Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

A fascinating article by Tony Rayns (who broke the news of the Weinsteins' recutting) on Bong/Weinstein battle. Lots of great tidbits in there, including the revelation that Scott Foundas' review in Variety was based on an unauthorized screening of the original cut, and that Harvey wanted Neil Gaiman to write new voiceovers (Bong refused to go along with it). Also, it seems the original cut will be in the lineup of next year's Berlin Film Festival.

This movie is gonna make like 14 dollars at the box office, isn't it?I can't wait to see it, even if I think the Weinsteins are about to screw it over,If you haven't seen Memories of Murder or The Host (not the Saorise Ronan movie), go watch Memories of murder and The Host.

Edited by kowhite

Just watched it in cinemas, and man was it great!Hopefully the original cut will be shown in the U.S.

Aw, I'm jealous :(The concept of Snowpiercer is compared with Elysium. What's your opinion on that? The execution gotta be way better, I hope.

Aw, I'm jealous :(The concept of Snowpiercer is compared with Elysium. What's your opinion on that? The execution gotta be way better, I hope.

Concept, yes there are similarities. Execution, Snowpiercer is the much better of the two.I say believe what the critics are saying for this film. It's an extremely well-done piece of sci fi, IMO.
  • Like 2

Good news sort of, it looks like the original cut will remain but instead of going wide, it'll be a platform release followed by a larger rollout

http://www.deadline.com/2014/02/bong-joon-ho-and-harvey-weinstein-reach-truce-on-snowpiercer/

EXCLUSIVE: A disagreement between filmmaker and distributor Harvey Weinstein over length and pacing of the Bong Joon-Ho helmed Snowpiercer has been resolved, I hear. Weinstein bought U.S. rights on the movie back in 2012 AFM on the basis of script and some sample footage. A wide release was in the contract, until the director turned in a cut of just beyond two and one-half hours. The truce is basically that the director keeps the length of his action film but instead of a wide release, it will be a platform release with a roll out. I am told the picture is not being dumped. The film, which stars Chris Evans, Tilda Swinton and Octavia Spencer, has done well in Korea and France and has gotten strong reviews. This is the hard part about the kind of buying that is taking place right now in Berlin, where distributors are making decisions based on scripts and sizzle reels, if they’re lucky. When the movie doesn’t deliver what the agents promised, this kind of give and take is inevitable.

• Like 2

Finally!!!Bong Joon Ho, here I come. Been waiting forever to see this.But still, there's no confirmed dates yet. I wonder if they'll release (and expand) it towards year end or in summer?

• Like 1

Harvey is going to dump this movie in June by handing it to Radius-TWC. TWC is probably the worst mid-major distributor if your movie is not an Oscar contender but I don't get why producers keep selling their movies to them.

Exhibitor Relations @ERCboxoffice 1m

Joon-ho Bong's SNOWPIERCER will finally see the light of day in North America on June 27, 2014, ltd release from Radius-TWC.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1

Yay, a release date at last. Don't even care if Weinstein dumped it. The movie already made good profit elsewhere, I'm just glad that I finally get to watch it. Hopefully they'll keep their words and it'll be Bong's cut.

Yay, a release date at last. Don't even care if Weinstein dumped it. The movie already made good profit elsewhere, I'm just glad that I finally get to watch it. Hopefully they'll keep their words and it'll be Bong's cut.

Wait until they dump it in select theaters between LA and NYC, with no screenings available in Texas.

• Like 1

Wait until they dump it in select theaters between LA and NYC, with no screenings available in Texas.

Hey, don't you dare give them ideas!Seriously, I've been waiting too long for this. It better be released in Texas.