grim22

Weekend #s. MJ2 51.6/75.7M, TGD 39.2/55.6M lowest Pixar opening since Bugs Life, Creed 30/42M biggest OW for a boxing movie

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well I think your age demo must  definitely be the target, because the only person I know who wants to see it is my 15 year old nephew. 

For me it looks like something I might rent once its out to see how it is, but If my friends want to do a matinee over break and I don't have anything better to do I guess I'll do it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Empire of Spies said:

Worst films I saw at the theater this year were Jurassic World & Minions. I hated both of them. 

JW is like a one time experience film. Its fun once but if you star think about its really pretty shit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Empire of Spies said:

Worst films I saw at the theater this year were Jurassic World & Minions. I hated both of them. 

Yeah, Minions is very weak. I liked the opening but that was it. That is what keeps it from entering my worst of the year list.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

JW is like a one time experience film. Its fun once but if you star think about its really pretty shit.

I feel like this about Skyfall.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah the marketing for it did seem to really cool off in the last month for some reason. They were doing great before that. I'm also wondering if animation oversaturation finally kicked in this year. I mean we had 3 really big animated hits released between June and September, and now two months later two more were released and expected to do big numbers. That's why I was never predicting big numbers for Peanuts, but it did better than I thought actually. The demand for that market may simply be exhausted by now though, and as far as we know TGD is only even doing this because it is Pixar. Would've been nice if it could've had the month to itself for animation.

I do expect more big budget animation underperformers in the years to come as they saturate the market even more. Next summer could be a disaster for everything besides Dory and Pets given there's also Ice Age 5, Angry Birds, Ratchet and Clank, and Kubo and the Two Strings in the mix (and Pete's Dragon is part animation). And next Holiday has 3 of the big 4 releasing, with Trolls, Moana, and Sing. 

Ice Age 5 will more than make up what it doesn't make domestic from OS but I do agree that the animation market is oversaturated since every studio is releasing 1-2 animated films per year and I think we will see casualties even from the big hitters like WDAS and Illumination. We saw what happened with DWA and it'll happen to one of the other studios if they're not careful

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Victor Frankenstein... isn't awful! Actually, it's not that bad!

Sure, it had moments where it was too campy and ridiculous, but I actually enjoyed it as a re-telling of the story. The acting is fantastic accross the board. McAvoy is without a doubt, phenomenal, which is actually pretty surprising I found that a movie like Victor Frankenstein could contain such a performance. And Radcliffe proved he isn't just a one hit wonder with HP, he's great too. It isn't anything groundbreaking, but I can't say that it's bad. Because I'm not sure what other people would think, I would say at least watch this for free if you can find it on Netflix, or even pay a buck or whatever to Redbox it.

(I'm not in the same boat, but my dad said V Frankenstein > Creed)

• Like 1

Victor Frankenstein is the type of movie it would make money in Portugal but because it tanked so hard in America they will force the portuguese distributor to cancel it. Shame. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Victor Frankenstein is the type of movie it would make money in Portugal but because it tanked so hard in America they will force the portuguese distributor to cancel it. Shame. 

That's unfortunate :( You may have really enjoyed it!

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Is Sicario better or worse then Prisoners?

I like Prisoners but I thought the middle of the film was a little rough (it ended super strong though)

Prisoners is a much better watch IMO. Sicario has a lot to say, but it isn't nearly as entertaining.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ice Age 5 will more than make up what it doesn't make domestic from OS but I do agree that the animation market is oversaturated since every studio is releasing 1-2 animated films per year and I think we will see casualties even from the big hitters like WDAS and Illumination. We saw what happened with DWA and it'll happen to one of the other studios if they're not careful

It may already be happening to Pixar. TGD is far from a guaranteed hit now with that kind of opening and budget. 

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

It may already be happening to Pixar. TGD is far from a guaranteed hit now with that kind of opening and budget. 

TGD will still make money. 

Dory will make bank.

Incredibles 2 over 1B WW

Hail Pixar!

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Prisoners is a much better watch IMO. Sicario has a lot to say, but it isn't nearly as entertaining.

I mean that's kind of my problem with Prisoners. I get it was trying to say that Hugh's character let the tragic events on him lead him to become just as of a person as the person who kidnapped his daughter, but I just kind of hated his character because he was just so gross and disgusting and despicable. I wish they had focused the film more on Gyllenhaal.