grim22

BOF's Top 25 movies of 2015. Full list on Page 13. The forum is shiny and chrome.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Spy

F7DIlI6.png

L7YQNcx.png

Another of the spy movies from 2015, this was imaginatively titled "Spy". I really liked the fact that McCarthy's character is actually very well qualified and even better than the actual spies in the agency as opposed to the bumbling character she normally plays or was portrayed in the trailers. The movies standout, of course, was Jason Statham with his hilarious monologues

BOF User Reviews:

Loved it. I haven't laughed this hard during a movie in a long time. McCarthy was great, really funny. Loved Byrne and Serafinowicz. Statham was absolutely hilarious (dude seriously needs to do more comedy - he's great).

Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Rating A

-Pepper83

Movie was funny as hell. Sort of dragged a bit in the middle I thought, but it the third act was so damn brilliant it made up for it.

Everybody did great. McCarthy was good as usual, Jude Law did fine, and Statham, Byrne, and Peter Serafinowicz were all fantastic. Seriously, putting Statham in this role was a stroke of fucking genius.

Not without its flaws, at times it became your usual "dick/vagina joke" filled R-rated comedy, but most of the time it acted as a really witty spy film parody.

I give it a B+, among the most enjoyable films I've seen in the past couple of years.

-Mango

I LOVED THIS MOVIE AND IT MENTIONED THE HUNGER GAMES TOO SO THATS A PLUS 

Spoiler

The Hateful Eight

QvJWq82.png

pGjNmOv.png

Another movie I didn't get around to watching yet, will probably rectify that soon.

BOF User Reviews:

A slight step down from Django but very good nonetheless. It does take a very long, leisurely route to the finale--but once it got there, it delivered and then some. Did an excellent of establishing each of these men as indeed hateful monsters who are guilty of racism, murder, torture, and rape (in a flashback that possibly rivals the Zed scene as the most unnerving thing Tarantino's put in a movie).

But, likewise, I struggled to really connect to any of the characters enough to be invested in the violence until after it happened. Yet, much like Reservoir Dogs, the movie shines in the aftermath of said violence, making unlikely allies and giving genuine surprises, building that connection that had been absent before. 

It must be said that while there was no show-stealer performance begging for all the awards like Waltz and Dicaprio, Goggins and Jason Leigh are both fantastic, so good that they threaten to outdo Jackson, who's perfected this type of character to the point that it's hardly even impressive anymore. Goggins wasn't stretching too far from Boyd Crowder, but it's so great to see him getting the kind of showcase he got here on the silver screen. 

9/10

-Kevin Bacon

It's a really good, if not overly long, genre movie.  It's definitely not the best of Tarantino's work, but it's not the worst either.  The build up was the best part, and although the ending is quite cinematic, I thought the conclusion was rushed once things got going.

Great score and great cinematography, definitely the technical highlights of the film.

Weirdly, for as much build up as there is, the pay-off is kind of non-existent which stops it from being as good as it could.

All the actors do a great job, especially Leigh's character.  She was very dynamic and deserves the Oscar win.

-The Panda

• Like 13

Just now, grim22 said:

Hide contents

The Hateful Eight

QvJWq82.png

pGjNmOv.png

Another movie I didn't get around to watching yet, will probably rectify that soon.

BOF User Reviews:

A slight step down from Django but very good nonetheless. It does take a very long, leisurely route to the finale--but once it got there, it delivered and then some. Did an excellent of establishing each of these men as indeed hateful monsters who are guilty of racism, murder, torture, and rape (in a flashback that possibly rivals the Zed scene as the most unnerving thing Tarantino's put in a movie).

But, likewise, I struggled to really connect to any of the characters enough to be invested in the violence until after it happened. Yet, much like Reservoir Dogs, the movie shines in the aftermath of said violence, making unlikely allies and giving genuine surprises, building that connection that had been absent before. 

It must be said that while there was no show-stealer performance begging for all the awards like Waltz and Dicaprio, Goggins and Jason Leigh are both fantastic, so good that they threaten to outdo Jackson, who's perfected this type of character to the point that it's hardly even impressive anymore. Goggins wasn't stretching too far from Boyd Crowder, but it's so great to see him getting the kind of showcase he got here on the silver screen. 

9/10

-Kevin Bacon

It's a really good, if not overly long, genre movie.  It's definitely not the best of Tarantino's work, but it's not the worst either.  The build up was the best part, and although the ending is quite cinematic, I thought the conclusion was rushed once things got going.

Great score and great cinematography, definitely the technical highlights of the film.

Weirdly, for as much build up as there is, the pay-off is kind of non-existent which stops it from being as good as it could.

All the actors do a great job, especially Leigh's character.  She was very dynamic and deserves the Oscar win.

-The Panda

Opened here this weekend but I haven't got the time to see it yet.