AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 hour ago, GirafficPark said:

No scifi makes sence from a physics point of view, but most at least have their own rules, even star wars. What JJ does in his films is just plain stupid and illogical. That scene could have been handled a lot lot better with no loss to the story or spectacle. Quite the reverse.

10 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I had a really a good time with several nagging caveats. It bothered me how well Finn and Rey fought Kylo. Didn't Luke have to spend a whole movie training to fight (and lose to) Vader. How are they so good with a lightsaber? That also ties into Rey's effortless use of the Force. How much training does she actually need from Luke? She seems way ahead of the game.

It's all part of the story.  You don't think it's possible that she had training as a yongster with dear old dad, and then when they separated, she either forgot or had some kind of memory wipe so that she didn't know anything about it?  Makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 2

since I finally posted a longer review in that thread, and seeing stuff in here.  I really didn't realize some people had so many issues with the film.  It appears to be the only place I have seen that.

Not saying everyone has to like it, nor am I one of those that need to convert people to liking it.  Hey, hate it for all I care :P   

but I am a bit "shocked" with some of the complaints.  Oh well, everyone likes what they like :) 

• Like 2

Eh, I get what you guys are saying but it still doesn't work for me. I don't think they showed the injury being enough of a hinderance while fighting. Besides that, Finn and Rey were both simply too crafty with it despite never touching it before (Finn's brief fight earlier aside). Also, hasn't Kylo been training since childhood? One would expect him to be pretty damn good at this point. It's not like he started doing this last month. Throughout the entire movie, he's shown to have incredible use of the Force. Not trying to nitpick but I simply couldn't stop thinking about how ineffectual Kylo was made to look there.

That said, Rey getting the saber was a great moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I do think that there's a lot more than meets the eye with Finn. Rey is Luke's daughter and I do think she HAD trainment as a kid before. Also I think that she's as much powerful as Anakin if not more, somehow Luke or someone else made her forget about happened to her and her parents. She thinks that Luke Skywalker is just a myth, but it's clear by the end of the film that she got flashbacks from things from her past that hints that she should remember who her father is. My guess is that she was one of the kids being trained, and Ben Kenobi was moved out of jealousy of Luke's way more powerful daughter when they were younger, that's what starts his descent to the dark side. 

I love the idea that Finn can tap into the force, but I still feel there's something about him that it's just not clear enough. I just love these new characters to death, and remember what Snoke said: "there has been an awakening", and right afterwards he indicates that something else has happened. My guess that's Finn. How he tapped into the force I still don't have a single clue, but I do think he does. 

I don't even think this is a theory, to me they pretty much say this in the film without actually saying it.

Luke trained many kids to become Jedi.

If Ben Solo is one of them, then obviously Rey would be another.  This is obvious because Luke is now the most powerful jedi in the galaxy, it's only natural that his and his sister's offspring are going to have strong abilities with the force.  

Her flashbacks at Kanata's (that's Canada's original name by the way...just saying lol.....Canada was originally called Kanata by the natives) show her being taken from her parents.  This would coincide with what was said.  Luke felt responsible for mishandling Ben, he leaves because the dark side is in him and so to hide his daughter, he basically goes in exile himself, gives her up to some other parents and possibly has her memory wiped.  But it's inevitable that it will return one day, and with it, all that she has learned.  

• Like 2

Baumer, a memory wipe or training she had as a kid? In the moment, there's no reason to think about any of that. Is it possible? I guess?

I don't know, guys. It's not a big deal (and I enjoyed the film very much), but I wasn't really buying it while watching it. I'm just going through the movie in my mind and what worked and what didn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Baumer, a memory wipe or training she had as a kid? In the moment, there's no reason to think about any of that. Is it possible? I guess?

I don't know, guys. It's not a big deal (and I enjoyed the film very much), but I wasn't really buying it while watching it. I'm just going through the movie in my mind and what worked and what didn't.

Well, you can like or dislike something for whatever reason.  I'm not trying to convince you of anything.  I'm just saying that at a young age Rey had training from Luke.  That much is pretty obvious to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Actually while I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to explain, it's heavily hinted during the film that what we and baumer are discussing is exactly what happened. You just need to fill in the blanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I assume it going to explain in episode 8.  I wish epiosde 8 was coming out next week already.

• Like 3

It's  said that Kylo Ren had a lot more training to do. Maybe Andy Serkis was hesitant for Kylo Ren to complete his training in case he pulls a Vader and turns on him? Maybe he didn't complete his training because they underestimated their opposition.

For a movie with a lot of issues, Kylo Ren getting defeated really isn't an issue.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Actually while I'm in a hurry and don't have the time to explain, it's heavily hinted during the film that what we and baumer are discussing is exactly what happened. You just need to fill in the blanks.

I understand what you guys are saying. Maybe I keep going back to Empire in my mind in that you might need some current training to even keep up. Rey getting some tips as a 5-year old twenty years ago (that she can't remember) doesn't make me think she can instantly wield a lightsaber with the best of 'em. Particularly with Kylo, who it's safe to assume has continued training after all these years.

Important to note: I'm not even talking about using the Force here. I'm talking straight-up lightsaber skills.

DAMN, I can't remember the last time I had such a geeky conversation. Good stuff!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, RichWS said:

I think there is something happening with the Lightsaber, I am the only one talking about it so maybe it s dumb but I thought plenty of scenes suggested an Excalibur quality to Luke s Lightsaber.

Why did she hear those voices in the cantina in the first place ?

Only the lightsaber was there.

• Like 3