without Disney knowledge and they refused to distribute some of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_9/11#Production

Disney had blocked Miramax from releasing two films before: Kids and Dogma

Disney announced that Miramax film studio founders Harvey and Bob Weinstein had personally acquired the rights to the documentary after Disney declined to distribute it. The Weinsteins agreed to repay Disney for all costs to that point, estimated at around $6 million. They also agreed to be responsible for all costs to finish the film and all marketing costs not paid by any third-party film distributors.[10] A settlement between the Weinsteins and Disney was also reached so that 60% of the film's profit would be donated to charity

During their tenure, the Weinstein brothers ran Miramax independently of other Disney subsidiaries. Disney, however, had the final say on what Miramax could release

From what I understand they were really a financier of the distribution with Miramax being really independent and what movies were made and how those movies were made. They were makings movies, when they were done Disney 

I doubt it is Feige that is deciding to put Audi ads in is movies.

Edited by Barnack

Why is it, a female critic can get away with this, but a male critic will get ragged for making similar comments ?

Thor review

Sorry, Casablanca and Gone With The Wind, but Thor: Ragnarok is the greatest film of all time.

Let me tell you why.

Firstly, Chris Hemsworth.

Secondly, Chris Hemsworth’s body.

Thirdly, same as above but for literally everyone in the cast.

http://www.metronews.ca/views/metro-views/2017/11/05/vicky-mochama-on-thor-ragnarok-.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Film critics associations are starting to hit back at Disneys ban on LA times access to screenings and talent by banning Disney from being able to get awards.

http://www.metronews.ca/business/2017/11/07/film-critics-bar-disney-from-awards-over-l-a-times-dispute.html

The LA times and The Mouse have had an ongoing feud for years.

Most recent flap was the LA times reporting that Disney was using it's muscle to get concessions it wanted from the City of  Anaheim.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The LA times and The Mouse have had an ongoing feud for years.

Most recent flap was the LA times reporting that Disney was using it's muscle to get concessions it wanted from the City of  Anaheim.

This is what the current dispute is about.

Disney has banned LA times critics from screenings because of the Anaheim story.

12 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Why is it, a female critic can get away with this, but a male critic will get ragged for making similar comments ?

It is true that it tend to play funny (like the V of Tarzan) instead of creepy, maybe a bit for why ex-strippers (Tatum, Pratt, etc...) are not perceived to have a dramatic past vs a woman stripper and the mood at a strip club for woman is quite different more party than for men. A male critic can say something very similar but he will need to do it with elegance.

One possible reason is that Hemsworth got roles without that body (like is drastic weight lost in the Mobby Dick movie) and is not reduced to it by the movie world, he is considered funny and so on.

And other reason could be a bit of a historical sophism, male objectified woman a lot until recently now it is their turn.

It is perceived that the consequence for a male to not fit the objectified one in that profession are less than for woman or at least the array of possible of what can pass for hot for male is way larger (a director can make is male love interest sexy to the female audience in a lot of way, humor, quiet and solid leadership, taking care of an animal that was hurt or a kid, etc....)

And the other way around, it is more ok to always say that a male politician is really hot and it seem to be much more ok to laugh about a fat male politician (like Trump) than a female one for many people, probably for similar reason, because in reality they are less reduced to what they look like or at least that is the perception.

43 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Apparently, the ban has ended. The bad PR got to them. 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-backs-la-times-ban-backlash-1055758

Disney should have known better,particularly since they own a news network. As Mark Twain said, never start a feud with somebody who buys ink by the barrel....

Edited by dudalb

29 minutes ago, AndyK said:

This is what the current dispute is about.

Disney has banned LA times critics from screenings because of the Anaheim story.

I knew that.

And I am shocked...SHOCKED...that the Mouse gets special treatment in Anaheim.

Let's face it:Walt Disney choosing to put Disneyland there made Anaheim. Except for that Anaheim would be just another LA suburb. And it still one of the biggest employers in Anaheim. I am pretty sure for years it has been a case of ;The Mouse says Jump, the Anaheim City Council says How High?

39 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Thor review

http://www.metronews.ca/views/metro-views/2017/11/05/vicky-mochama-on-thor-ragnarok-.html

Because reverse sexism isn't a thing that exists.

Maybe if women rule the world, and make these comments for the next few hundred years, then you can complain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I do a happy dance whenever it's bad news for Rupert......I cannot express how much I hate the bastard and what he has done to the news industry.

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And other reason could be a bit of a historical sophism, male objectified woman a lot until recently now it is their turn.

That's a great way for activists to lose all credibility.   Either you are for equality between the sexes or you are not.  Choose one.   You can't support something you formally claimed is bad with some kind of "revenge" exception.   Just how long will it be "ok"?   How long will this revenge period last before you finally start advocating equality?

So the Fox/Disney sales talk  is so Rupert can keep control of his company during a stockholder's rebellion? interesting.

One thing is sure: this story will not be covered on Fox News....

Edited by dudalb
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Harpospoke said:

That's a great way for activists to lose all credibility.   Either you are for equality between the sexes or you are not.  Choose one.   You can't support something you formally claimed is bad with some kind of "revenge" exception.   Just how long will it be "ok"?   How long will this revenge period last before you finally start advocating equality?

I think you don't quite know what equality is, but that's for a different thread...

Thor review

Because women have been objectified throughout all of history?
Why are you so fucking pissed a female critic is drooling over shirtless Thor?