Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

Director Bong also did some Q&A on Reddit. You can read it here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/293cd9/lets_take_a_bizarre_train_ride_with_bong_joonho/

He talked a bit in-depth about Snowpiercer, answer some questions about the cast members (mostly Chris and Tilda Swinton), The Host sequel and some other interesting topics.

I particularly liked this answer:

How do you feel about Americans wanting to remake your films? Do you find it flattering or offensive?

[+]BongJoonHo[S] 42 점43 점44 점 4 일 전 (0 개 답글)

[–]BongJoonHo[S] 42 점43 점44 점

4 일 전

Actually, Universal talked about wanting to remake The Host a while ago. And I am fine with it either way, if the remake comes out successful I can take credit for being the original creator and writer. And if it comes out terrible, well people will say the first one is better. So I am fine with it either way.

• Like 2

“Snowpiercer” isn’t a perfect movie but it is an astonishing one. Bong takes the dystopian fantasies of such movies as “Blade Runner” and “Brazil” and compresses them into an elongated space that rushes forward on speed and story. The film’s visual imagination is baroque, insane, inspired, with each railway car a newly revealed universe of beauty and peril. The cast includes Jamie Bell (“Billy Elliot”), Octavia Spencer (“The Help”), and Bong regulars Song Kang-ho and Ko Ah-sung as drug-addicted locksmiths. “Snowpiercer” demands to be seen.

It almost wasn’t. Back in 2012, Harvey Weinstein of The Weinstein Co. bought US rights to the film based on its script and a few sample scenes, but when Bong turned in the finished film the distributor balked. The 126-minute runtime wasn’t as much an issue as the film’s dark tone, often brutal violence, and general creative weirdness. The wide release Weinstein envisioned now seemed risky; secondhand reports had company executives claiming the film wouldn’t be understood by audiences in Iowa and Oklahoma. Bong was told he had to cut 20 minutes or the film wouldn’t be released. In effect, he was being penalized for being too visionary.

The expected Internet furor arose, centering around Weinstein’s long-established “Harvey Scissorhands” cartoon persona — the thick-fingered studio vulgarian trampling the rights of artists. Bong refused to make the edits, especially after a Weinstein cut reportedly tested more poorly than the director’s original. Meanwhile, “Snowpiercer” was released in Korea, France, and other countries to rave reviews and massive box-office returns. Finally Weinstein relented: Bong’s version could go out to US theaters — but only in limited release. Instead of playing 600 to 1,000 screens, “Snowpiercer” would be seen in 100 or so art houses and out-of-the-way multiplexes. Until Ned Hinkle, creative director of the Brattle Theatre, stepped in, the film’s only scheduled Boston-area theater was the AMC Loews Methuen 20, 31 miles from downtown Boston.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2014/06/28/harvey-weinstein-and-saga-snowpiercer/XOoYjxsOisSUhgut1dSfmJ/story.html

• Like 1

It's clearly amazing how this movie is the "worst" Joon-Ho movie and the weakest of his stellar filmography (I prefer Memories Of Murder and The Host in comparison) but damn his "worst" is anyone's else best/masterpiece. (Basically it's Matrix trilogy told in one movie when Joon-Ho tells you in a self contained 2 hours movie what Wachos bros painfully told in 6 hours). The set designer deserves an Oscar nod.

I'm jelly. I read some reviews saying that the movie is surprisingly funny. They probably are not familiar with Bong who always has that wicked sense of humor in his movies. There are some complains about shaky cam as well, what do you think?
  • Like 2

I'm jelly.I read some reviews saying that the movie is surprisingly funny. They probably are not familiar with Bong who always has that wicked sense of humor in his movies.There are some complains about shaky cam as well, what do you think?

The first fight scene quite suffered from it so you're starting to be worried the whole movie could be hindered by shakycam and close shots cut very fast in a muddy visual mess but Joon-Ho doesn't use it that much afterwards using travellings/panning shots coupled with slowmo like his buddy Park Chan Wook to emphasize on the clarity of the action and the sheer violence on display.

The

torch scene

for hence is one of the epic highlight.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

The first fight scene quite suffered from it so you're starting to be worried the whole movie could be hindered by shakycam and close shots cut very fast in a muddy visual mess but Joon-Ho doesn't use it that much afterwards using travellings/panning shots coupled with slowmo like his buddy Park Chan Wook to emphasize on the clarity of the action and the sheer violence on display. The

torch scene

for hence is one of the epic highlight.

Thanks dash :)And I agree with your previous post. Bong has a stellar filmography, he hasn't done a bad movie yet. And looks like this one has the dash seal of approval, so all the better. I'm excited. I want to see it so bad. I will probably pester my bf to drive me to Dallas to see it, lol.

Five more hours!!! I'm so excited I'm going to die.

Hey, don't die. You gotta watch the movie first, and come back here to tell us what you think. And then you can die if you wish so :P
  • Like 1

http://www.firstshowing.net/2014/interview-snowpiercer-director-bong-joon-ho-on-mastering-sci-fi/

Interview with Director Bong (with spoilers) - an excerpt about Evans

OMG  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I CAN'T WITH THE BONG/EVANS STUFF!! 

I love, love, love that he's very clearly impressed with Evans! Maybe they'll work together again in the future!

• Like 2

Baron(ess) Zemo is a fantastic idea but she'd also make one hell of a Dr. Strange.

I think I'd prefer Eva Green for Strange if we're gonna gender bend.

Unless of course, you mean Swinton playing a guy. I could get behind that.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

I don't think I've seen a movie like this, ever. It seems like a normal Hollywood-style blockbuster on the surface, but once you add playfully insane tonal shifts, characters who dive straight into the premise, and a perfect sense of atmosphere and world building, then there's simply no words I can use to describe this film. It's crazy and surprisingly inventive in ways that I don't want to spoil. Just see it, you'll be glad that you did!

• Like 4