AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Reading the reviews.

It doesn't take an MIT degree to see most critics (so not the new bloggers/fan sites millenials ones, children of the 80's and Lucas/SPielberg) don't care for fantasy, sf, super heroes, those movies, heroes and stories don't matter to them.

They don't "heart" this culture.

You can see the distance they have from those movies reading the reviews.

Like giving a great review to Star Trek while admitting  you didn't understand anything about the movie and its mumbo jumbo sci fi dialogue is very telling imo.

It passes over their heads entirely.

If they were entertained and didn't find the movie too dumb and liked the actors performances in it, they will give it a good review.

Most of the time they are even condescending about all these movies, they are not serious or grounded in reality enough to them to matter to them.

So you got to be a fanboy to review those movies? Like not giving a fuck about the Millenium Falcon making the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs instead of 14 has a bearing on judging the execution of a story and the direction?

I don't know shit about stock market and trading mumbo jumbo (and still doesn't give any fucks about it) so I cannot appreciate Wolf Of Wall Street as a movie?

You don't have to be a geek about any movie subject to judge said movie as a movie. It's the director's task to make it entertaining and compelling to the audience whether the audience knows the technicality of an "hyperdrive" or not. SW is visual storytelling at the core so the mumbo jumbo is not really needed to get the crux of the story. So if some critics get bored by it, the mumbo jumbo is not actual reason, it's that the story and the presentation are not entertaining enough because knowing what is a Bantha or the difference between a T-67 and a T-71 won't change that.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

Reading the reviews.

It doesn't take an MIT degree to see most critics (so not the new bloggers/fan sites millenials ones, children of the 80's and Lucas/SPielberg) don't care for fantasy, sf, super heroes, those movies, heroes and stories don't matter to them.

They don't "heart" this culture.

You can see the distance they have from those movies reading the reviews.

Like giving a great review to Star Trek while admitting  you didn't understand anything about the movie and its mumbo jumbo sci fi dialogue is very telling imo.

It passes over their heads entirely.

If they were entertained and didn't find the movie too dumb and liked the actors performances in it, they will give it a good review.

Most of the time they are even condescending about all these movies, they are not serious or grounded in reality enough to them to matter to them.

They also care about who is behind the camera and the cast. If they don't like one of these, the movie is fucked. 

9 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

So you got to be a fanboy to review those movies? Like not giving a fuck about the Millenium Falcon made the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs instead of 14 has a bearing on judging the execution of a story and the direction?

They are exceptions to everything and generalizations are simplification of reality but a cinephile/critic that likes Todd Hynes, some korean filmmaker, Innaritu, Haneke, Fincher  and have hard ons at night about Force awakens & BvS & Civil War must be pretty rare.

Your tastes in art often define who you are, for better or worse.

Between being a fanboy & being an austere film critic/cinephile, there are many shades of grey obviously.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I will be stunned if he doesn't love it. He has loved every Star Wars movie so far.

I will be as well, but it is possible because of the remake thing :ph34r:

OH MY GOD! 

I dont even know what to say. Im blown away. Im in tears from Hans death. Im ecstatic because Rey has to be Luke's daughter and im breathless. What a fucking epic masterpiece. Ill be home soon. I just. ...I.....my god. Wow!! Abrams!!

• Like 13

Just now, Baumer Fett said:

OH MY GOD! 

I dont even know what to say. Im blown away. Im in tears from Hans death. Im ecstatic because Rey has to be Luke's daughter and im breathless. What a fucking epic masterpiece. Ill be home soon. I just. ...I.....my god. Wow!! Abrams!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Baumer Fett said:

OH MY GOD! 

:popcorn::bouncy::excited::OMG::bravo:

• Like 3

I don't even feel like I can breathe a little bit right now. I'm kind of overcome with emotion. That is how you make a f****** movie. I don't know how they did that I don't know how they wrote it I don't know how they directed it but everything about that movie was perfect in my opinion absolutely perfect. I seriously have a single tear coming down my face right now I just can't process it all it's just it's beautiful. It's easily the best movie of the year and it's one of the best movies I have ever seen.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

OH MY GOD! 

Balance has been brought to the Force.

• Like 5

I liked it a lot, it's fun and it's energetic and the characters are all pretty well positioned to be made interesting in the next one

But it really is two hours of fan service. Like JJ decided to nerd out and remake the first one and leave it to the next guy to do anything with the material, to contextualize everything in this

• Like 3