#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Thursday Previews sellout report (Was too tire to post this last night)

Thursday:
Sold Out: 37
Showings: 61

probably sold out more showings with walk up business as strong as it was here.

• Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

IWP2 will be coming off of 11 years of buildup, unless Phase 3 is full of duds it'll be huge.

Marvel will never hit $57m in preview money unless they just flat out announce the release date as Thursday and put the movie in the heart of summer (July) instead of early May.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, CJ Ren said:

Bwahahahah at people thinking Avengers has a chance. That ship has sailed with Ultron. Jurassic World 2 won't do it either.

I don't see any established franchise (book, tv show, movie) that has any chance of doing it. Avatar, JW, Indy, forget about all of them. It's not happening.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

That adds up to 92%. What about the other 8%? Still though, 60% 3D is a lot and not surprising based on the limited number of 2D shows I saw in my area. 3D pretty much crammed down the audience's throat. Smart business decision by Disney and theater owners.

Those are polled numbers, not the actual split.  Deadline reported 10% IMAX and 47% overall 3D.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Here are Rentrack's numbers

Rentrak’s PostTrak unveiled last night the following audience breakdown (which they monitor throughout the weekend): Force Awakens is largely drawing older males at 71% guys, 53% over 25. A majority of the audience at 94% are grading the J.J. Abrams film either excellent or very good, which is a remarkable score rarely seen on PostTrak. Close to half of the audience say they attended Force Awakens because it’s part of a franchise they love. More than half the audience polled say that Force Awakens exceeded their expectations. 72% said they decided more than a week ago that they were going to Force Awakens, while 24% said they decided tonight to buy a ticket to the film.

Currently a majority of the audience per PostTrak are watching it in RealD 3D at 44%, followed by 2D at 32% and Imax 3D at 16%.

Keep in mind from a social science influencer standpoint what the fanboys think is largely irrelevant. in the influencer model, innovators (fanboys/girls at movies) are largely irrelevant to influencing people. They are seen as biased whether positive or negative so there opinions are largely discarded on a larger level. What is important are the early adopters (in movie terms the GA's who go to see the movie early on, not the fanboys). There opinion of the movie is what ultimately drives how positive or negative it will be seen.

fan boys hate this movie

16 minutes ago, #ED2-D2 said:

57M!

Even if it's heavily front loaded and follows Harry Potter somehow, we're still looking at a 110M or so Opening Day!!!

More like 120M, if it follows DH2.

57/70/75/57

127OD/259M OW

19 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

WHAT

I need to hear more of this :popcorn: 

Ahh the drama.  I think if I am rememberinjg (This was 7-8 years ago). He (or someone else..Mr X?) lost his sh*t and started to delete archived/historical threads etc before he left.   He deleted several of my favorite threads, which pissed me off at the time.

1 minute ago, Superdeluxe said:

Ahh the drama.  I think if I am rememberinjg (This was 7-8 years ago). He (or someone else..Mr X?) lost his sh*t and started to delete archived/historical threads etc before he left.   He deleted several of my favorite threads, which pissed me off at the time.

You've got some good memory, X deleted over 65% of my posts at BOM that October day, he posts on the regular at KJ, all is forgiven.

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's not that simple when HP8 release was 5 hours after SW7 but believe what you want. There are obvious differences.

I've said this before and it's been posted already today, HP still had about 40 showings at AMC Empire at midnight and after. Last night, TFA had about 40 showings between 7-5am.

Just because it starts at 7, doesn't mean all theaters go full TFA. Movies that came out at midnight usually did go Full new release.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

It's over as in it made more $ on a lot more showings? Cool story, tell us something we don't know.

If TFA did $50 million, you may have an argument based on earlier showtimes, 3D %, and a little bit of inflation.  But when the 57 number came in, there is no doubt.

For the record, I am not hating on Potter's amazing midnight performance in 2011 either.  Just wowed by that 57 million number.

Edited by Dark 33Legend of the Sith
  • Like 2