Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

I think Hitchcock will get votes from many of the same people who nominated Midnight in Parisjust as,Silver Linings Playbook = The DescendantsThe Master = The Tree of LifeBeasts of the Southern Wild = Winter's BoneLife of Pi = HugoArgo = Moneyball/The Social NetworkLincoln = War Horse

Edited by pieman

I think that the problem with Argo is that like Ip in the Air which I think is a perfect comparison for Argo it's peaking too early. It's been seen now, so the only way for it to sustain it's momentum IMO is if it wins critics awards but I really don't see it winning enough over the likes of Amour, and The Master to sustain it's momentum. Plus even if te more mainstream awards decide to go with something mainstream SLP is probably the better bet.I think that the 2 frontrunners we'll end up with in 2 months will be Les Mis and either Lincoln or Pi. Les Mis's buzz is high but it hasn't been seen yet, so when it gets screened to guilds and it gets released on Christmas all that energy and the energy from the probably phenomenal BO will carry it's already high momentum all the way through to the Oscars.

I think that the problem with Argo is that like Ip in the Air which I think is a perfect comparison for Argo it's peaking too early. It's been seen now, so the only way for it to sustain it's momentum IMO is if it wins critics awards but I really don't see it winning enough over the likes of Amour, and The Master to sustain it's momentum. Plus even if te more mainstream awards decide to go with something mainstream SLP is probably the better bet.I think that the 2 frontrunners we'll end up with in 2 months will be Les Mis and either Lincoln or Pi. Les Mis's buzz is high but it hasn't been seen yet, so when it gets screened to guilds and it gets released on Christmas all that energy and the energy from the probably phenomenal BO will carry it's already high momentum all the way through to the Oscars.

I agree. I think Argo is peaking too early. It will be hard for a film like it to keep its momentum. Ironically, if Les Mis was peaking right now, I do think it would be able to keep that momentum going because of the kind of film it is. But yah, Argo does have a lot to overcome in the coming months and the fact that we have such strong front-runners this years will make things though. Up in the Air peaked early and nowhere near faced the sort of competition that Argo is coming up against.

Up in the Air pretty much peaked after Toronto and Telluride. Ultimately, I don't think Argo will win Picture. and I say that as a huge fan of the film. However, I do think it has a better shot at the big prize than Up in the Air ever did. It's a stronger film.

• Like 1

It's too soon since The Hurt Locker to reward ZDT. It was also a huge stretch for the academy to give that film a best picture oscar and that was mainly motivated by the story behind it all (the first female director, the "david vs. goliath" story).

It's too soon since The Hurt Locker to reward ZDT. It was also a huge stretch for the academy to give that film a best picture oscar and that was mainly motivated by the story behind it all (the first female director, the "david vs. goliath" story).

, nobody really cared about THL, it was just a mean to an end :not giving a second oscar to a canadian that Hollywood kinda loathes.

, nobody really cared about THL, it was just a mean to an end :not giving a second oscar to a canadian that Hollywood kinda loathes.

Thank you. THL was riding the "lets make history and award a woman" coattails as well as " battle of exes" coattails. If THL was directed by Ben Affleck or any male and had that zilch boxoffice and no marrital connection with another Oscar contender, it wouldn`t have been nominated in any category.