CJohn

STAR WARS TFA MONDAY ACTUAL - 40.1M, THE FORCE IS STRONGER THAN AVATAR! (pg48)

7 minutes ago, B J said:

early tuesday tally

Sell Outs: 12
Showings: 70

the train keeps rollin

Crazy.  I was an early believer that TFA was going to be big but this is something else.

I think we are in for an Avatar/Titanic type of run.  This is gonna be fun.

• Like 5

Just now, Darth AndyLL said:

Crazy.  I was an early believer that TFA was going to be big but this is something else.

I think we are in for an Avatar/Titanic type of run.  This is gonna be fun.

no, no films run can replicate theirs, this is just a massive opener with typical December drops.

1 minute ago, Jessie said:

no, no films run can replicate theirs, this is just a massive opener with typical December drops.

I don't care which version of run it will get, but  I too think this is and will be a lot of fun to follow

Out to work, only a 1/2 day today and tomorrow, a bit at Wednesday too, and then free time to a degree (still working at a project from home)

2 minutes ago, Jessie said:

sigh...

Typical December drops include 40m Mondays?... sellouts on Tuesdays?

These isn't anything typical about a 1 Billion dollar DOM grosser.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

sigh...

Typical December drops include 40m Mondays?... sellouts on Tuesdays?

These isn't anything typical about a 1 Billion dollar DOM grosser.

40m Monday was pretty obvious imo, its not an unpredictable box office run by any means. It is simply just a massive opener with typical drops.

Edited by Jessie

15 minutes ago, Jessie said:

yes. which to me is equally impressive.

No one thought you could do a summer like opening, let alone take the record in December. Once TFA did that, people started to assume it would behave more like a summer movie. Now it is showing it is not. When I say people I am referring to mainstream box office reporters/analyst.

This movie has HP8 front loading with Return of the King Legs(or better). 

Edited by tokila
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

It's not?

Can you give me a December movie that was comparable? 

There hasn't been a big opener in December to compare with because studios were too dumb to realise that December was perfectly fine to have movies open big. Its run is following box office patterns, here's my prediction from the 7th of December. I wouldn't have been a ble to predict the gross of say Avatar or Titanic, but this has been pretty easy so far. Sat is the only day I got completely wrong.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎14‎:‎49‎:‎07, Jessie said:

50m midnights

70m fri

82m Sat

61m Sun           263m OW

40m mon

38m tue

37m wed

24m thu

51m fri

53m sat

36m sun          140 m 2nd weekend

28m mon

27m tue

27m wed

18m thu

37m fri

37m sat

23m sun          97m 3rd weekend 739m total

final total - 950m ish

......................... surely fucking not

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

40m Monday was pretty obvious imo, its not an unpredictable box office run by any means. It is simply just a massive opener with typical drops.

yea. After the upward revision of Sunday it seemed Plausible. . Even with Avatar holds it would have been in the upper 30s, not 40ish. After seeing the Saturday totals no one would have predicted a 40m Monday. No one. Sunday gave us hope. Even then the hope became a 35 mil monday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tokila said:

yes. which to me is equally impressive.

No one thought you could do a summer like opening, let alone take the record in December. Once TFA did that, people started to assume it would behave more like a summer movie. No it is showing it is not. When I saw people I am referring to mainstream box office reporters/analyst.

This movie has HP8 front loading with Return of the King Legs(or better). 

no, a lot of us knew it could be done. Big Star wars fans aren't going to miss this opening weekend because of its December release, just like the 'fast' franchise proved a film could open big in April, or hunger games proved it in march. Highly anticipated films can open big in any month.

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

yea. After the upward revision of Sunday it seemed Plausible. . Even with Avatar holds it would have been in the upper 30s, not 40ish. After seeing the Saturday totals no one would have predicted a 40m Monday. No one. Sunday gave us hope. Even then the hope became a 35 mil monday.

well I predicted it so clearly not 'no-one'

Most of us knew that 48 sun was being massively underestimated anyways, it was never dropping 30%

Edited by Jessie

4 minutes ago, Jessie said:

There hasn't been a big opener in December to compare with because studios were too dumb to realise that December was perfectly fine to have movies open big. Its run is following box office patterns, here's my prediction from the 7th of December. I wouldn't have been a ble to predict the gross of say Avatar or Titanic, but this has been pretty easy so far. Sat is the only day I got completely wrong.

even you had a 40 mil Monday based off of a 260+ mil weekend. Your predictions were great. But also highlight how unique TFA has been performing. 

6 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I'm confused.  You're predicting 950 DOM and you are saying it's a typical December opener?

• Like 5

SW7 is not a Avatar/Titanic type of run, or any other type of run. It's a run in its own type. It did a lot of things that never happened before, like destroying the OW in Dec, and breaking both the OW record and the DOM all time record,

and it crashes the forum server more times than any other movie.:P

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Darth AndyLL said:

I'm confused.  You're predicting 950 DOM and you are saying it's a typical December opener?

its following the typical December pattern, just happens to be the first big opener we had there. Its going to be exciting seeing these big tentpoles taking full advantage of December in the future.

3 minutes ago, tokila said:

even you had a 40 mil Monday based off of a 260+ mil weekend. Your predictions were great. But also highlight how unique TFA has been performing. 

I based my Monday number of its Sunday gross, not the weekend itself.

Edited by Jessie