baumer

Creed (2015)

Grade it  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A surprisingly strong, totally crowd-pleasing movie that manages to surpass early expectations and become a worthy addition to the Rocky saga. Ryan Coogler has shown that Fruitvale Station really was the start of a very promising, full of potential directorial career. Michael B. Jordan solidifies his status as one of the best actors of his generation, but Sylvester Stallone (giving his best work in a very, very, very long time) is tremendous. One of the best films of the year. A-

Edited by filmlover

Really disappointed by this. So many things did not work for me. First the relationship with with Creed and girlfriend felt shewed in.  The movie dragged a lot, easily could have been 20 minutes shorter. The only thing I liked was final 30 minutes which saved the film for being a total disaster

2/5. 

I was yawning pretty hard by the first training montage, and that was like the first 30 minutes? Shit looked like it would never end.

Why I even bother anymore? 

I like to say that any of the Rocky sequels (well except 4) would have fared A LOT better if it was the only sequel.

Rocky V 75/100

Rocky 75/100

Rocky II 60/100

Rocky III 50/100

Rocky Balboa 45/100

Creed 40/100

Rocky IV 35/100

• Like 1

Creed is a Rocky Movie so it's an excellent movie. That's stupid when things are said like this but Fans understand me.
It's absolutely not the best since the First. Professionals critics are pathetic sometimes when they say this... But it's perhaps the most important. You get me ?

The good :

Sly's performance is amazing. If he doesn't win the Oscar then, f**k the Oscars...
The dialogues : really great. That's the sign that you are in a Rocky Movie.
The characters : Awesome. Everybody do his Job. Even the professionals Boxers. I'm impressed. That the Sign that you are in a Rocky Movie too. Antonio Tarver was not as good as the Boxers in Creed.

The Bad :

- Some scenes (When Rocky is not here) are a little bit boring.
- Music is good but nowhere near Bill Conti's Music or even Vince Dicola's Music. Nowhere.
- Some things are over explained.

Overall : fantastic Movie even if some things could have been improved.
Really, really hard to rank Creed among other Rocky Movies. Really hard.
I can't wait for CREED 2 but I know that it is right now really difficult to write a storyline as good as this one.
I know too that Creed worked because of Rocky and the incredible performance of Sly...
Without Rocky/Stallone, the film could not work IMO.
CREED is perhaps the most important Rocky Movie since the first but absolutely not the best one. Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV and Rocky VI are better IMO.

But it's a great addition and a very important Movie for Rocky's Fans.

Sly did it again.

Edited by Laurent K
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2015 at 4:29 AM, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

Not only did the greatness of the character Rocky Balboa stay preserved.But one of the greatest characters in movie history saw his legend grow greater in this film.

I agree ! Very well said.

• Like 1

I'm with the guys who felt this dragged for far too long. This was the longest 90 min long movie i've ever seen, they could have cut lot of stuff out. I felt that they didn't really have much to develop and instead resorted to nostalgia effect, which is meaningless to me since I've never seen a Rocky movie. The final fight was great, though, and it really put me on the edge of my seat. 

It was fine, after all. 

60/10

That was one of the biggest surprises I've ever had with movies. Wasn't expecting anything from this, and I absolutely loved it. It was so touching, the characters were so lovable. I cried a lot even though I didn't watch any of the Rocky movies. It was just excellent!

17 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That was one of the biggest surprises I've ever had with movies. Wasn't expecting anything from this, and I absolutely loved it. It was so touching, the characters were so lovable. I cried a lot even though I didn't watch any of the Rocky movies. It was just excellent!

You should give the first one a watch. It totally deserves its all timer status

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

You should give the first one a watch. It totally deserves its all timer status

I have it on my list on Netflix for a very long time, I was just never much into sports movies. I would have probably waited until it gets close to its expiration date to finally see it. But now it's definitely one of my priorities.

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I have it on my list on Netflix for a very long time, I was just never much into sports movies. I would have probably waited until it gets close to its expiration date to finally see it. But now it's definitely one of my priorities.

Its not really a sports movie, its more of a life movie if you known what I'm saying

• Like 1

AMAZING from start to finish. I'm not a huge Rocky fan, I love the first, I love IV but I have seen all the others just once and barely remember what happens in them. But this movie got me. The story was great, the nostalgia was way more subtle than I expected, Stallone destroyed me and Michael B. Jordan will someday become a huge star if there's justice in the world.

I'm in the minority that didn't like Fruitvale Station at all. But Coogler delivered here.

A.

• Like 1

On 2016-01-09 at 8:10 PM, Goffe said:

I was yawning pretty hard by the first training montage, and that was like the first 30 minutes? Shit looked like it would never end.

Why I even bother anymore? 

I like to say that any of the Rocky sequels (well except 4) would have fared A LOT better if it was the only sequel.

Rocky V 75/100

Rocky 75/100

Rocky II 60/100

Rocky III 50/100

Rocky Balboa 45/100

Creed 40/100

Rocky IV 35/100

Did Coolio put a hex on you with his George Washington Duke shit or do you seriously think Rocky V is the best one? :huh:

Even Sly himself admitted that part V sucked.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Did Coolio put a hex on you with his Union Cane shit or do you seriously think Rocky V is the best one? :huh:

Old man Coolio has no power over me.

Yes, I think V is the best. I don't really remember why, but I think it was because the fights weren't really the focus.