Sisters (2015)  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Sisters is an entertaining comedy that does exactly what you'd expect it to do, and not much more. Fey and Poehler are entertaining in everything together, and that includes this. It actually seems that the two of them have decided to do a high profile comedy just so that their other friends can have a comedic showcase on the big screen, which is fine. Maya Rudolph steals the show as the "villain" of the movie, but Santino Fontana, Bobby Moynihan, Rachel Dratch, and John Leguizamo all have memorable supporting roles that have better lines and jokes than most of the titular two. That said, the real breakout star of the movie is John Cena, who I wasn't particularly impressed by in Trainwreck, but he's utterly hysterical in this. Ike Barinholtz is the only one who gets short changed as the male lead AKA the exact same role Bill Hader played in Trainwreck, but everyone else has funny stuff, and he has one good physical comedy bit. I know I've spent most of my time talking about the comedic talents in this movie, and that's because everything else is blah and predictable. Plot, a lot of the humor, the setpieces, the shift to drama in the third act: we've seen it all before. In fact, the ending particularly brings to mind the girl power comedies of the early 2000s, just with an R-rated update. Sisters is worth a watch just for Fey, Poehler, and friends, but otherwise, fails to do anything truly unusual in the R-rated comedy genre. C+

A bit long and doesn't always click, but this has more than enough humorous moments that are provided by the always stellar pairing of Tina Fey and Amy Poehler (one gets the sense that the film would be better if they had little support of a script and had been left to their own inspired devices). B-

Perhaps the funniest film I've seen since the Hangover.  It's not Shakespeare but it is absolutely funny from start to finish.  They really just put a camera in front of everyone and let them run amok.  Horatio Sanz Bobby Moynahan steals every scene he's in.

8/10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baumer said:

Perhaps the funniest film I've seen since the Hangover.  It's not Shakespeare but it is absolutely funny from start to finish.  They really just put a camera in front of everyone and let them run amok.  Horatio Sanz steals every scene he's in.

8/10

I think you mean Bobby Moynihan. ;) God, Baumer, not all of these fat guys from SNL are the same ya know!

21 hours ago, Baumer said:

Perhaps the funniest film I've seen since the Hangover.  It's not Shakespeare but it is absolutely funny from start to finish.  They really just put a camera in front of everyone and let them run amok.  Horatio Sanz steals every scene he's in.

8/10

You haven't seen a 9 or 10 out of 10 comedy in the last 6 years?

On 1/7/2016 at 9:03 PM, In the Heart of the Tree said:

You haven't seen a 9 or 10 out of 10 comedy in the last 6 years?

Funniest doesn't mean the best.  

I would like to check this movie out when it hits DVD and bluray because I really enjoyed this film. Sisters is a fun funny comedy that has a lot of laughs I enjoyed the chemistry with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler as sisters it didn't feel forced and they seemed like they were having a lot of fun. The bits with tattooed drug dealing  John Cena and Bobby Moynahan as the class clown who still tries to be funny and takes the drugs I thought that scene was funny. Overall I really enjoyed Sisters. Grade:B+

I love Tina and Amy, but oh man fuck this movie. Felt like it was 3 hours long, no sense of pacing whatsoever.

It's a fucking tragedy. 35/100

EDIT: Of course, it was directed by Pitch Perfect guy, it all makes sense now. 

Edited by Goffe