AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

Top character honors go to Rey and Kylo Ren. Ren's basically that guy who thinks he is the shit and can't handle it when something doesn't go his way and lashes out to overcompensate and mask his insecurity about actually not being the shit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Speak for yourself. I think it's a bad film.

That's what you get from a teenager and a prequel lover.

People, I told you prequels are poisonous and should be burnt into oblivion. Here we see their bitter fruit.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

Good but not great. Character work was fantastic. Rey, Finn and Ren get top honors. Hope we get more Poe in the future as well. I thought the first 2 acts were great but then the plot contrivances and conveniences just got in the way and took me out of the movie a little bit. It makes this a B+ movie instead of an A

Still a hell of a fun time and STar Wars is back. 

Edited by sdeezy

9 minutes ago, Dr 3va2an said:

Top character honors go to Rey and Kylo Ren. Ren's basically that guy who thinks he is the shit and can't handle it when something doesn't go his way and lashes out to overcompensate and mask his insecurity about actually not being the shit.

Plus, he's a guy who's good at heart (or at least was), but he's insecure as hell and has a ton of unresolved rage issues. I wish they'd gone into that a bit more, though I suspect we'll get a lot of that in 8. He's about the most-layered character (other than Anakin. Ugh) we've seen in the Star Wars universe.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Absolutely.  His scene with his dad, just before he killed him, was so emotional.  

I cried. Even as the scene was playing out and I knew it was coming; it didn't matter. Seeing a character that has meant so much to me for 35 years of my life was gut wrenching. 

Rey, Finn, Kylo(Ben Solo), Poe and BB-8 were all great. Ford killed it in this. His interactions with both Finn and Chewy were perfect. 

I was pleasantly surprised by humorous the movie was and by how well it actually worked. No stupid fucking poop and fart jokes here. 

Overall the the action was really good, especially the chase scene on Jakku, the attack on Maz's castle and the lightsaber duel at the end. When Rey force grabs the lightsaber away from Kylo I was like, HELL YEA! Lol

Negatives:

I think it was a mistake to make Snoke a fully CGI character. He looked very cg. You can tell they spent a lot more time on Maz Kanata as she had more screen time. Hopefully they'll work on him more for the next movie. 

While I loved the duel at the end I thought it was a little much that Finn was able to last as long as he did. That fight should have lasted about 5 seconds lol. 

Thats it for the negatives. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing it again. 

Right now I'd put it as my 3rd favorite SW movie behind only ESB and ANH

• Like 6

Just now, junkshop36 said:

I cried. Even as the scene was playing out and I knew it was coming; it didn't matter. Seeing a character that has meant so much to me for 35 years of my life was gut wrenching. 

Rey, Finn, Kylo(Ben Solo), Poe and BB-8 were all great. Ford killed it in this. His interactions with both Finn and Chewy were perfect. 

I was pleasantly surprised by humorous the movie was and by how well it actually worked. No stupid fucking poop and fart jokes here. 

Overall the the action was really good, especially the chase scene on Jakku, the attack on Maz's castle and the lightsaber duel at the end. When Rey force grabs the lightsaber away from Kylo I was like, HELL YEA! Lol

Negatives:

I think it was a mistake to make Snoke a fully CGI character. He looked very cg. You can tell they spent a lot more time on Maz Kanata as she had more screen time. Hopefully they'll work on him more for the next movie. 

While I loved the duel at the end I thought it was a little much that Finn was able to last as long as he did. That fight should have lasted about 5 seconds lol. 

Thats it for the negatives. 

Definitely looking forward to seeing it again. 

Right now I'd put it as my 3rd favorite SW movie behind only ESB and ANH

Well, the big thing Finn had going for him was that Ren was already badly wounded and bleeding thanks to Chewy. I suspect that a full-health Ren would have carved through Finn in about 5 seconds, and probably would have handled Rey in relatively short order as well.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Plus, he's a guy who's good at heart (or at least was), but he's insecure as hell and has a ton of unresolved rage issues. I wish they'd gone into that a bit more, though I suspect we'll get a lot of that in 8. He's about the most-layered character (other than Anakin. Ugh) we've seen in the Star Wars universe.

I really hope we get a lot more backstory on him and Snokus Pocus in Episode 8. That said, after killing his father, I can't see him coming back from that unless a sacrificial death is involved.

• Like 1

Isaac flashes a lot of charisma and fun in this but yeah his character really doesn't get much to do aside from being Pilotus Maximus.

Coolio said Domhnall went close to the Full Redmayne and yeah, in his big speech moment he walked right up to the line but backed off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr 3va2an said:

Isaac flashes a lot of charisma and fun in this but yeah his character really doesn't get much to do aside from being Pilotus Maximus.

Coolio said Domhnall went close to the Full Redmayne and yeah, in his big speech moment he walked right up to the line but backed off.

All of the characters are pretty broad, with any depth implied rather than explored

Hopefully that's a JJ thing and not a sequel trilogy thing

2 minutes ago, Dr 3va2an said:

Watch a Hitler speech on youtube and you ll see how crazy reality can be.

Hitler could become completely crazy in his speeches, shouting like a madman for hours.

I am sure it s the inspiration here.

Max von Sydow getting an "And" credit for 2 minutes of screentime and Mark Hamill being second-billed for 30 seconds of screentime was pretty hilarious to me.

Especially since the title crawl builds up von Sydow as an old ally of Leia's and Kylo knows who he is and he knows who Kylo is and yet the film won't actually say who he is and then he dies. :rofl:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Felt like there was probably more MvS that got written out late in the process and/or cut in post, a pacing thing

Wouldn't be surprised.

But now I am really curious what Lucas' original story idea was, and then what Arndt's original script/treatment was.

I was both overwhelmed and underwhelmed walking in out of the movie. Huh.

Probably will have a more coherent and definite opinion tomorrow having sleeping on it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr 3va2an said:

Wouldn't be surprised.

But now I am really curious what Lucas' original story idea was, and then what Arndt's original script/treatment was.

Star Wars fans always fantasize about what should or could have been ...