AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

Too many JJisms in this for it to be considered seriously for BP. His complete disregard for established and actual physical laws, and a total lack of understanding of spacial awareness for example.

Yeah, absence of physics in a sci-fi fantasy just... rubs me the wrong way!  Bleh!!!

I can't describe how envious i am of people like Baumer who were blown away by the film, emotionally so. I grew up through the orig trilogy, those films were my life as a kid.

Believe me, i was desperate to love the film.

I'd love to be on a movie high right now like many of you are so don't think people dissapointed by the film are only doing it to be different or 'cool', thats SO far from the truth with everyone who wasn't blown away by the film, i'm sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goldenstate5 said:

I'm fine if you didn't like it, but trying to convince people that this is the majority opinion and that we're all in "denial" like with TPM is really dumb

It's The Avengers thing all over again. Star Wars isn't supposed to be high end science fiction that grows older with you. It's 20th century's fairytale at it's finest. And The Force Awakens IS getting older, old and new fans together. It's an all ages visceral adventure, very much like the OT was. Whoever claiming that the critics are "liking the film more than the public" are truly the ones in denial. It's the same when people say that the critics hated Man of Steel but the general audiences love it. This is been loved all around the globe. By the critics AND the public, because it is indeed a truly amazing space opera like the OT movies are. If it's not your cup of tea it's up to you, but denying that and claiming that I'm being "defensive" for stating the obvious baffles me. 

6 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

That wasn't me dude. I want the film to be huge, i'm hoping i start loving the film with more viewings.

Its just to suggest the people who don't like it are trolling, well thats just dumb.

I never said that. What I've said was that posting reactions on the box office thread was forbidden by the mods - and I was right, since all the comments about that were moved. It's not about liking or hating the movie, it's about respecting the moderation's rules. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stuart360 said:

I can't describe how envious i am of people like Baumer who were blown away by the film, emotionally so. I grew up through the orig trilogy, those films were my life as a kid.

Believe me, i was desperate to love the film.

I'd love to be on a movie high right now like many of you are so don't think people dissapointed by the film are only doing it to be different or 'cool', thats SO far from the truth with everyone who wasn't blown away by the film, i'm sure.

Look on the bright side, the box office is fun as hell to track (legendary performance so far) even if the movie itself is not quite in that same stratosphere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

I have fuel to add to the Snoke is Darth Plagueis theory!

This is Snoke's theme and it sounds very similar to the music playing in ROTS when his Imperial highness, blessed be his cloak, Lord Sidious, was telling Anakin bouth Plagueis.

Plagueis is dead. Palpatines wry smile when talking about how his apprentice killed him (Palpatine himself) proves that he's dead, at least in Palpatines mind.

EDIT. Having said that, this is Abrams we are talking about here and we know he doesn't care about what has come before (Star Trek).

Edited by stuart360

18 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I haven't tried to change anyones mind, in fact i have said numerous times that i'm glad some people are liking the film.

Wasn't obviously talking about you.

You have my favorite movie as your Avatar so you re obviously a  person with taste.

My only grip with some fans is that they have a too high idea/opinion of what Star Wars is or should be.

They worship & put the OT or sometimes only EP 4&5 ( Ewoks killed Star Wars for some) on such a "stupid", high pedestal that nothing is never good enough for them when it comes to Star Wars.

They dream and fantasize of a Star Wars that don't really exist IMO.

Those movies were conceived as children fantasy/adventure movie not some sort of deep thing or something.

There is clearly a disconnect between the intent and what some people get out from the OT, at least to me.

Not sure if I am clear.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Plagueis is dead. Palpatines wry smile when talking about how his apprentice killed him (Palpatine himself) proves that he's dead, at least in Palpatines mind.

EDIT. Having said that, this is Abrams we are talking about here and we know he doesn't care about what has come before (Star Trek).

Misread...a death could have been young padawan.

I dunno Plagueis could manipulate midichlorians to make life...wouldn't surprise me if he found a way to save himeslf.

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You have my favorite movie as your Avatar so you re obviously a  person with taste.

My only grip with some fans is that they have a too high idea/opinion of what Star Wars is or should be.

They worship & put the OT or sometimes only EP 4&5 ( Ewoks killed Star Wars for some) on such a "stupid", high pedestal that nothing is never good enough for them when it comes to Star Wars.

Those movies were conceived as children fantasy/adventure movie not some sort of deep thing or something.

There is clearly a disconnect between the intent and what some people get out from the OT, at least to me.

Not sure if I am clear.

I'd give you a thousand likes just for that comment. ALIENS is, and always will be, no.1!. I never knew it was your fave film Futurist.

By the way, anyone else have problems trying to back out of certain threads?, its annoying.

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not sure if I am clear.

Fantastic points!! Totally agree despite some of the SW movies being my favorite ever!

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Not sure if I am clear.

I understand where you are coming from and mostly agree, but there is some pretty deep stuff in Empire Strikes Back.

2 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Misread...a death could have been young padawan.

I dunno Plagueis could manipulate midichlorians to make life...wouldn't surprise me if he found a way to save himeslf.

I think its more likely that Snoke is a warped Palpatine clone. One of the very first rumours, when the film was announced, was that there would be a Palpatine clone in the film.

I could ramble about Aliens all day you have no idea how bad it is.

I think the movie is as important in sci fi history as Star Wars & the first Alien.

The world building Cameron did for that movie is insane.

The Alien Queen is my favorite movie monster ever and both Giger & Stan Winston were geniuses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The remake aspect doesn't bother me but having a Third Death Star could have been avoided IMO.

It's not about just the old fans anymore. It's about the new generation. I don't even see it as a homage to A New Hope, the thing is that Star Wars mythology does mirror some of its beats. This is popcorn blockbuster fun at it's most finest. There's truly a new generation "awakening" to Star Wars now, and with a movie that it's by general consensus at least as good as the OT movies. I think that's the biggest accomplishment here: if bad films like the prequels made the Star Wars mythology bigger, imagine what an amazing and worthy of the OT films will be. 

15 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The remake aspect doesn't bother me but having a Third Death Star could have been avoided IMO.

I agree. Although I don't see quite see it as a remake. Definitely some recycled plot elements and lots of fan service, but there was a fair amount of deviation from ANH's structure, IMO. Can't blame people for wanting more originality though. I more or less guessed we would be getting something close to ANH and was OK with it. It's interesting how many enjoyed Creed (which I really, really liked) which essentially uses the same Rocky formula. But it's probably a matter of how well people thought it was executed.

Edited by Jayhawk the Hutt
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk the Hutt said:

I agree. Although I don't see quite see it as a remake. Definitely some recycled plot elements and lot of fan service, but there was a fair amount of deviation from ANH's structure, IMO. Can't blame people for wanting more originality though. I more or less guessed we would be getting something close to ANH and was OK with it. It's interesting how many enjoyed Creed (which I really, really liked) which essentially uses the same Rocky formula. But it's probably a matter of well people thought it was executed.

I mean even if you re not a big geek and you ve seen the OT, people will be like, ok, Death Star 1 didn't work out, Death Star 2 either, a third one, really ?

Those nazi-like guys never learn !

• Like 2