#ED

Star Wars The Force Awakens: Opening Weekend | Actuals In 1st Post | $247,966,675 | The Force Awoke... and it's not sleeping anytime soon | 119, 68, 60

Ah. The meltdowns.

Anyway 120m is still fantastic. And prob heading for around 240m (my prediction in many places on here was 238m :) )

Out of interest in Australia after breaking the OD record on Thursday with 9.4m aud. we just broke the all time sat record with 6.3m (thanks RTH). weekend (in 3 days) is already up to 21m which already easily beats the previous weekend record with a day to play. SW7 is heading for about 26m AUD ow here. Crazy! (Previous holder was HP8 with 18m)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Pah, it couldn't even make 130m.

Hidden Content

I can't believe it's only the highest opening December weekend in just one day.  What an embarrassment.  #Crumbling

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

They don't change that much, jmo. The earlier shows become a big thing after a major tragedy occurred in the U.S. I can't speak on what you find impressive or not. That's your opinion. I just know that even the most impressive midnight numbers still had to do it with a boatload of showings and all of a theater's screens available for use. So to me it's all the same.

I don't want to keep arguing this forever but for me the argument comes down to whether the midnight shows are equivalent to an entire evening's business and I don't think they are. For a fan driven movie, the difference is going to be narrower but for a movie that relies on general audiences + fans, the difference between opening a movie at midnight or opening it at 7PM with shows running into next morning can be quite substantial.

Just now, Emperor Jajang said:

Ah. The meltdowns.

Anyway 120m is still fantastic. And prob heading for around 240m (my prediction in many places on here was 238m :) )

Out of interest in Australia after breaking the OD record on Thursday with 9.4m aud. we just broke the all time sat record with 6.3m (thanks RTH). weekend (in 3 days) is already up to 21m which already easily beats the previous weekend record with a day to play. SW7 is heading for about 26m AUD ow here. Crazy! (Previous holder was HP8 with 18m)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are absolutely insane numbers.  I want to post something here and show you how much it was ridiculed before.....left me find it (looks like I'll be right.....for once)

• Like 2

This is from the over 1.8 billion thread...in this post I said that the UK and Australia could combine for 250 mill, guys like Noctis scoffed at me and ridiculed this...but it could happen now:

here's the post:

I think I have tempered my expectations for this film, until now.  

The film has a very good chance of exceeding 500 mill in North America.  If it is really good, it could go much higher.

The international market, as many have pointed out, has never put SW on the giants list.  It has done well, but far from great,  I think that can change this time.  For one, many markets have expanded and two, the three originals did well 35 years ago.  With the returning cast, I think this will do very well in places that Menace did well.  China of course is a wild card here but with places like Australia and the  UK looking to do about 250 mill combined, the prospects look enticing.

I am still going to stick with 525-550 in North America but I think it can do about 1.3 bill internationally.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/17184-star-wars-the-force-awakens-over-18-billion-club/

• Like 2

Just now, rhsn said:

I don't want to keep arguing this forever but for me the argument comes down to whether the midnight shows are equivalent to an entire evening's business and I don't think they are. For a fan driven movie, the difference is going to be narrower but for a movie that relies on general audiences + fans, the difference between opening a movie at midnight or opening it at 7PM with shows running into next morning can be quite substantial.

Well, we're probably arguing this past the point of reason, I agree. :lol: But for mega-franchises like HP or Nolan's Batman series, theaters packed a ton of showtimes into the mid-night-6am period. The one other factor (which doesn't really have to do with midnights versus 7-8pm starts) is digital projection makes it easier to add shows on demand, and the general trend for Thursday night shows is to not rely on shows selling out but add a ton regardless: so in terms of data movies generally have fewer sellouts and more showtimes in the last few years. Something like DH2 and TDKR had both... it's worth pointing out that in my tracking reports for LA, before SW, only ULTRON (a 8pm start) was able to get more showtimes than TDKR (a midnight start). Every other major movie since TDKR, including JURASSIC WORLD, has fallen well short of its overall showtimes. So again, while in theory a 7-8pm start can potentially offer more shows, in almost every real world situation that hasn't been the case.

If SW beat DH2 by a million or two, I think these sorts of arguments would have more validity. But it crushed that record, and would've done so no matter when it started.

• Like 11

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

This is from the over 1.8 billion thread...in this post I said that the UK and Australia could combine for 250 mill, guys like Noctis scoffed at me and ridiculed this...but it could happen now:

here's the post:

I think I have tempered my expectations for this film, until now.  

The film has a very good chance of exceeding 500 mill in North America.  If it is really good, it could go much higher.

The international market, as many have pointed out, has never put SW on the giants list.  It has done well, but far from great,  I think that can change this time.  For one, many markets have expanded and two, the three originals did well 35 years ago.  With the returning cast, I think this will do very well in places that Menace did well.  China of course is a wild card here but with places like Australia and the  UK looking to do about 250 mill combined, the prospects look enticing.

I am still going to stick with 525-550 in North America but I think it can do about 1.3 bill internationally.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/17184-star-wars-the-force-awakens-over-18-billion-club/

Yeah, I never understood why people kept wanting to discredit its OS popularity? I mean the OT were huge OS for their day and age, and same goes for TPM. AOTC and ROTS were a little more muted, but still hardly anything to scoff at 13 and 10 years ago. It's like people thought that ROTS came out 2-3 years ago when in reality it was a full decade ago. Of course it wouldn't be a viable OS comparison. Anyone who has followed the market knows how much its expanded, this decade especially. 

• Like 3

Skyfall I believe is the highest grossing film in the UK with about 160 mill.  Most are saying TFA will pass that, which means it will have to gross about 80 million in Australia for it to to do 250 between the two...seems reasonable to me.

I finished Return of the Jedi, finishing my Star Wars marathon.  Despite the haters, I love the movie (not as much as ANH and ESB but still love it) and it's still an easy A+ for me.  The emperor scenes are great, and there's a little bit of an added effect watching the prequels after ESB and before ROTJ.

• Like 5