Cmasterclay

2015 Awards and Precusors (PGA NOMS ON PG. 10)

3 minutes ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

I don't really follow awards, oscars etc. so can someone explain something to me.

Who chooses what role an actor is going to be eligible for? (as in lead actor vs. supporting actor)

Because Rooney Mara keeps getting nominated for Supporting Actress in CAROL even though she is the protagonist in the film, the main character. And it's confusing.

I think a studio just campaigns for it with fyc ads (because in that case they don't want two actresses in the same category and blanchett is first billed) and what not and that idea just gets into voters heads. Even the critics follow it even though they always complain about category fraud. Sometimes the Oscars go against it like when weinsteins were campaigning winslet in supporting for the reader and she got nominated and won in lead.

4 minutes ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

I don't really follow awards, oscars etc. so can someone explain something to me.

Who chooses what role an actor is going to be eligible for? (as in lead actor vs. supporting actor)

Because Rooney Mara keeps getting nominated for Supporting Actress in CAROL even though she is the protagonist in the film, the main character. And it's confusing.

The studio decides what to push the actor/actress for. That doesn't mean the Oscars/Globes/Guilds/Critics have to agree.

In fact the Globes refused to consider Mara for supporting.

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The studio decides what to push the actor/actress for. That doesn't mean the Oscars/Globes/Guilds/Critics have to agree.

In fact the Globes refused to consider Mara for supporting.

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think a studio just campaigns for it with fyc ads (because in that case they don't want two actresses in the same category and blanchett is first billed) and what not and that idea just gets into voters heads. Even the critics follow it even though they always complain about category fraud. Sometimes the Oscars go against it like when weinsteins were campaigning winslet in supporting for the reader and she got nominated and won in lead.

Fair enough. I can understand them wanting to push Blanchett as she's a bigger name, it's just really strange when you've watched the movie and the "supporting" actor is clearly the lead.

1 minute ago, Treelo the Good Treenosaur said:

Fair enough. I can understand them wanting to push Blanchett as she's a bigger name, it's just really strange when you've watched the movie and the "supporting" actor is clearly the lead.

It's a dumb thing to try and maximize winning potential. Especially when an actor/actress has two lead performances that can't both be nominated for Lead Actor, due to one of the dumbest Oscar rules out there.

• Like 1

Mad Max was the runner-up. Spotlight swept all three today. Boyhood swept all three on the same day last year, but Spotlight seems like more of a favorite. Spotlight's first three BP wins of the season. Tally so far

BP

Spotlight: 3

Mad Max: 2

Carol: 1

BD

Miller: 3

Haynes: 2

McCarthy: 1

Actor

Dano: 2

Keaton: 1

Leo: 1

Fassbender: 1

DiCaprio: 1

Actress

Larson: 3

Rampling: 2

Ronan: 1

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I forget but whichever one of you motherfuckers told me no dice after I said spotlight would win most of the critic awards hardyharhare

Might be that person who said Spotlight would lose BP because it was essentially Boyhood