#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

2 minutes ago, Infernus said:

What about what we saw from Guardians of the Galaxy and The Winter Soldier and even, to a slightly lesser degree, Ant Man? Audience is loving the new characters. They only need to keep bringing in fresh characters and storylines and maintain quality close GotG or Winter Soldier and they will have a truly phenomenal hit in their hands.

I like GOTG 2 chances to do really well ESP after JW but I don't see it clearing HP8s total let alone this one. The fanbase just isn't rabid/big enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

It beat HP8 in admissions I don't deny that, I'm saying it was easier to get tickets & to see SW7 at a reasonable hour. That's all, it's worth noting.

Indeed it is worth noting.  A lot easier to get casuals to show up for previews as opposed to midnights. 

That said, this would have topped Potter with a midnight release anyway IMO.

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Thank you K1 for stating it how I intended.

Yeah, I knew where you going with that since I was there too. We'll never really know, but strong evidence here suggests SW would have won anyways, maybe if it was just at midnight it would have pulled in something like 47-49M ish.

9 minutes ago, Superdeluxe said:

Well that is good, If I remember right, he deleted Archangel's Lord of the rings mega thread.  That torqued me up,

He did indeed, I loved that thread as well. I can still remember all the bans (Sean went crazy over the smallest of offenses) that lead to X losing his shit.

Edited by B J

6 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

I feel like even if both had the same amount of show times, wouldn't it be easier for people to go to a 7 or10:40 showing than midnight? Definitely seems likes slight edge to me but given that (like someone beat me too) SW made 50+ vs say 45 or so, it just shows that it would of won probably either way.

Sure, but the argument could be made that Summer midnights are just as easy to go to.

• Like 1

Friday isn't going to be under the previews.  It'll be at least a 60m flat day, so 117m OD is the floor.

Saturday and Sunday are iffy, but with such massive numbers, there'll be spillover and we'll likely see a 234m OW minimum.  I'm thinking around 250m

• Like 1

I don't think it'll be as frontloaded as people are thinking.  Even the prequels had good legs, and those had massive openings and opened in the summer.  With the Christmas opening, it's going to play well through New Years 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, K1Rey said:

Now tell me, Harry was just midnight showings right? Whereas SW had 7pm and so on showings, which don't get me wrong this is fucking HUGE, but just putting it in perspective.

How many megablockbusters with Thursday previews have come anywhere close to HP8's midnights?

TFA didn't just come close or squeak past it,  it shattered a nearly untouchable record.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 3

Just now, The Panda Menace said:

I don't think it'll be as frontloaded as people are thinking.  Even the prequels had good legs, and those had massive openings and opened in the summer.  With the Christmas opening, it's going to play well through New Years 

Who are the people you're talking about? Most in this thread are referring to frontloadedness over the weekend, not the total run. It's gonna have a great total run considering the holidays and I think most people are pretty aware of that. Just look at the $800m predictions and whatnot.

• Like 2