kayumanggi

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM | 580.0 M overseas ● 814.0 M worldwide

Well let me do a calculation. This is expected to do more or less 230-240m in the USA (taking the optimistic side). So, it would need approximately 560-570m  from overseas in order to gross 800m. It is expected to gross about 150m from Japan and China (60m from Japan and 90m from China), which means that it needs about 410-420 from all other countries. It has grossed so far 325m so it needs an extra 90m. Is that reachable?

• Like 1

It'll do another 15m or so from the UK, so that leaves 75m. South Korea, Germany, France and Australia are still making good money, as well as some other smaller markets, but not sure if it's enough for 75m.

I think it ends up around 780m WW. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

It'll do another 15m or so from the UK, so that leaves 75m. South Korea, Germany, France and Australia are still making good money, as well as some other smaller markets, but not sure if it's enough for 75m.

I think it ends up around 780m WW. 

Yeah sth like 780m seems like the most possible outcome. But obviously 800m is still quit possible. It will be determined by how much it will be affected by Rogue One...

So far it is following a patter of OS (excluding Japan annd China) =  1.8X USA ... So  it must be close considering that USA has another 50m left. With that pattern it will be 90m but I reaallly doubt this can keep up.

Anything north of 700M is AMAZING! AUJ is the nearest comparison but that movie heavily relied on featuring prominent characters from LOTR. FB did not have that and its ties to the original HP franchise are tertiary at best. It's more like adapting Children of Hurin and getting these solid results. With Dumbledore making his big debut in the sequel, I can only expect collections to go up, not down like each succeeding Hobbit.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Anything north of 700M is AMAZING! AUJ is the nearest comparison but that movie heavily relied on featuring prominent characters from LOTR. FB did not have that and its ties to the original HP franchise are tertiary at best. It's more like adapting Children of Hurin and getting these solid results. With Dumbledore making his big debut in the sequel, I can only expect collections to go up, not down like each succeeding Hobbit.

I agree that  Hobbit is not a good comparison. Hobbit was a very well known story that had fans by its own and had many loved characters from the lotr series. FB was competely new and had NOTHING in comparison with HP apart from being in the same world.  

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them is still the one to beat at the international box office this weekend as the industry holds its breath before the global roll-out of Rogue One.

The Harry Potter spin-off has amassed a commendable $443.6m through Warner Bros Pictures International and is on course to cross $500m by next week if not by Sunday.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-eyes-500m-intl-tally/5112039.article?blocktitle=LATEST-FILM-NEWS&contentID=40562

• Like 2

Looking back at the other Wizarding World movies' runs, it feels very odd to me how "poorly" they have performed to USA compared to other territories. I think it's safe to say that USA is probably one of the weakest territories for Harry Potter. I was shocked to find out that DH2 grossed less than 400m in the USA. I mean it did 950m OS. With such a number you would expect an over 1.5m finish at least. TFA OS number was "only" 170m more while its total was 700m more.... Even the lowest WW grossing film OS which will probably end up being Fantastic Beasts will end with approximately 550m. That number can easily be seen in a 900m movie or even in a billion-grossing movie. Finding Dory did less,BvS did less, The Secret Life of Pets did less and it is a ton more than the films that will end up having more or less tthe same WW total with it(Deadpool/Suicide Squad).

I find this very surprising. I thought that HP book sales were very strong in America... Is there any reasoning behind this?

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Looking back at the other Wizarding World movies' runs, it feels very odd to me how "poorly" they have performed to USA compared to other territories. I think it's safe to say that USA is probably one of the weakest territories for Harry Potter. I was shocked to find out that DH2 grossed less than 400m in the USA. I mean it did 950m OS. With such a number you would expect an over 1.5m finish at least. TFA OS number was "only" 170m more while its total was 700m more.... Even the lowest WW grossing film OS which will probably end up being Fantastic Beasts will end with approximately 550m. That number can easily be seen in a 900m movie or even in a billion-grossing movie. Finding Dory did less,BvS did less, The Secret Life of Pets did less and it is a ton more than the films that will end up having more or less tthe same WW total with it(Deadpool/Suicide Squad).

I find this very surprising. I thought that HP book sales were very strong in America... Is there any reasoning behind this?

Could be because the cast was British and the movies were based in Britain.
Just guessing here.

17 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

It is well known that fantasy is generally more popular OS than DOM. LOTR is the other obvious example for this. Back in 2003, ROTK became the second highest grossing movie OS and WW but was "only" the sixth highest grossing movie domestically (fourth if you exclude re-releases).

However, Harry Potter is definitely massively popular domestically as well. In fact the book series was so popular that the New York Times had to remove the book from it's best sellers list and create a new category specifically for Children's books (because the first three Potter books had essentially dominated the top three spots in the list for years). I also believe that every Potter book since the third ended up being the best selling book of it's respective year.

But still, despite this popularity in US, some countries like it's motherland (UK) simply take it to another level. In 2007, the US had a population of about 300 million. The final Potter book, released that year, sold 8.3 million units in it's first day. Record-breakingly huge. Yet, in the UK, with a population of about 60 million in 2007, saw the same book sell 2.6 million copies in it's first day. Also record-breaking, but even more impressive than the US, as it had a third of the sales with only a fifth of the population.

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

It is well known that fantasy is generally more popular OS than DOM. LOTR is the other obvious example for this. Back in 2003, ROTK became the second highest grossing movie OS and WW but was "only" the sixth highest grossing movie domestically (fourth if you exclude re-releases).

However, Harry Potter is definitely massively popular domestically as well. In fact the book series was so popular that the New York Times had to remove the book from it's best sellers list and create a new category specifically for Children's books (because the first three Potter books had essentially dominated the top three spots in the list for years). I also believe that every Potter book since the third ended up being the best selling book of it's respective year.

But still, despite this popularity in US, some countries like it's motherland (UK) simply take it to another level. In 2007, the US had a population of about 300 million. The final Potter book, released that year, sold 8.3 million units in it's first day. Record-breakingly huge. Yet, in the UK, with a population of about 60 million in 2007, saw the same book sell 2.6 million copies in it's first day. Also record-breaking, but even more impressive than the US, as it had a third of the sales with only a fifth of the population.

I knew that the book sales were unprecedentent so it felt very strange to me. It feels sooo absurb to have done such numbers in books and the films to be in a worse league than THG. I mean THG has sold 70m in book sales in USA. I can bet my right hand that HP has done at least double that not to take this further...

Still seems SOOO odd to me...

The thing about fantasy you mentioned may be the key but still, I don't think that I am convinced..