Cmasterclay

2015 Awards and Precusors (PGA NOMS ON PG. 10)

Told you guys TBS would emerge as the front runner. So it begins. 

I think the big question is going to be can McKay also win director?  Miller and Inarittu will both make it tough for him. But I have to believe if they like TBS enough for it to win BP, then McKay stands a good chance since it is very much him that makes that movie work. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I won't rule out a dominance by The Big Short. The only category it really doesn't have a shot in even if the film gains momentum is Supporting Actor (Bale is already an Oscar winner so I don't see how he'll dethrone Sly).

Director? Are you kidding me?

Critic' Choise: since 2000 ---> missed 4 times BP (2004-2005-2010-2014) This Year Spotlight

PGA: since 2000 ---> missed 4 times BP (2001-2004-2005-2006) This Year The Big Short

I just hope TBG doesn't win: I mean, it's an Ok movie but, seriously, Best Picture?

4 hours ago, zenithtim said:

So it is the new Oscar frontrunner as the last time Oscars and PGA Awards disagreed was 2006.

That's a great comparison for this year though. I think it was the last year that no one was sure what's winning before the ceremony. Babel won the SAG, Departed won DGA and Little Miss Sunshine won PGA.

I can see Miller winning DGA and Spotlight the SAG.

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

That's a great comparison for this year though. I think it was the last year that no one was sure what's winning before the ceremony. Babel won the SAG, Departed won DGA and Little Miss Sunshine won PGA.

I can see Miller winning DGA and Spotlight the SAG.

Little Miss Sunshine won SAG.

Babel won Best Drama at the Globes. The Queen won Best Picture at BAFTA.

• Like 2

it's a little different now. ever since best picture expanded it's line-up so did the pga and they both changed their voting system and now they're the only two awards shows with that voting system. and since then the pga winner always got the oscar. except gravity, but that tied with 12 years at pga so i'm sure that was a cloooose year.

• Like 2

There is something hilariously ironic about how in the year where a lack of diversity is the most controversial aspect of the Oscar season, the movie that is the frontrunner now is the Best Picture nominee that could literally be summed up as "white dudes in suits argue with each other about stock stuff." :stirthepot:

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

There is something hilariously ironic about how in the year where a lack of diversity is the most controversial aspect of the Oscar season, the movie that is the frontrunner now is the Best Picture nominee that could literally be summed up as "white dudes in suits argue with each other about stock stuff." :stirthepot:

If we're making diversity all about race, sure. However, if we're talking about diversity in the sense of genre and types of films, TBS isn't exactly your typical BP winner. I mean the guy who's responsible for Anchorman and Talladega Nights may get an Oscar for a movie that still maintains some of that brand of humor in it. 

8 hours ago, Filmovie said:

Critic' Choise: since 2000 ---> missed 4 times BP (2004-2005-2010-2014) This Year Spotlight

PGA: since 2000 ---> missed 4 times BP (2001-2004-2005-2006) This Year The Big Short

I just hope TBG doesn't win: I mean, it's an Ok movie but, seriously, Best Picture?

I'm with you brother,  TBS would be the worst BP winner since Chicago

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If we're making diversity all about race, sure. However, if we're talking about diversity in the sense of genre and types of films, TBS isn't exactly your typical BP winner. I mean the guy who's responsible for Anchorman and Talladega Nights may get an Oscar for a movie that still maintains some of that brand of humor in it. 

It's just the fact that the overall perception is that the Academy is mostly made up of old white guys, and The Big Short is arguably the most white-dude-centric movie of all the nominees what with its characters all dressed up in suits and arguing about stocks and the females staying in the background the whole time (like, Marisa Tomei has the biggest role among the women in the film and she's in it for 5 minutes at most).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's just the fact that the overall perception is that the Academy is mostly made up of old white guys, and The Big Short is arguably the most white-dude-centric movie of all the nominees what with its characters all dressed up in suits and arguing about stocks and the females staying in the background the whole time (like, Marisa Tomei has the biggest role among the women in the film and she's in it for 5 minutes at most).

Spotlight is pretty damn white as well. And anyways, both films paint white guys in a bad light when you think about it (i.e. white guys responsible for molesting kids in the catholic church, white guys responsible for the '07-'08 financial crisis). 

• Like 1

Huge victory for The Big Short. If it picks up the SAG Ensemble as well, I think it will be safe to call it the Best Picture winner.

DGA and the Directing Oscar are going to be intriguing races, to say the least. Even if The Big Short takes off as the Picture frontrunner, it would still be extremely strange to see a comedy director like Adam McKay picking up industry directing honors.

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Spotlight is pretty damn white as well. And anyways, both films paint white guys in a bad light when you think about it (i.e. white guys responsible for molesting kids in the catholic church, white guys responsible for the '07-'08 financial crisis). 

Another interesting point there: a lot has been made about Carol being snubbed and the only nominee to have gay characters of any kind is Spotlight (and even then, their only roles are as either pedophile priests or victims of the abuse). Eek! While I can't complain much about the nominees, I can't say the "diversity" issues are completely unfounded.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

rank the whiteness of the best picture nominees! bridge of spies, brooklyn, spotlight, room, the big short, mad max, the revenant, the martian.

Oh god, now we'll have people saying the treacly cliche ridden Martian deserves to win because it has a diverse cast. :sick: