Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

RT has put up a consensus already:

Smart, thrilling, and led by an outstanding performance from Chris Evans, Snowpiercer offers an audaciously ambitious action spectacular for filmgoers numb to effects-driven blockbusters.

89%

Average Rating: 7.7/10Reviews Counted: 28Fresh: 25 | Rotten: 3

• Like 5

Well this just shot to number one of the year of my list. Tops TWS, though I can rematch the latter more (more fun/optimistic).

But Jesus, this was sublime. Great filmmaking, great fucking action, and great acting.

I can't see what the hell Weinstein wanted to edit, other than maybe stuff in the final act that really, oh… I don't know, developed characters and stuff. What the shit, Harvey? 

So, a confident 10/10 for me. I'll be buying this on BR if they ever release it. When I looked up the budget, I think it was around $30+ million, and it's already grossed $80mil int'l, so I guess it might, MAYBE make at least 3x its budget back once the US gets in play. Which is pretty good for this, right? 

I have no idea what to hope for this? Would $15 dom. be good? The release is so limited and crappy; there's only the Metreon playing it around me. 

• Like 5

This will make far less than it deserves, fantastic movie. Probably my second favorite of the year so far (loved me some Budapest Hotel).At least South Korea knows what's up.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 5

This will make far less than it deserves, fantastic movie. Probably my second favorite of the year so far (loved me some Budapest Hotel).At least South Korea knows what's up.

Couldn't help patting yourself on the back there, huh? The movie is only playing at 10 theaters or so this weekend. That's frustrating :(
  • Like 2

Bong Joon Ho is the man! He needs to make more movies. Preferably with my man Song Kang Ho.Park Chan Wook as well. Guy is a serious talent. Not counting his Korean filmography (all of which are good to great) Stoker was a wonderful debut for him in English-speaking movie.

• Like 2

Articles:

Rolling Stone: Train in Vain: How 'Snowpiercer' Became the Summer's Coolest Movie

"This is our tentpole for the Summer," Quinn says. "We see this as a movie that could play on a thousand-plus screens."

One wants to believe him: As a Senior VP with Magnolia Pictures, Quinn oversaw the releases of three earlier Bong films, including The Host. It would be great to see Snowpiercer became as big an international hit as that earlier film, which also blended cutting social commentary, blockbuster set pieces and the sort of thrills you rarely get out of contemporary marketed-to-death multiplex fare. Regardless, its creators can take pride in the fact that they've beaten Hollywood at its own sci-fi epic/action-flick blockbuster game — and come up with a piece of counter programming that's hands down the coolest movie of the summer.

EW: Everything you need to know about 'Snowpiercer,' this summer's best post-apocalyptic comedy-horror fairy tale

Bong was undaunted by the logistics of the shoot. After mapping out the visuals with hand-drawn storyboards, he shot in a non-­Hollywood way that left little room for error. “Instead of doing typical coverage where you run the entire scene from every angle and edit your choices later, Bong shoots his edit,” says Evans. “You could take all his footage, give it to 30 different editors, and it would be exactly the same movie.”

Cinema Blend: Why Snowpiercer Is The Must-See Event Movie Of The Summer

This is unique, brawny, thrilling filmmaking on a large scale, a risk-taking picture so unique it should form its own cult. We're not going to get another Snowpiercer again. For the love of all films that dare to be unpredictable, dare to be silly, dare to be gloriously, wildly imperfect, Snowpiercer is the event film of the summer. Skip it at your own peril.

• Like 3